Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-21-2011, 08:34 PM   #1

Florida to Rocky Mountain NP

We are traveling to RMNP this summer from around the Tampa area. Last year we drove to Yellowstone, Grand Teton, and Mt. Rushmore. We took I-70 across Missouri and headed north to I-90. Any ideas for other routes besides going north to I-70. Trip went great last year, but just would like to take a different route this year! Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2011, 10:53 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
how about I-10 west throught the great state of Texas and then north through New Mexico to Colorado, Lots of great stuff on that route.

Dave1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 06:58 AM   #3

Thanks for replying. I have tought of taking I-10 but maybe using I-20 or I-40. Any opinions on which of these 3 would be better? We will probably have about a week to get to Colorado. We would like to see some sites along the way and stay at some nice state/federal parks.
Old 04-22-2011, 12:10 PM   #4

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to jdoc
If you take I-20 through Texas you will end up on I-10 at Kent, Texas. You will then go to Las Cruces, NM. Then you can get on I-25 North which will take you straight to Denver, CO. North of Denver around Longmont you will turn to the west and go to Estes Park Home of Rocky Mountain NP.
If you take I-40 you will go to Alburquerque, NM. From there you would take I-25 North as stated in the above papagraph.
On either one of these routes will see many different kinds of terrain.

Jerry
jdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 04:29 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
six days in not a lot of time for that trip, you will have to keep moving. If you come into Tx on I-10, the fastest route would be to go north to Dallas onto Amarillo then NE to New Mexico and Colorado. I take that route when I am in a hurry.

I-10 west of San Antonio is really pretty if you like Desert type terraine. There is Big Bend, Fort Davis Texas (home of the McDonald Observatory) When you turn north off I-10 you can see Guadalupe Mountains NP, Carlsbad NP, and the rest of the drive north through New Mexico is grand.

If you are in a Motorhome and like boondocking this is a great route to see! PV me if you want more details.

Dave
Old 04-24-2011, 06:49 AM   #6

Thanks for the suggestions. I would like to take the route to New Mexico and then I-25. Time is the only reason I might not. I am leaning towards taking I-20 to Dallas and then maybe 287 towards Amarillo. Any suggestions on this route, or getting around Dallas? From 287 I thought about continuing north on it. I also thought of maybe taking I-40 West from Amarillo and then catching I 25. Are there any thoughts on 84 or 104 towards Las Vegas, NM. We really won't have a lot of time to stop at places along the way. After last year, I told myself if I went West again I would take my time. Maybe will take our time on a trip out West after this trip!
Thanks again for all of the ideas!
Old 04-24-2011, 06:57 PM   #7

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
vw, fyi, 104 is a narrow 2 lane road. Narrow 2 lane roads in New Mexico are not known for being good highways. You would be better off taking 84 to Las Vegas.

Jerry
Old 04-24-2011, 09:33 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
my fast route would be Dallas, Amarillo, Vega, Raton, Colorado Springs. I have made this trip numerous times in the MH lots of good stops.
Old 04-25-2011, 11:00 AM   #9

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Agree with Dave1956. Will be using it again this summer on the way to Alaska.
Old 04-25-2011, 10:07 PM   #10

Once you get north of Denver on I-25 there are serveral different roads to access the town of Estes Park, which is at the entrance of RMNP. I recommend you take the Loveland/Hwy 34 exit. Loveland is a town of about 80,000 people and is a good place to stop for supplies, fuel, etc. From there you go about 25-30 miles due west on Hwy 34 to the park and it will take about 45 minutes to drive because of the mountain speed limits, curves, and traffic.

The Hwy 7 access through Lyons is another pretty drive but has more two lane mountain driving.
Old 04-25-2011, 10:17 PM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwdragster View Post
Thanks for the suggestions. I would like to take the route to New Mexico and then I-25. Time is the only reason I might not. I am leaning towards taking I-20 to Dallas and then maybe 287 towards Amarillo. Any suggestions on this route, or getting around Dallas?
US 287 is the "shortest" route from the DFW area to Loveland (It's a straight shot, decent road, and good fuel availability)then on to Estes & RMNP...

However......there ain't much O nothing for the 800 miles you are on it. If its scenery and sites you want...DON"T take 287. I take it 5-6 times a year because I live in NoCO and have family in DFW.
mythplaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 10:32 PM   #12
KIX

My suggestion to get to Dallas and 287 is to take I 10 to Mobile then Jackson, MS to pick up I 20 to Dallas. The road from Mobile to Jackson is divided limited access 4 lane.....good easy high speed road. Also, get fuel in MS.....it's cheaper
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 07:17 AM   #13

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I am pretty sold on the Dallas route and then 287 to Colorado. We will probably take a different route back. We just returned from Anastasia State Park in St. Augustine and are ready to travel out West again! It sounds like our biggest problem now is going to be the price of gas! I also noticed that RMNP has a shuttle in the park. Is it worth it to bring a another vehicle, or can you just use the shuttle?
Old 04-30-2011, 09:59 AM   #14

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
THe RMNP shuttle only operates WITHIN the park.

If you will want to leave the park, you will need alternate transportation.

What CG are you staying at?

mythplaced is offline   Reply With Quote