Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-28-2007, 06:49 AM   #1

We are heading to Massachusetts via Knoxville, TN. We also need to stop in Freedom, PA, Washington, DC and Long Island, NY. Any suggestions on scenic roads to take or things to see on the way?

Also, we are new to RVing and were concerned about being in New England in the cold weather. Do we have anything to worry about regarding freezing pipes. We have a 2007 Hurricane 34b. Thank you for your help

Jason & Loveena Leonardo
2007 Hurricane 34B
2006 VW Beetle Convertible
Loveena & Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2007, 06:49 AM   #2

We are heading to Massachusetts via Knoxville, TN. We also need to stop in Freedom, PA, Washington, DC and Long Island, NY. Any suggestions on scenic roads to take or things to see on the way?

Also, we are new to RVing and were concerned about being in New England in the cold weather. Do we have anything to worry about regarding freezing pipes. We have a 2007 Hurricane 34b. Thank you for your help

Jason & Loveena Leonardo
2007 Hurricane 34B
2006 VW Beetle Convertible
Old 01-28-2007, 02:55 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Jason,
I can not comment on your Hurricane. I do not know how the coach is built. Some winter considerations, If your coach has all plumbing inside a basement and not exposed directly to the outdoor weather:
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI>the temepture must get into the teens for many hours for a heated RV to have a problem with freezing pipes.
<LI>If there is a basement blower connected to your furnace, turn it on.
<LI>If there is no blower, a small fan will help keep the air circulating.
<LI>Watch your prpoane and keep the tank full.
<LI>Camp where there are full hookups (this will be tough in the North in the Winter).
<LI>If there is no electric, watch your batteries and keep them charged.
<LI>Use holding tank chemicals. Breaking down of waste material can use some help, in cold weather.
<LI>Pour some RV antifreeze into the holding tanks. The kind one would use when storing the coach for the winter.
<LI>Full fuel tank when parking for the night. Winter is the time for condensation in the fuel tank. If you'll be running the generator, you can rest assured you have enough fuel.
<LI>Using portable electric heaters will cut your propane use, but there is no heat getting to the basement (via the blower mentioned earlier).
<LI>Last but not least, put a small glass of water in a compartment near the holding tanks. Check it each morning. If it remains water (not ice), you have nothing to worry about.[/list]
Now for the fun part. The places you mentioned make for an interesting route. I'd head North from Knoxville and do Freedom, PA first. This avoids traveling I40 East from Knoxville. Getting through the Smokey mountains can be an adventure on I40.
On your way to Freedom, consider stoping in Lexington, KY. Stay at the Kentucky Horse Park. It is about 1/2 mile from I75 and there is a fuel station at the horse park exit. Their sites have no sewer. They have two dump stations. Visit the horse park. At Cincinnati, take I71 to the Pittsburg area and Freedom.

From Freedom, I'd suggest traveling East to the Lancaster, PA area and see the Amish sites. If you've never been there, it is a great stop. You will leave a larger person for it (the food is to die for).

From Lancaster, head down to Washington, DC. Cherry Hill CG is a good choice for CG. They have full hookups. The bus stops at the CG and will take you to the Metro Rail station. From there it is an easy ride into DC.

From DC, hear North on the dreaded I95. Your on your own getting to Long Island carrying propane. I have not done this in 20+ years and forgot how I did it.

I hope this helps. Keep you holding tanks empty and all fuel full and there should be no problem. Lastly, watch the weather. If you can get the Weather Channel, so much the better. It the weather is bad, a night or two at a Flying J is much better than a rest area or worse.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 09:42 AM   #4

Thank you so much for the help!! We will let you know how we make out!!

Jason & Loveena