Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 07-02-2011, 06:07 AM   #1
Florida to Tennessee, (Not I-75)

We have made the run from Tennessee to Florida and back on I-75 many, many times (I don't even know how many)
Now that we have our travel trailer, we would like to 'meander' up to Tennessee from the Tampa Bay area. I have a cousin in the Tallahassee and we could visit, then go up through Alabama or Georgia.
Is there anything in either state that we might enjoy stopping by for a few days on our way up?
I did think of Helen, GA, but that's about it.
We are going to Crossville, TN, we'll be in the mountains there, so maybe not go to the N. GA mtns
Thanks for ideas and help.

wmiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2011, 06:23 AM   #2
Thor Owners Club
Maybe try I-95 to I-26 to I-40 to TN ... Stop in Asheville NC you'll love it... D

Dickson and Tracy
2016 Thor Windsport 31S
2015 Fusion Titanium Hybrid
Lemon and Tucker the Pups
Dixieray53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 07:02 AM   #3
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If you choose to traverse northern AL you might plan a stop in Huntsville where there is a significant NASA space museum.
Bill Burgner, '05 Journey, 350 CAT
'05 Wrangler LJR, Blue Ox Aventa, Air Force One
SVTotem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 07:13 AM   #4
Hunting Island State Park, About This Park - Hunting Island State Park - South Carolina Parks
Tom Wilds
Blythewood SC
2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
wildtoad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 12:26 PM   #5
I've done Tampa to Crossville and back and much prefer to meander. Here's how I go..

Up the Suncoast Parkway to the end, then west to US 19 south of Homosassa. US 19 to US 98, west on 98 at Perry. Stop for the night at Newport Campground (Wakulla County park).
Head west on 98, then turn north on SR 363, Woodville Highway. Approaching Tallahassee, turn west on Capital Circle SW and go around the west side of Tallahassee. Don't even think of going through Tallahassee; it's a jammed up traffic mess.
Continue on Capital Circle, crossing US 90 and I-10, and join US 27 near Lake Jackson. You're going to pretty much stay on 27 on into Tennessee. You may want to take a few bypasses; definitely take the I-185 bypass around the east side of Columbus. The tour of downtown Columbus is really boring and slow. <g>
Just plug along on 27 through Chattanooga and once you get across the river be sure you head north on 27, _not_ US 127.
Turn west on TN 111 (4-lane) to cross the ridges, then head north on US 127 on into Crossville.
This is a slow, meandering peaceful route, of course passing through many small towns; it's not something to do if you're in a hurry. There are many Georgia state parks along or very nearby US 27 and they're all first-rate.
johnhicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 01:37 PM   #6
Great ideas.
We'll look for things to stop and do going up Eastern AL and Western GA.
NASA in Huntsville sounds interesting as well. I've driven by it several times , so now may be a good time to stop.
Old 07-02-2011, 06:59 PM   #7
Vintage RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I wouldn't attempt to pull your trailer there but Highlands North Carolina is absolutely breathtaking. A drive under waterfall, a large one you can walk under (if you can do the hundred steps down) and another that falls off the edge of a huge lake like a giant infinity pool. The drive up is hairy by eastern standards (for the passenger at least) but very scenic. When you reach the top, there is a cute little touristy town with a great ice cream parlor. There are several campgrounds in the area and it's within an hour of Helen Ga.
Fulltime workamper traveling with Toy Poodles Cricket and Liza and Standard Poodle Gable
decodancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 07:20 PM   #8
Monaco Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Back on May 22nd, member rray32539 gave me this route here. I think it is a good one. He said may people coming from the north use it to go to the Destin, Fl beaches areas.

I-75 north to I-10 west
I-10 west to Florida State Road 85 north
State Road 85 north to Alabama State Road 55 north
State Road 55 north to U.S. 31 north
U.S. 31 north to Alabama State Road 106 west
State Road 106 west to I-65.
I-65 to Tenn.

The stretch from north of Crestview, Florida to Andalusia, Alabama is two lane, but little traffic. The route from Andalusia, Alabama to Georgiana, Alabama and I-65 is four lane, 65 mph speed limit, no stopping for small town traffic lights. You also avoid Dothan, Al also, which has a Lot of traffic lights.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.
Pogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 05:15 AM   #9
Thanks for the ideas.
We may even go over to Biloxi and/or New Orleans then up through Mississippi.
Just thinking right now.

Old 07-05-2011, 05:50 AM   #10
Monaco Owners Club
Stone Mountain in Georgia, is a great stop over. Nice RV park. I was there this spring. They have a cable car ride, up and down the mountain.
rebelone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 06:47 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If you take the Columbus Ga. route, stay in Pine Mountain Ga. on US27 at Pine Mountain Resort and visit Callaway Gardens.

Great place to spend a day or two.

Jerry & Patsy Potter, Taz & Jake Jr.
2000 Winnebago Journey
2006 Ford Explorer 4X4
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote