Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-15-2012, 08:36 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
From South Carolina to Grand Canyon, tips please

Hello all,
Well it is official, we are going to take a month off and drive the winnie from SC to the Grand Canyon then take Route 66 back. Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, we are just now starting to plan. So excited!!!!!!!!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2012, 08:47 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You're going to have a great time. We have been there 6 times and it still is amazing. I can remember the first time there overlooking the canyon from one of the lookouts and saying to myself "that's not really there". If you have the time be sure to catch a sunrise and sunset. Unbelievable! Also sitting outside in the dark of the night and gaze at the stars. What a site. We have never been to the North side of the canyon. Maybe next visit and we'll take the glass overlook walk. That should interesting.
Your Route 66 drive will be interesting as well. Anything out West is a wonderful experience and now your getting me all excitied as well. It's been a couple of years since we've been but later this year we might just steer this coach in a Westerly direction and enjoy the site again. Have fun as I'm sure you will.

Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 08:53 AM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The only thing I will say is this:

The campgrounds INSIDE the national park are "Small rig only" sites and there is no discount for those with the assorted 50% off cards (Though admission to the park is FREE with those cards, if either of you qualify for a "Golden Age" or whatever they call it, GET ONE, (you can get it at the park entrance)

Parks outside the park (A bit south of the south rim) can take large rigs.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:08 AM   #4

Wife wants to do the same trip please post while you are on the road and let us know how it is going
Old 02-15-2012, 09:09 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We went to the glass overlook in 2009 and am glad I went but I was never comfortable on the glass. But things you might want to know are they allow no cameras etc while you are out there on the walkway. They will take your photo and sell it to you. At that time it was a long drive on a gravel road to get there. They may have paved it since then, but I would not want to drive my MH on that road if I had an option.
JayGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 09:32 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
We stayed at the NP campground in the park with our 39' MH. It was not a luxurious place, but we fit and didn't have to drive to and from the park.

While you are making the trip along I-40, stop at Oklahoma City (Rockwell RV park is nice) and see the Oklahoma City National Memorial and Museum and the Cowboy Museum.
You can stop and find yourself "standing on a corner in Winslow, Arizona." Just west of there is the big Meteor Crater.
In eastern AZ is the Painted Desert NP and Petrefied Forest NP.

Just some ideas....

FJF
Ding-a-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 09:44 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
I always thought it would be nice to ride the burros to the bottom of the canyon. When we were there years ago I checked into it and the wait time was over a year to get the chance. If you have the urge you might want to contact them in advance to see if my info is correct.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:00 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ding-a-ling
We stayed at the NP campground in the park with our 39' MH. It was not a luxurious place, but we fit and didn't have to drive to and from the park.

While you are making the trip along I-40, stop at Oklahoma City (Rockwell RV park is nice) and see the Oklahoma City National Memorial and Museum and the Cowboy Museum.
You can stop and find yourself "standing on a corner in Winslow, Arizona." Just west of there is the big Meteor Crater.
In eastern AZ is the Painted Desert NP and Petrefied Forest NP.

Just some ideas....

FJF
Great , thanks
Old 02-15-2012, 10:31 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Two of the things we enjoyed when we went west were. l) Graceland in Memphis. 2) the Palo Duro Canyon State Park, south of Amarilo, TX. You camp at the bottom of the canyon, so there is no tv, phone or internet service. But one of the places, we would definately go back to.
bsirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 12:57 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
The campgrounds INSIDE the national park are "Small rig only" sites and there is no discount for those with the assorted 50% off cards
This isn't true.

The *RV Park,* Trailer Village, which is run by the concessionaire, Xanterra Parks, does not accept the Senior or Access Pass for half-price camping. However, the two NPS-run campgrounds, Mather and Desert View, DO accept both passes for half-price camping.
Old 02-15-2012, 03:17 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We ran from Fair Play, SC area to Grand Canyon area this summer. If we run it again we'd start in reverse at Gouldings Monument to Arches, Capitol Reef, Bryce, Grand Canyon North Rim, to Marble Canyon and to Oak Creek Canyon Area in Flagstaff, AZ. We visited both the South and North Rims of Grand Canyon, prefered the North Rim over the South although as you leave the South Rim the Eagles Nest is neat! Be glad to share route if needed.
Old 02-15-2012, 03:21 PM   #12

I am not a route 66 expert ... but I think you will find only a limited amount of actual 66 road bed still in existence between towns ... however you will generally find the route through towns to be intact and signs telling where to turn to follow the route ...

One of our favorite eating spots is on main street of Tucumcari, NM ... Kix on 66 ... is the name of the place ... there is RV parking behind

former owner 2004 Winnebago Journey 39W
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 07:33 PM   #13

While I not going t be able to add much to the trip, the grand canyon is on the bucket list, and I want to camp. Unfortunately I need to finish this working thing first . Please post lost, I looking forward to hearing all the planning and trip stuff

enjoy the trip and take lots of pictures
Old 02-16-2012, 03:57 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
For those who have taken a long trip, about how many hours a day have you driven?