Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-28-2018, 09:54 AM   #1

From Maryland to California Part 1

Hello all,

I am planning a trip from Maryland to California that will last for several months, that is why I added Part 1 to the title, I will be seeking additional advice from you as the trip proceeds.

Due to family matters the 1st leg of my trip will be to Santa Cruz, CA where I plan to stay for around 2 weeks so my questions will revolve around this part of the trip.

1) Please suggest some places around Santa Cruz to stay. I am open to staying in various locations including state / national parks, regular campgrounds and " RV resorts ". I do not mind moving around a few times just for the change of scenery. If possible, when recommending locations, add your favorite spots in the facility.

2) I plan to stop in Arizona for a few days on the way there. I would like your recommendation on a place to stay there for about 3 days. I am thinking about a nice resort on a lake or other scenic area, just for a little peaceful R & R.

3) Last but not least, we are leaving Maryland in January so I am looking for route options. I know this is weather dependent and the default route would be to head south down I95 and head west somewhere in Georgia, either taking I10 or getting on I40. If you could recommend a different route I should consider that would knock a day or two off the travel time, that would be great.

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions
colmbarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2018, 10:00 AM   #2

I would most likely take I-10 into AZ. You might get some snow on I-40. I-10 will put you in the southern part of the state and if you plan on staying a few days, it will be much warmer than along I-40. You may have a hard time finding places to stay in southern AZ at that time of year. Just my 2¢ worth.
AudiDudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 10:22 AM   #3

Thor Owners Club
I don't know where you are starting from in Maryland, but I wouldn't necessarily start out by heading south on I-95, the road from hell (at least within 100 miles from DC). I've done the trip west many times, at various times of year, and my preferences (depending on weather) are:
  1. I-70 to St. Louis, then down I-44 to I-40
  2. I-81 to I-40 near Knoxville
  3. I-95 to I-85 at Richmond, then to Atlanta and beyond
We've ended up detouring as far south as I-10 (and still got caught in freezing rain!). I just watch the 10-day forecast all along my prospective routes, and adjust accordingly. Good luck!
Crabby Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 10:57 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by colmbarry View Post
...I plan to stop in Arizona for a few days on the way there. I would like your recommendation on a place to stay there for about 3 days. I am thinking about a nice resort on a lake or other scenic area, just for a little peaceful R & R....
you don't say where in AZ but two places we especially like that are on lakes is Lake Havasu State Park in Lake Havasu and The Wahweap RV and Campground on Lake Powell a bit north of Page, AZ.
Old 11-28-2018, 12:06 PM   #5

Quote:
2) I plan to stop in Arizona for a few days on the way there. I would like your recommendation on a place to stay there for about 3 days. I am thinking about a nice resort on a lake or other scenic area, just for a little peaceful R & R.
If you want some warmth in January in Arizona on a lake I'd suggest Lake Pleasant Regional Maricopa County park just west of the greater Phoenix area. It has a variety of RV spots, some primitive, some with electric. You'd be close to doing something in the Phoenix area or a short drive to the western town of Wickenburg.

https://www.maricopacountyparks.net/...regional-park/

I'd also recommend taking I-10 across rather than I-40 in January.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 12:12 PM   #6

Wahweap while a very beautiful area, it will be COLD in Jan.

I second - Lake Pleasant
Peto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 12:43 PM   #7

And you can get back on I-40 at Havasu....
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 01:00 PM   #8

Google Maps show the direct route being I-40 at 2890 miles.

Heading farther south to Nashville, Memphis, Dallas, El Paso, TX picking up I-10 to Phoenix and LA north is 3100 miles = a difference of 210 miles for much better weather in January.

Regardless, you're going to have many cold nights during the whole trip except for the Phoenix area.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 06:48 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Heading farther south to Nashville, Memphis, Dallas, El Paso, TX picking up I-10 to Phoenix and LA north is 3100 miles = a difference of 210 miles for much better weather in January.
This is our preferred route when we depart Baltimore mid-January also heading to Indio, CA. Will, of course, be weather dependent. Are prepared to spend some time sitting waiting for roads to clear.
Old 11-30-2018, 05:35 AM   #10

Many thanks to all who have replied, I now have enough info to be dangerous for the first leg of this trip. Looking forward to the replies for Part 2, 3 and 4.

Thanks again.

Colm
colmbarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 01:24 PM   #11

for santa cruz the parks tend to be booked solid. seacliff you would have to book a year early and still be lucky to get a spot. rv park clustered around scotts valley / felton tend to be in the redwoods, in January would be cold damp often. santa cruz KOA is nice, its near watsonville. but where ever you chose to stay book now. Google is your friend.
riverforest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 04:18 PM   #12

Quote:
Hello all,

I am planning a trip from Maryland to California that will last for several months, that is why I added Part 1 to the title, I will be seeking additional advice from you as the trip proceeds.

Due to family matters the 1st leg of my trip will be to Santa Cruz, CA where I plan to stay for around 2 weeks so my questions will revolve around this part of the trip.

1) Please suggest some places around Santa Cruz to stay. I am open to staying in various locations including state / national parks, regular campgrounds and " RV resorts ". I do not mind moving around a few times just for the change of scenery. If possible, when recommending locations, add your favorite spots in the facility.

3) Last but not least, we are leaving Maryland in January so I am looking for route options. I know this is weather dependent and the default route would be to head south down I95 and head west somewhere in Georgia, either taking I10 or getting on I40. If you could recommend a different route I should consider that would knock a day or two off the travel time, that would be great.

Welcome to the Crew -

What are you driving - What are you Pulling?

What are you comfortable with in terms of Mile Per Day, this is BIG?

Will you be a Wal*Mart traveler or a CampGround Traveler?

Hard to make blanket recommendations without knowing a little more about You[emoticon]

I stopped driving to Cali when the Oldest graduated from College there - BUT we still drive often to Colorado (Fly often too) and have done the trip out after Christmas on I-70 & RT 36 - If you keep and Eye on the Weather and are just a little Lucky it can be easy (It can also be a Little Snowy)

As we are just down the Road (Arnold) feel free to PM me if I can be of any help - as I have probably 25+ trips to the Rockies over the Years, with a good bit of time in California too.

Get back to Us and we'll all try to help you out with more specifics.

Best of Luck,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 09:04 PM   #13

Quote:
Hello all,

For winter travel this weather app might help - go to the Snow Cover - https://www.ventusky.com/?p=39.61;-1...temperature-2m
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 07:33 PM   #14

Hi! colmbarry I'm from Md. also and was in AZ. last year. You will not have any trouble finding campgrounds for a couple nights contrary to what some on here will tell you. I did the same last year without reservations and was able to find scattered nights. The prospect for long term stays is a totally different animal. The big Gem and Mineral Show goes on from early Jan thru late Feb. and everything for any extended period of time is impossible. A couple nights here or there should be no problem. This will involve all of the area around tucson and the phoenix areas. We ended up near Quartzite to find a place for two weeks.
CAMPER70 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
california