Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-19-2016, 10:14 AM   #1

Florida to Long Island,NY

I am heading to NY soon and will be trying 95 with my 99 class A and want to avoid tunnels and anything else I should avoid.
What route should I be using.
Nick

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2016, 10:37 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by seadaddler View Post
I am heading to NY soon and will be trying 95 with my 99 class A and want to avoid tunnels and anything else I should avoid.

What route should I be using.

Nick

There are two major possibilities as I see it.

1. I95-I26-I77-I81-I78
2. I95 to around Emporia, VA. Route over to the Chesapeake Bridge Tunnel. Follow up through the eastern shore of Va & Maryland into Delaware. Route over to the ferry to take you to Cape May, NJ. Then up the turnpike.

Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 11:16 AM   #3

I have done it a few times in my class C and toad.

As stated, I-95, I-26, I-77, I-81 north to, I-78 East.

Then I-287 South to 440 and the Outerbridge crossing, on to the West Shore Expressway. ( The bridge is named after a person, not it's position. )

West Shore Expressway to the Staten Island Expressway, I-278 towards Varazanno Bridge.

Once over the Varazanno Narrows, stay right, to head to the Brooklyn Queens Expressway, ( NO Belt Parkway, LOW bridges ) to Long Island Expressway East.

Many other options, but I feel they have more traffic and higher toll charges.

I don't leave that way, I take Throgs Neck and George Washington bridges to 80 West.

A former Long Islander.
Old 06-19-2016, 11:22 AM   #4

Florida to NY

Yes I have done the I-26 to 77 and we like it but very hilly and my gas 36 towing
my Honda fit is a lot work for my Gas MH I think.
And so thinking of giving I-95 a try with the MH but would like to do the easy I-95 but if I remember there is a tunnel in I think Baltimore no propane allowed
and just want to know what bypass around that tunnel would I need to know about,I think last year I remember coming to that tunnel and went into panic and got lost getting back to 95.
I make the trip to LI every year and usually go I-26 to 77 but want to see what 95 would be like,I retired from driving big trucks in NY for some 40 years so driving the RV piece of cake.
Nick
Old 06-19-2016, 07:43 PM   #5

I posted this on the forum that was moved.I'am taking 77 to 81 to 80 and
crossing over the George Washington towards the Long Island expressway.I'am
also avoiding tunnels.
purrin along is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 11:37 AM   #6

NY

I like to change things up every so often and when first moved to fl.
I would make many trips back and forth from Fl. to NY and would use 95.
But the last few years been using 95 to 26 to 77 to 81 and really like it and
also go by car alot but in summer we use the MH and this year will like to change it up and try 95 again but last year ran into a tunnel some place in Baltimore
and got lost and just wanted to see what other do when traveling on 95 north.
Thanks for any help.
Nick
Old 06-26-2016, 11:36 AM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
There are two major possibilities as I see it.

1. I95-I26-I77-I81-I78
2. I95 to around Emporia, VA. Route over to the Chesapeake Bridge Tunnel. Follow up through the eastern shore of Va & Maryland into Delaware. Route over to the ferry to take you to Cape May, NJ. Then up the turnpike.
Excellent suggestion for #2 - just a minor correction that the road in Jersey on the other side of the ferry is the Garden State Parkway - which more or less hugs the coast from Cape May to Asbury Park. To get to the TURNPIKE from Cape May is a) not recommended, and 2) requires taking the GSP north to I-195, then I-195 west to the Turnpike, which will be just east of Trenton.

The Turnpike is at the other end of the Delaware Memorial Bridge, which the OP would hit if he stays on US-13 NORTH all the way through the Delmarva Peninsula.

Don't mean to pick nits, but the NJ Turnpike and the Garden State Parkway are two different beasts, especially contrasting the northern sections versus the southern sections. If you're in Cape May, and stop and ask directions for the TURNPIKE, you'll get some really odd looks...

Tags
florida