Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-16-2019, 05:31 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Talking Fuel Savings on trips to Southern California

Most people have probably noticed how expensive traveling through California has become. On our last trip to S Cal, we discovered a way to save $100 to $200 on our one way trip. We travel through Nevada. The fuel costs alone were worth the extra time it took to get from Washington State to S Cal.
We travel from Tacoma, Wa. Our trip down went the traditional way. I-5 to Oregon and through Northern California on to Hemet, CA. The fuel was so expensive we decided to look for alternatives. On our return trip we decided to go through Nevada. We cut over to Las Vegas and got fuel at a savings of almost 75 cents a gallon. The savings on the rest of the way home were similar. I figure we saved at least $150. (times two is $300) If you live north of California, rethink your route of travel. Your savings might be similar. The extra time we use to get over to Nevada is well made up for in fuel savings. Wish we had thought of this several years ago.
Good luck.
sfdladder11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2019, 05:58 PM   #2

Gavin won't like that. Plus you'll miss a lot of good stuff.
Old 06-16-2019, 06:09 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfdladder11 View Post
Most people have probably noticed how expensive traveling through California has become. On our last trip to S Cal, we discovered a way to save $100 to $200 on our one way trip. We travel through Nevada. The fuel costs alone were worth the extra time it took to get from Washington State to S Cal.
We travel from Tacoma, Wa. Our trip down went the traditional way. I-5 to Oregon and through Northern California on to Hemet, CA. The fuel was so expensive we decided to look for alternatives. On our return trip we decided to go through Nevada. We cut over to Las Vegas and got fuel at a savings of almost 75 cents a gallon. The savings on the rest of the way home were similar. I figure we saved at least $150. (times two is $300) If you live north of California, rethink your route of travel. Your savings might be similar. The extra time we use to get over to Nevada is well made up for in fuel savings. Wish we had thought of this several years ago.
Good luck.
I live in San Diego and when I go to Death Valley I go via Pahrump NV to fill up on diesel for the RV and gas for the toad - about 30 miles longer but saves about $1.00 per gallon and there's a Walmart and other stores to stock up on stuff I forgot - and I always forget something. Seems it would be more than 30 miles extra but no, google maps tells me it's 348 miles from home to Furnace Creek and 378 miles with a stop in Pahrump.
johninsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 06:23 PM   #4

That's were my 100 gal aux fuel tank comes in handy. I filled up in Vegas and drove up I-5 to Eureka, Ca and circled back to Reno w/o buying any CA fuel on a 3 month trip. We used the motorcycle for local traveling and did buy CA gas.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 08:31 PM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
Top off before entering CA. If you can’t make it out of the state without buying fuel, buy only what you need to get to that outside CA fuel stop and fill up there.
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 08:46 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by FleetMan View Post
Top off before entering CA. If you can’t make it out of the state without buying fuel, buy only what you need to get to that outside CA fuel stop and fill up there.
Yep. Avoid buying as possible in CA.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 09:25 PM   #7

I miss Calif entirely going to Arizona every winter
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 09:50 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Gas in Blythe, CA has run $3.75 to $4 every time we are there. You can drive 5 miles across the border and save 75 cents to $1 a gallon. I see people at the Blythe stations and wonder why not drive 5 miles and save big?

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 10:12 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Looks like about 200 miles longer to avoid going straight down I 5 according to Google maps. Is that about right?
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 10:14 PM   #10

We just got back from a two week, 3,200 mile trip to California; Santa Cruz up to Westport. I was prepared to spend 4.50 to 5.15 per gallon of gas based on what I read. The most I paid was 3.89, not a whole lot more than in Nevada
Old 06-20-2019, 05:56 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Thumbs up Response to all.

Has any one noticed that California has a slight curve in it? When we were in Hemet the last time, we ran a couple of different routes through mapqwest and the extra mileage was insignificant. It did add about 45 minutes additional time to the trip and this included going through Eastern Washington. The route saved fuel costs and had interesting things to see.
We have relatives in Nevada. We actually went to Utah to see my sister. The route (due to the L in Calif) still involved savings. Utah is beautiful - not many trees, but, the rockery is magnificent and the Mountains rival those in the Northwest. Moab had some kind of Jeep event we enjoyed. The fuel costs may have spurred our thought processes, but, having gone to Southern California on I-5 and 101 for many years the different routes gave us some extra possibilities - inspiring possibilities.
Trees and the Ocean are beautiful - so are rocks and Mountains.
sfdladder11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 03:15 PM   #12

Why anybody would want to go to CA. for any reason is way beyond me? Why would anybody want to pay the outrageous prices for gas, let alone humans dumping human waste in the streets. That's exactly what that state is, and becoming worse! Glad you wised up and didn't go reverse routing back home.
TajMahal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 03:56 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TajMahal View Post
Why anybody would want to go to CA. for any reason is way beyond me? Why would anybody want to pay the outrageous prices for gas, let alone humans dumping human waste in the streets. That's exactly what that state is, and becoming worse! Glad you wised up and didn't go reverse routing back home.
You’ve obviously never been here. Unless you go to LA or SF you don’t see the stuff the media pumps out that you obviously gobble up as what’s happening in the entire state.

Why don’t you just admit your jealous you can’t afford to live here
Old 06-21-2019, 04:04 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TajMahal View Post

Well, it's no taj mahal that's for sure, but there are a couple good features.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
california, fuel