Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-26-2016, 12:34 PM   #1

From Cody, WY East to I-90?

Headed East from Cody, I've read here that Hwy 14 & 16 are good roads. We think we want to take 16 on over to Buffalo & continue on I-90 back east. However, to get to 16 from Cody, it looks like one must either take Rt 30 or US 20 and/or Rt 31. How are those roads for a 32-foot gasser with a tow?

And are there any places to pull off in Ten Sleep or Buffalo to have lunch or walk around the the main streets in these two old towns?

Thanks you!

McGarrett50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2016, 04:56 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
US 14 and US 16 both go over mountain passes, requiring good long grades to get to the summit. Of the two, US 16 is far easier than US 14. From Cody, you'll go east on US 14 until Greybull, then south on US 20 to Worland, pick up US 16 and follow it through the Big Horn Mountains until Buffalo and I-90.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 09:48 AM   #3
doc

Appalachian Campers
BFlinn nailed it. We have made that trip several times. The only thing that gave us pause a few years ago when we were heading west on 16 was the switch backs taking us down the canyon into Ten Sleep. It looked like we were driving over the edge - which is what we were doing actually. Not a big deal either direction and the scenery is great. We will likely make that trip east - west again this year.
Old 03-27-2016, 11:39 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You've chosen some of the most scenic travel routes in the country. We've been on 14 and 16 multiple times both east and west bound with our 43' and toad. I agree that 16 is 'easier' - 14 is very doable and our preferred route for the following reasons:
- Shell Canyon on 14 is a great pull-out (takes Tour busses [if its full you just have to drive on by, but that gives you a reason to use the campground below and just take the toad back])
- Just east of Burgess Junction (14 and 14A) there's a great Forest Service campground that takes our rig with electric hook-up (Sibley Lake)
- Immediately east is a large RV dump station
- There are at least 3 other private / public campgrounds that have a mix of hook-ups
- From Sibley we travel the area off-road to find the large elk herds and moose; we've had moose walking through the campground and they often bed-down within 10 minutes walking distance
- If you fish there are great creeks - notice the vehicles pulled over the road side, and always watch for moose
- In Buffalo we've used Indian Campground for the last 10 years

If you come in on 16 Ten Sleep does have places for parking rigs for the day. Buffalo also has parking immediately west of town (~ 1/2 mile from the main street intersection [I think that's the first stop light you encounter])

Whichever route you choose we hope you'll plan a couple of days to just enjoy the high country - pack a picnic lunch and go exploring ...

Questions welcomed ... safe travels ...
Old 03-27-2016, 08:36 PM   #5

If you want to go a much easier way, take 120 north out of Cody to Laurel & pick up I-90 there.
There are no mountain passes & with a gasser pulling a toad I wouldn't go to 16 & definitely wouldn't take 14.
Old 03-27-2016, 08:50 PM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtovo View Post
If you want to go a much easier way, take 120 north out of Cody to Laurel & pick up I-90 there.
There are no mountain passes & with a gasser pulling a toad I wouldn't go to 16 & definitely wouldn't take 14.
Wow, why not just fly and avoid all the mountains! You'll get plenty of prairie and arid landscape crossing South Dakota, why add in eastern Montana and northern Wyoming? He could also route down I-25 to Cheyenne and avoid the mountains, then enjoy the plains of Nebraska.

U.S. 16 is a fine, 2 lane road with passing lanes on many up-grades. My 210 hp diesel did it without issues, towing a VW Beetle. I wouldn't hesitate to send someone that way and even envy them the scenery through the Big Horns.

Bob & Donna
Old 03-28-2016, 07:39 AM   #7

That's why there are several auto repair places that do nothing but replace brakes on 16 in Ten Sleep.
If you want to see scenery unhook your toad & really enjoy it.
Old 03-28-2016, 07:52 AM   #8

McGarrett50,
There was a very informative post on this subject made by Cruiser, sure this forum & read it.
Old 03-28-2016, 08:47 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post

U.S. 16 is a fine, 2 lane road with passing lanes on many up-grades. My 210 hp diesel did it without issues, towing a VW Beetle. I wouldn't hesitate to send someone that way and even envy them the scenery through the Big Horns.
Thanks all for the replies. BFlinn181, how do you think a 32 Foot Gas on a new Ford V-10 w/ a tow, would do on 16?
Old 03-28-2016, 09:00 AM   #10

