Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 06-16-2011, 08:49 PM   #1
Winnebago Owners Club
Foxboro, MA to Central NJ - I-95??

I'm traveling from Foxboro, MA to central NJ right around the Six Flags park in Jackson, NJ. On the way up here, I took I-84 through CT. I might like to take a different route back down to NJ just to see some different sights.

What is I-95 like through RI and CT? I know I won't take I-95 through New York City, so I'd likely take I87/287 around the city and down to the NJ Turnpike. How does that sound for a route, or should I just stick with I-90 to I-84 to I-287 to get around the city?

Any help would be most appreciated.

2014 Thor Miramar 34.1
2012 VW Golf TDI - 6-speed manual (3 pedals!)
Better half, 2 sons-18 & 16
GA Cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2011, 06:24 AM   #2
"just stick with I-90 to I-84 to I-287 to get around the city"

You pretty much answered your own question. Last time we used I-95 through NYC and southern CT, I told the wife never again. When we came back up this year we used I-84 and then cut through CT near Hartford over to I-95.

Also, I-95 just north of Providence has a 18 ton, 2 axle maximum. So if you have a tag axle you need to detour the bridge. The fine is $3000 and they do stop motorhomes. Other than that, I-95 through RI and the northern half of CT is good road.

2006 Fleetwood Bounder 35E
Bob and Inga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 12:15 PM   #3
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Tappan Zee Bridge is toll free south bound. Stay away from GW bridge at all costs. Been there done that. Several times...
Tiffin Allegro Bus, 425 Cummins powered Freightliner XCR, Camp Freightliner, Honda CRV, tow-N-4 Down, U.S. Gear Unified Tow brake, Blue-OX tow bar, TST Monitors, Seelevel II Monitors, Samsung Res Fridge, Progressive 50A-EMS, No Kids-No Pets, Full Time.
bdaball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 12:53 PM   #4
Freightliner Owners Club
You can take I84 to I684 to I287 to the Tappen Zee Bridge.

After the Tappen Zee Bridge, you may want to get on the Garden State Parkway South which is much more direct route to Jackson, NJ (you will pay tolls though). Take exit 35 off of the GSP and then I-195 west. I-287 in NJ takes a circular route and traffic on the section between I-78 and the Turnpike can be as bad as anywhere else in the NY metro area.

The biggest thing to consider is when you will time your driving so you avoid rush hour especially on Friday night when everyone heads down to the Jersey shore.
Tom and Katharine
'07 Winnebago Tour 40TD, 400hp Cummins
RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 07:13 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
GSP vs. NJ Turnpike = both toll roads.

either is good to Six Flags, albeit the turnpike (I-195 interchange) might be a few miles closer; but not by much.
John, Joyce & Libby the Yellow Lab. - Fulltime since `08

2005 Kountry Star FW-35LKSA by Newmar
2012 Ford F-450 Lariat
K-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 07:34 PM   #6
Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks everyone for the input. We'll be traveling fairly early on Sunday, so I hope things won't be quite so bad, but I know, I know, things never work out the way you expect. Any time I'm up here in the Northeast, I'm ready to pay tolls, so that's not a big deal. I've just never driven the MH that much up here. I'm used to wide open spaces in southern GA!!

Looks like I might go with my original route, but change to the Garden State Turnpike rather than I-287 - more direct - fuel savings would probably pay for the tolls.

2014 Thor Miramar 34.1
2012 VW Golf TDI - 6-speed manual (3 pedals!)
Better half, 2 sons-18 & 16
GA Cajun is offline   Reply With Quote