Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 04-16-2014, 04:58 PM   #1
Thor Owners Club
From Dallas to Grand Canyon

Would love some input as to the best route to go from Dallas to Grand Canyon. Any ideas on campgrounds would be appreciated. This will is our first trip in Class A Motor home.

elainemack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2014, 05:12 PM   #2
Monaco Owners Club
You want to make your way to I-40 in NM and then on to the GC.

Two good options to get to I-40, depending on where you live in the Dallas metro are, if you are on the north side, US-287 to Amarillo and west on I-40 from there. If you're on the south side, I-20 to just west of Sweetwater, then US 84 to Lubbock, on to Clovis, NM and hook up to I-40 at Santa Rosa. West on 40 to either Flagstaff or Williams, AZ and on to the Grand Canyon.

2006 Camelot PAQ
RR8S Chassis, Cummins ISL 400 hp
Ford Flex Toad
glennb100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 05:33 PM   #3
I suggest joining Good Sam Club. We used their trip planner for our last trip and worked out pretty well. You can customize your trip and pick campsites based on ratings, etc. We also have a Rand McNally GPS unit, but I don't trust it so much. Even though it's a GPS designed for RVs, it has let us down by taking us through some roads were we did not belong. We plan on doing Columbus to GC some day.
USAF Veteran
2014 Forest River Georgetown 351DS
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Toad
al2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 07:46 AM   #4
Thor Owners Club
Thanks for info. Do you have any suggestions for you favorite campgrounds along the way to Grand Canyon?
Old 04-21-2014, 08:12 AM   #5
Alpine Owners Club
I don't know if you are interested in any side trips, but I would highly recommend a visit to Santa Fe, New Mexico. You can search their website for all the things to see and do in and around Santa Fe. If you go there, we have stayed at and can recommend "Santa Fe Skies RV Park." It is clean, modern and has a GREAT walking trail going all the way around the park (where you can also walk your dog(s) if you have them). There are other good RV parks there as well, but this is the one we prefer. Just a suggestion.
Roger & Diana
'03 Alpine 36MDDS
Leeds, UT
rdownward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 07:43 PM   #6
Thor Owners Club
Any suggestions on route from south rim Grand Canyon to Yellowstone National Park?
Old 04-21-2014, 07:56 PM   #7
89 north to Page AZ, Lake Powell, Kanab, north at Kanab past Bryce Canyon, Salt Lake City then keep going north.
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 09:25 PM   #8
Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Originally Posted by elainemack View Post
Would love some input as to the best route to go from Dallas to Grand Canyon. Any ideas on campgrounds would be appreciated. This will is our first trip in Class A Motor home.
We are in far NE Texas so we stopped in Childress on our way west. I cannot recommend the RV Park in Childress. If I went that way again I would just stay at Walmart for the night. Anyway leaving from Dallas you can probably make Amarillo and I-40. We stayed at the Route 66 RV park on the way home. Is is a nice park friendly folks and full hookups. Our next stop was Santa Rosa NM via I-40. We stayed at the Santa Rosa RV Park and Campground for one night. Again not fancy but nice people and level sites. On to Albuquerque I-40 to the American RV Park americanrvpark.com‎. Nice park free breakfast, pool and good level sites. On through Flagstaff to Williams Arizona and the Grand Canyon RV Park. We took the train from Williams via the Grand Canyon Railroad to the Canyon. We really enjoyed the train ride to the Canyon and back. We both had been to the Canyon before and the train trip was a great addition to the beauty of the Canyon, plus I didn't have to drive. We stayed there almost a week and took side trips back to Flagstaff about 30 miles and to Winslow AZ (I'm a big Eagles fan). You know "Standing on the corner in Winslow Arizona"

However you go have a safe trip. I know you will enjoy the beauty and majesty of the Grand Canyon.
Jim,Ginny and Abbie (schnauzer)
RVM 58
Thor Hurricane MH - Jeep Wrangler
Cart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 10:01 PM   #9
If you stay in Williams and take the train to Grand Canyon, you will only have a few hours at the Canyon. We think it's best to stay IN the park itself - at Trailer Village and explore the Canyon at your leisure via the free shuttle buses - getting on and off wherever.

Be sure to walk down the Bright Angel Trail if only for a very short distance. It will give you a different perspective of the Canyon. Have a great trip!
Full-timed for 16 Years
. . . Back in S&B Again
Traveled in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Diesel
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 08:17 PM   #10

Been there twice from North Texas (Collin County) in the past 7 years (once in Oct 2007 and again in Aug 2012).

We go US380 to US287 to Amarillo and pick up I-40. Overnight in Amarillo (KOA near the airport). Then second overnight was Bar S RV Park in Milan, NM- a nondescript but functional RV Park on the interstate. I have also stayed in Santa Rosa Campground and RV Park in Santa Rosa, NM and it was also fine for the night. Santa Rosa has a nice piece of Historic 66 if you are into that kind of thing (we like historic routes 66 stuff and trains so I am never bothered by campgrounds near trains, airports, or highways- which describes most of the campgrounds mentioned here).

I have stayed at Grand Canyon RV Park in Williams, AZ and it was just fine. Again- I loved the historic route 66 in Williams and I loved the train piece as well. I also loved the train trip to/from the south rim from Williams, but as other poster mentioned you only get just a few hours in the south rim.

I have stayed at Trailer Village on the most recent trip and it was fine as well. If you want to spend more time in and around the south rim this is a good way to go. Mather CG operated by NPS in south rim is very nice (much more scenic than Trailer Village but less functional owing to a lack of hook ups).

AS far as routing goes, I have gone to Williams via I-40 from Amarillo and I have gone to the south rim (from N TX) via I-40 from Amarillo to Gallup then north on 491 to west on 264 (through Indian reservations) to Tuba City, and then 160 to 89 to 64. I have to say I won't go this way again. It was probably not substantially more scenic than the interstate and there were far fewer areas to pull over and far fewer areas in which to get services (fuel, food, etc). The main problem I had with this road is that much of it had some really strange grooves in the surface that caused a constant low-hum vibration on my tow vehicle (I have a 3/4 Dodge diesel pulling a 33 foot fiver). The vibration caused the cable holding my Dodge p/up spare tire to snap (the spare is mounted under the p/up bed) and the full size spare fell off and bounced up and down, up and down, and up and down under my fiver as I passed over it doing 60 MPH. There was virtually no where to pull over and the kind Native American man who was behind me, and who picked up my spare and brought it down to me, emphasized how much of a near-death experience he had. The 10-spot I gave him seemed to reduce the anxiety of his near-death experience and after he was totally convinced the wheel/tire was actually mine and not his, he went on his way.

I also want to add how much we LOVED LOVED LOVED the North Rim. I know it takes a bit of doing to get there but boy was it relaxing in a way the south rim wasn't- and both rims are comfortable climates in August since they are at high elevations.

Whatever you decide, I hope you have a peaceful, safe, and memorable trip!!

Safe Travels,
Patrick J

PatrickJ is offline   Reply With Quote