There is a great little KOA in Greybull. They even have an in house restraunt. It is right downtown Greybull. Have done both 16and14 in both directions pulling a 43 foot 5th wheel. 14 has the best scenery but 16 is much easier on you equipment 14 is a great motorcycle road and we did it many times while staying at the KOA in Greybull.
Old 03-28-2016, 09:46 AM   #11

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGarrett50 View Post
Thanks all for the replies. BFlinn181, how do you think a 32 Foot Gas on a new Ford V-10 w/ a tow, would do on 16?
I worked for almost 20 years in the Greater Yellowstone area and drove most major highways in Wyoming. The biggest employer in Wyoming was the Department of Transportation. Most every road has a wide berm and well maintained. Your V-10 is well suited for hills, the engine braking is a nice feature.

I doubt if Ten Sleep has any more brake shops than any town it's size. (population, 257) Driving a large vehicle in the mountains is just a matter of paying attention. Use your brakes like they are precious. Downshift to maintain speed, not brakes. When using the brakes, apply firmly and drop speed by 10 mph or more, THEN TAKE FOOT OFF THE PEDAL. If you feel like you used the brakes a lot, pull off and admire the scenery for a bit.

I live in Cincinnati, a city of hills. Every day I see folks riding the brakes all the way down grades they should have downshifted on. That kind of behavior makes for brake shop business!

Bob & Donna
Old 03-29-2016, 08:05 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
I worked for almost 20 years in the Greater Yellowstone area and drove most major highways in Wyoming. The biggest employer in Wyoming was the Department of Transportation. Most every road has a wide berm and well maintained. Your V-10 is well suited for hills, the engine braking is a nice feature.

I doubt if Ten Sleep has any more brake shops than any town it's size. (population, 257) Driving a large vehicle in the mountains is just a matter of paying attention. Use your brakes like they are precious. Downshift to maintain speed, not brakes. When using the brakes, apply firmly and drop speed by 10 mph or more, THEN TAKE FOOT OFF THE PEDAL. If you feel like you used the brakes a lot, pull off and admire the scenery for a bit.

I live in Cincinnati, a city of hills. Every day I see folks riding the brakes all the way down grades they should have downshifted on. That kind of behavior makes for brake shop business!
Hi Bob - This is great information! I use the tow feature all the time and the engine braking works great and using the gear box for ups and downs is what it's there for. Appreciate the expert confirmation!

I grew up & worked in Cincinnati and know the hills there very well. We spent 9 days at Winton Woods last summer at the beginning of our midwest adventure and probably will be there for a few days just before Labor Day this year on our return from out west.
Old 03-29-2016, 09:23 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lv2Roam2 View Post
You've chosen some of the most scenic travel routes in the country. We've been on 14 and 16 multiple times both east and west bound with our 43' and toad. I agree that 16 is 'easier' - 14 is very doable and our preferred route for the following reasons:
- Shell Canyon on 14 is a great pull-out (takes Tour busses [if its full you just have to drive on by, but that gives you a reason to use the campground below and just take the toad back])
- Just east of Burgess Junction (14 and 14A) there's a great Forest Service campground that takes our rig with electric hook-up (Sibley Lake)
- Immediately east is a large RV dump station
- There are at least 3 other private / public campgrounds that have a mix of hook-ups
- From Sibley we travel the area off-road to find the large elk herds and moose; we've had moose walking through the campground and they often bed-down within 10 minutes walking distance
- If you fish there are great creeks - notice the vehicles pulled over the road side, and always watch for moose
- In Buffalo we've used Indian Campground for the last 10 years

If you come in on 16 Ten Sleep does have places for parking rigs for the day. Buffalo also has parking immediately west of town (~ 1/2 mile from the main street intersection [I think that's the first stop light you encounter])

Whichever route you choose we hope you'll plan a couple of days to just enjoy the high country - pack a picnic lunch and go exploring ...

Questions welcomed ... safe travels ...
Loved Highway 14 from Dayton to Greybull. I wouldn't miss it for anything, but that's just me. One of the great scenic drives in America. We did it with a 35' gasser towing a CRV. No problems.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3900.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	270.1 KB
ID:	122633   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3901.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	340.7 KB
ID:	122634