Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-11-2012, 01:57 PM   #1

Fort Worth, TX to Kemah, TX Route?

We will be going next week to the Marina Bay RV park in Kemah, TX (south of Houston), but really don't want to drive through Houston on I-45 but might not be too bad if we time it right. However, it looks like we can take I-45 and then go east by Pasadena on the outside loop, pickup I-45 again to Kemah, or come down through College Station, into the west side of Houston, getting on the W Sam Houston Tollway and then intersect with I-45 on into Kemah. My choice would be through College Station, avoiding I-45 but not sure if that would be the better route and also know that sometimes MH's pulling a toad can be hit with heavy tollway fees. Suggestions appreciated.

RJ
RJEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2012, 02:07 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
You can come down I-45 to the 610 loop, take the loop east to hwy 225 east. Then take hwy 146 south thru Seabrook and into Kemah.

Timing will be everything getting thru Houston. If you can get thru between 10:00am and 3:00pm would be best.
srx-6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 03:22 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
You don't want the toll road. Pulling a 2 axle trailer will hit you $4.50 per toll plaza and the toll bridge on the east is even worse.

As noted, between 10 AM and 3PM is the best time to roll through Houston. Personally, I'd just make a straight shot through Houston on I-45. You can go as note above with the 610 loop on the east side to 225 and then 146 south.

Taking NASA RD 1 from I45 over to 146 will be a mess...lots of lights and slow.

I45 between Huntsville and Conroe is really torn up...narrow lanes and idiots driving too fast.

A long about way would be to got Waco, them Collega Station, Hempstead, Brookshire, Rosenberg, Alvin and then over to Kemah. Not bad roads, but lots of little towns. Trying to take hwy 6 down from 290 and around....lots of lights and traffic. I'd take I-45 over Hwy 6.

Any that is my nickels worth.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 09:47 AM   #4
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Look at I-45 to Hwy 105 in Conroe, over to Hwy 146 and to Kemah. Easy road over to 146. Only traffic will be in Baytown and you can avoid all of that if you just jaunt East on I-10 to the new Highway 99 - I don't think the toll booths are open yet. The were not even completed 3 weeks ago. Hwy 99 will bypass all of Baytown and take you to the foot of the Harman bridge.

Or, 105 over to 321S to 146. There is a nice buffet Mexican restaurant when you get on 321.

As stated 225 to 146 is an option and it is a fast moving highway.

Just remember that all the highway system around Houston is at peak between 7 a.m. to 9 a.m., and 3 p.m. to 6 p.m. If you drive straight through on I-45 around 10 a.m. or 2 p.m. you may encounter a few slowdowns but even at peak hours the travel time is only increased by 15 minutes, UNLESS there is an accident.

Also, if you decide on I-45 through Houston, you can pick up Hwy 96 just South of League City. It is an easy ride with a few lights, two lane in both directions, over to Hwy 146. At Hwy 146 take a left, heading North, and about 1 mile and a half will be the road to the CG.

Any questions Holler. I live in TC just off 146.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote