Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-01-2013, 07:00 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Florida to Maine

DW and I have planned a trip from Fla to Booth Bay this summer. The threads I see says to avoid I 95 and to get off and I 26 to I 77 and then 81 and 84. For people that are familiar with this route I would like to confirm this is best way to go. Many sites say this is not a good relaxing trip due to the heavy traffic in the North East and that it is bumper to bumper traffic in Maine. Please advise me if you are familiar with this area and if not feasible I will plan a trip elsewhere. We have a class A with toad and that is a lot of fuel for something maybe not enjoyable. Thanks for your input.
jimlaurielucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2013, 07:12 AM   #2

We went 2 years ago and went up I-95 to I-64 and then over to I-81. We had a good trip and I-95 probably had the most traffic, but still not a bad trip over all.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:09 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The route you are taking avoids the worst traffic, which is in the NJ, NY City and south western CT area. Weekend/Holiday traffic can be heavy on roads like the MA Pike and 95 in ME. With that said, it is still a very worthwhile trip, and the traffic will likely not be anything you have not encountered in the southeast at times. As an aside, Route 1 in ME, though beautiful, can be very busy during the summer.

Travel safe.
Old 04-01-2013, 03:00 PM   #4

Florida to maine

We do this trip twice a year...the route you mentioned is the way to go. The farther north you get...the busier it gets. We always travel the last 2 days on a Saturday and Sunday...not a problem.
If your used to the South..everything is a bigger PIA the farther north you get.
Camping not as easy. Truck stops not as big, clean, or easy on/off. Etc.
We travel about 350 miles a day..if you need where we camp..
bandmbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 06:49 PM   #5

I have done that trip and strongly recommed the route you described. I just drove in a car the direct route on I95 from South Florida to New Jersey and back and I know I would have been home a day sooner if I drove the I81 route. I will be driving back to the north east this summer as I have family and memories there. If you are going to see the sights in Maine you will enjoy your trip more if you park your MH at a nice centrally located place and use the toad for sight seeing. New England roads in towns can be narrow as they were first laid out with horses in mind. Avoid camping in South Western CT. Mass has some nice spots to camp west of Boston and close to Sturbridge Village which I also recommend. Maine has some nice destination camp resorts around Sabago Lake that have all the facilities and are an hour away from US 1 and Kennibunkport. Lake George New York has some nice resorts and campgrounds. I will be staying in New Jersey this summer for at least a month at the Mahlon Dickson Reserve in Morris County NJ. If you head north before I do ( End of June through July) could you keep us updated on the campsites you stayed at.
D in Davie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:43 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Yes,where you camp would be helpful. Thanks
jimlaurielucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:10 AM   #7

While in ME, I encourage you to see THE REAL MAINE. This means yes do see Bar Harbor, Acadia NP and such, but the real Maine begins after Bar Harbor.

After BH, every road to the right leads to the shore or a cove. You will find villages with restaurants that have better and cheaper food than the tourist spots.

In mid August the wild blueberries are full, and 10 to 13 a quart in BH, but as little as $3 a quart in Whiting and other towns further along.

And the lobster is much cheaper farther "Downeast" also. And the farther you go, the more down-home it gets. Eastport is awesome. Enjoy your trip!
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:33 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
It has been mentioned that traveling in the Northeast is usually easier on the weekend. This is true until you get to Massachusetts.

Massachusetts can be busy all 7 days on the Mass Pike from Sturbridge east toward 290, 495, and Boston.

Once you are above Mass, weekday travel might actually be easier in New Hampshire and Maine. You will likely be taking I-95 in these states and there are more weekend vacationers clogging this highway rather than weekday commuters.

P.S. We are one of those weekenders clogging the highway
Norm Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:30 PM   #9

Florida to maine

Work your way north ...our last 2 stops are Staunton, Va. KOA...then Milford, PA.. Riverbend (I think)....then on up to Maine. It's harder to find a convient spot the farther north you get.
bandmbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:00 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
X2 what bandmbrown said. The spot in Milford is actually River Beach and is good for an overnight. http://www.kittatinny.com/camping/riverbeachcampsites
Great spot near us is Boston Minuteman in Littleton, MA, it is just off 495 and an overnight there will make for an easy drive to wherever you decide in ME.Boston Minuteman Campground

Tags
florida