Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-14-2015, 07:15 PM   #1

From I-5 to the Oregon Coast

Next week is our launch as full-timers. Our first long stop is along the North Umpqua river for a week. Our next real destination is Seattle, but we would like to travel along the coast for a bit before heading back inland. We are driving a 40' Winnebago Itasca and wondering if we would be OK taking the Umpqua Highway from Drain to Reedsport. Any thoughts?

Jeff, Nan and the cats

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2015, 08:07 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I used to live in Roseburg, Or in the mid 1970's. I drove to work 38 miles everyday from Roseburg to the Ranger Station between Glide and Diamond Lake that was a State Highway Station last time I went through there. Highway 38 will likely seem like a freeway compared to Hwy 138 along the Umpqua River.

ah, maybe they are all freeways now....

It may be too simplistic an answer, but you are unlikely to go anywhere the huge logging trucks have not already gone. I would pay more attention to the conditions between Reedsport and wherever you plan to cross back. As I recall Hwy 101 along the coast is a good ride. I drove a rental car once from Medford up the I5 to wherever "Free Willy" the whale lived and came back down Hwy 101 and across one of those TV show "Wrong Turn" small little roads.

Seek advice from the locals before you head off on each leg.

North Umpqua River. Do you plan to go to Crater Lake? You will be very close.

Reminder, haven't been there for years.

Old 07-14-2015, 09:47 PM   #3
laj

free willy was at the oregon coast aquarium at south beach in newport.
138 is good for you to take or you can go to florence then across to eugene, great road. the next one would be waldport to corvallis or you can go clear to newport and then across to corvallis. Lincoln city out hwy. 18 to either salem or to tigard is also good. all these routes you will have no concerns or problems.
Old 07-16-2015, 11:57 AM   #4

Thanks for all the advice. We have driven by car from Roseburg east, so know that will be slow going. No Crater Lake this trip, but have been there by car - and flown over it at very low altitude in a airplane race. I recommend that view!
I'm glad to hear that 38 is OK and that Lincoln to Tigard is OK. Looking at the map again, what about backtracking a few miles from Roseburg to take 42 across?

Jeff, Nancy and the cats
Old 07-16-2015, 10:09 PM   #5

I'd take 38 to Reedsport. It's a nice easy drive but avoid weekends because many RVers use it.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 11:04 PM   #6

When we did the entire Oregon coast (north to south) a couple of years ago, we went south to Crescent City, CA and the over to I-5 just south of Grant's Pass. A good road, no problems with our 32' rig and no evidence it wouldn't be just fine for a 45' DP.

The opposite route would be good way to get onto the very southern end of the Oregon Coast. It's a wonderful trip. The only negative of going South to North is that almost everything you want to see is to the west of the highway and requires turning across the southbound traffic.
Old 07-17-2015, 08:43 AM   #7

OK, that's it - 38 to the coast it will be. Since we are starting out in Central Cal we don't want to backtrack from Roseburg, and we have already driven the southern portion of 101 in a car(as well as all of California 101).
We are truly newbies, having only done 2 trips for a total of a little over 3 weeks total, so all the advice is greatly appreciated.
Jeff35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 12:21 PM   #8

[QUOTE=frankdamp;2653121]When we did the entire Oregon coast (north to south) a couple of years ago, we went south to Crescent City, CA and the over to I-5 just south of Grant's Pass. A good road, no problems with our 32' rig and no evidence it wouldn't be just fine for a 45' DP.

Except HWY 199 that runs from Crescent City to Grants Pass has a motorhome length restriction of 40 feet on the California portion.
45' Bus & Motorhome Map
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 12:38 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ciderdog View Post

Except HWY 199 that runs from Crescent City to Grants Pass has a motorhome length restriction of 40 feet on the California portion.
45' Bus & Motorhome Map
So help me out! If my motorhome is less than 40' and I am towing a vehicle that is permissible on US 199?

avid
2015 Bay Star 3103, 2013 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
Falcon 2 All terrain tow bar, RVi2 brake, Towmate TM3 wireless lights
avid_dk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 12:57 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We did Hwy 199 last November in the rain in a 40' with a Honda Odyssey toad. Definitely NOT for the faint of heart. Would NOT choose this route again. We are quite wide with our mirrors and came pretty close to "clicking" with a semi on a 15 mph corner...could have passed the driver a cup of coffee. At least going West we were not hanging over the edge. Beautiful, but challenging, even in a car.
Frantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 03:01 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by avid_dk View Post
So help me out! If my motorhome is less than 40' and I am towing a vehicle that is permissible on US 199?

We drove 199 from Grants Pass to Crescent City in July. The place I would be worried is in Jedediah Smith Redwoods State park, just after coming on from 101. The road is narrow and winds through the Redwood trees that are quite close. The rest of the trip was nice though. There's a nice RV park in O'Brien Or. Only about 35 spaces, but good for big rigs.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
FMCA #341229
JacknKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 08:29 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by avid_dk View Post
I believe you are OK - it's the motor home length, not total length. Tractor trailers use 199 every day. I live off 199 a few miles north of the CA/OR border. The campground mentioned above is very nice Lone Mountain RV Resort - O'Brien, OR - RV Park Reviews (a Passport America Park) and across 199 from the campground is a very good restaurant called McGrew's (closed Monday & Tuesday). You can avoid the thick redwood narrow area of 199 just north of Crescent City by going north on 101 a few miles and taking 199A but there are still some tight corners a few miles further up 199. We used to cross 199 with our 1 ton truck and 38 foot 5th wheel trailer and now cross it in our 40 foot motorhome towing a car. Tight yes but if you are comfortable with narrow highways it is OK. Just my dos centavos.

Oh, if you do travel 199 try to stop at the Great Cats of the World at the south end of Cave Junction. Well worth a visit. Great Cats World Park - Cave Junction, Oregon you are within a couple feet of the biggest cats you will ever see.

1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote