Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-07-2014, 07:01 PM   #1

Freightliner Owners Club
Florida to Wyoming and back in 22 days!!! Enough time???

My wife and I are thinking about visiting our daughter in Laramie this summer. Problem is, I only have 22 days for the trip. Is that pushing the limits on driving time per day. I do want to enjoy the trip, but I am afraid I will feel like I would be watching the time constantly.
Our other option, would be to do a nice relaxing trip to Tennessee and North Carolina.

Any suggestions or comments are welcomed.

Thanks,
Tipaulfla
tipaulfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2014, 07:06 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
3 weeks is plenty of time for such a trip. You should have a great time!
Old 02-07-2014, 07:19 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Don't know how much you want to drive every day, but I can give you our experience.

We have family in Salt Lake City, go out at least once a year, and usually go through Laramie either coming or going. I do all the driving, and we usually take 5 days for the 2400 mile trip (the way we go), one way.

In past years, we have done the campground thing when traveling, but now almost always stop at WMs, Bass Pros, SAMs, rest areas, etc. for the convenience. If you decide to do that, I can recommend.
Old 02-07-2014, 07:23 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
A rough estiamte of the round trip is 5,000 miles. The question is - how many miles are you comfortable with driving a day? At 300 miles a day, you would eat up about 16 days in travel alone.

If you double that up ... say 300 miles early in the day, stop for lunch/early dinner - maybe a quick nap, and then do another 300 in the evening into night, you could do it in 4-5 days each way.

I'd think about where you are going to stay on the drive days. If you'll be overnighting in rest areas, walmarts, etc - then you'll certainly save a few hours each day vs checking in and out of campgrounds each day.
2Labs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 07:37 PM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Labs View Post
A rough estiamte of the round trip is 5,000 miles. The question is - how many miles are you comfortable with driving a day? At 300 miles a day, you would eat up about 16 days in travel alone. If you double that up ... say 300 miles early in the day, stop for lunch/early dinner - maybe a quick nap, and then do another 300 in the evening into night, you could do it in 4-5 days each way. I'd think about where you are going to stay on the drive days. If you'll be overnighting in rest areas, walmarts, etc - then you'll certainly save a few hours each day vs checking in and out of campgrounds each day.
thanks for your insight!!!
Old 02-07-2014, 07:39 PM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sealevel Ram View Post
Don't know how much you want to drive every day, but I can give you our experience. We have family in Salt Lake City, go out at least once a year, and usually go through Laramie either coming or going. I do all the driving, and we usually take 5 days for the 2400 mile trip (the way we go), one way. In past years, we have done the campground thing when traveling, but now almost always stop at WMs, Bass Pros, SAMs, rest areas, etc. for the convenience. If you decide to do that, I can recommend.
thank you so much girl the advice, if we go I may contact you.
Old 02-07-2014, 07:44 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
I prefer not to work that hard when I travel, but to each his own. I also hate blasting past interesting places and attractions without stopping to smell the roses. Nowadays I am less ambitious on mileage covered and I enjoy the trip more.
MRUSA14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 07:46 PM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
I prefer not to work that hard when I travel, but to each his own. I also hate blasting past interesting places and attractions without stopping to smell the roses. Nowadays I am less ambitious on mileage covered and I enjoy the trip more.
i couldn't agree with anymore. Unfortunately I still work send need to be back.
Old 02-08-2014, 04:57 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipaulfla View Post
i couldn't agree with anymore. Unfortunately I still work send need to be back.
we use this free allstays resource extensively to find overnight parking. this website is kept up to date by users.

Wal mart Locations Store Details & Parking | Walmart Store Locator

Overnight RV parking etiquette
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 05:45 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Agree with the others. If you plan to drive longer days and do your overnights in WalMart, Lowe's, etc., you will be fine. Cabelas has plenty of overnight RV parking.

Our first trip out West I only had one month to travel due to work. We left VA and went to Rapid City, SD, then to Rocky Mountain NP, then down thru Moab, Mounument Valley, then to Grand Canyon South Rim. We started back east toward home and stopped in TX to see Palo Duro Canyon, then traveled to St. Louis and stayed there for a few days before finally heading back home.

It sounds like and exhausting trip but we really never felt rushed. There were a few long driving days for sure.
Old 02-08-2014, 06:27 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Certainly doable if you're wanting to just get there.
We started out in Georgia heading for Yellowstone and went through Laramie. Took us 2 weeks to get there but we spent 2 days in Chattanooga, 2 days in Nashville, 2 days in St Louis, 2 days in several other towns. As you see we wanted to see what was in between home and our final destination.

We came home from Buffalo Wyoming in 4 days due to a death of a close friend and that was a hard grind.
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 08:18 AM   #12

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipaulfla View Post
My wife and I are thinking about visiting our daughter in Laramie this summer. Problem is, I only have 22 days for the trip. Is that pushing the limits on driving time per day. I do want to enjoy the trip, but I am afraid I will feel like I would be watching the time constantly.
Our other option, would be to do a nice relaxing trip to Tennessee and North Carolina.

Any suggestions or comments are welcomed.

Thanks,
Tipaulfla
Take the relaxing trip to TN. and NC.

Fly your daughter to join you.

Probably less expensive, and a lot more enjoyable than driving 5000 miles, unless you want to see the country on the way.
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 08:35 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Fly out, rent a car and stay at your daughters for 20 days.
Will be much cheaper and more relaxed.

Or drive a relaxed 300 miles a day for 16-17 days of driving and 5-6 day visit at your daughters.

Your choice.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 11:19 AM   #14

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
Agree with the others. If you plan to drive longer days and do your overnights in WalMart, Lowe's, etc., you will be fine. Cabelas has plenty of overnight RV parking. Our first trip out West I only had one month to travel due to work. We left VA and went to Rapid City, SD, then to Rocky Mountain NP, then down thru Moab, Mounument Valley, then to Grand Canyon South Rim. We started back east toward home and stopped in TX to see Palo Duro Canyon, then traveled to St. Louis and stayed there for a few days before finally heading back home. It sounds like and exhausting trip but we really never felt rushed. There were a few long driving days for sure.
thanks for the advice , I think I've been talked into doing the trip

Tags
florida