Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-20-2016, 07:05 AM   #1

Florida to Gatlinburg

Headed to Gatilinburg next Wed/Thur. Plan is i75 N to Macon, then 129 to Eatonton, then 441/23 to i40 E. Staying at Imagination Mountain RV (formally Jellystone).

Any thoughts on this route for a 31' class C?

Also, looking to stop overnight anywhere from Commerce, GA to Franklin, NC. Anybody have any experience, recommedatons for a Wallmart or good boondocking place for the night?

Thanks!

2020 Forest River Sunseeker 2250SLE, Chevy 4500
c_ref is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2016, 06:58 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Hwy 441 and 23 in Georgia are good roads being they are divided most of the way through Georgia but somewhat busy in spots. Hwy 129 is divided out of Macon but pares down between Gray and Eatonton. Beats I-75 through Atlanta though. There are Walmart Supercenters along the route in Commerce, Cornelia, and Clayton Ga. plus one in Franklin NC. There's also a couple of nice campgrounds around Tallulah Falls Ga., River Falls at the Gorge and Panther Creek Campgrounds, and Tallulah Gorge State Park which is one of Georgia's finest state parks. You'll travelling through the area at the right time as the trees are just starting to turn color.

Navigating through Macon can be a little tricky as you will need to stay on I-75 into Macon (not I-475 Bypass) and south on I-16 one exit to pick up Hwy 129. There's a WM Supercenter just north of Macon and south of Eatonton on 129.
Old 10-22-2016, 04:51 PM   #3

Thanks for the great route info!

Old 10-22-2016, 07:16 PM   #4

There is a Walmart and a Home Depot right next to each other in Clayton, GA. They are located on the south end of Clayton.
Pickelhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 11:33 PM   #5

I like 441 from Lake city Fl to Eatonton. It gets crowded from Milledgeville North.
Old 10-23-2016, 12:44 AM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I would take 75N thru Macon and then in Forsyth take hwy 83 then work your way over to Madison Ga to connect to 441N. I would avoid the Gray and Eatonton leg for the more scenic and less traffic route of 83.
trimacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 06:40 AM   #7

Had a great trip and stay around Gatlinburg. Second time at Imagination Mountain CG near Cosby. Great creekside site, nice family run CG.

Overnighted at the WM in Commerce, GA on the way up. Took i40 i26 i95 for the return trip home, one day trip, no traffic delays (Monday)

Thanks for the help/advice!

Old 11-07-2016, 07:00 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_ref View Post
Headed to Gatilinburg next Wed/Thur. Plan is i75 N to Macon, then 129 to Eatonton, then 441/23 to i40 E. Staying at Imagination Mountain RV (formally Jellystone).

Any thoughts on this route for a 31' class C?

Also, looking to stop overnight anywhere from Commerce, GA to Franklin, NC. Anybody have any experience, recommedatons for a Wallmart or good boondocking place for the night?

Thanks!
Obviously a bit late, but for future reference, here's an alternative route to consider from the north side of Atlanta.

I85N to I985N; 985 splits off 85 in the north suburbs.

I985 tuns into 23/441.

In Dillard, GA (right at the NC line) and only a mile off 23 is River Vista RV resort. A nice place, with full hook ups. I think they are open all year.

Just north of Dillard, outside Franklin is The Great Outdoors, which is right off the road on the north side of Franklin. Again, nice place (but kind of "sterile" to us) with full hookups.

From the 85/985 split to Dillard is less than 2 hours, more like 90 minutes, and Franklin is another 20 minutes from there.

Just past TGO, a few miles outside Franklin you are going to hit a surprising grade...... Just be ready to be slow. It's not really too long, but it's just that you really don't expect an 8% grade there.

Pick up 23/74 in Sylva and head east to Waynesville and pick up I40 from there. A big downhill grade into Sylva and a very short, but steep grade up to the 23/74 intersection from the stoplight at the bottom of the grade.

This route is almost all nice 4 lane highways, as easy to drive as you will find. Not a lot of easy in / out gas stations though, but there are some along the way.

Some may suggest taking 441 over the park from Cherokee to Gatlinburg. Personally I don't think it is appropriate for big RVs to take that route, but some do. I think it is much more prudent to go around then over on I40, and my guess is that it proably only adds an hour or so to the trip.

Regards
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida