Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-15-2014, 10:02 AM   #1

Garden State Parkway

Actually my question is 2 parts.

I have been giving info. that there is no RV restrictions on the entire length of the The Garden State Parkway. Could anyone verify this ?

My other question is what would be the best route between southern Ma and southern NJ.

Thanks in Advance,
expedition1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2014, 10:28 AM   #2

I should have added I will be traveling in a 35ft motorhome towing auto 4 down.

Sorry about that.
Old 10-15-2014, 11:29 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
I was there this September and you CAN NOT travel this PKWY in a MH..I have a Class C 11'3" tall and made the mistake as someone said it was OKAY ....This the
2nd time and I hope the last time I make this error...GOOD LUCK

gtony2
gtony2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 11:44 AM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtony2 View Post
I was there this September and you CAN NOT travel this PKWY in a MH..I have a Class C 11'3" tall and made the mistake as someone said it was OKAY ....This the

gtony2
I don't know why you couldn't use the GSP. It's legal for RVs as long as total length is less than 55'. You must have brakes on +3,000 lb trailers and breakaway switch. Box trucks and semis are restricted, but RVs are allowed. Height is fine up to 13'6". NJ EZ Pass offers 10% discount to drivers over 65. Apply here.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 12:38 PM   #5

Last year we traveled from Chestnut Lake in Port Republic NJ south to Cape May and took the ferry from Cape May to Virginia Landing in Quinby in a 36 ft coach towing 4 down with no restrictions using e-z pass.
corjaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 02:47 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
I have traveled in a 40' dp towing a Ford Edge from exit 98 all the way up to 287 and ny throughway with no problem. Between 130 and 150 there are several low overpasses and you cannot be in the outer lanes.
mricet1005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 03:07 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
ez pass

can you get a temp. ez pass ?
kustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 03:17 PM   #8

No Temp easy pass but they are available thru multiple Toll Agencies. I got mine for GSP and other Northeast toll roads for summer trip thru Illinois. They call it I Pass. Works with all EZ Pass systems. $10.00 deposit for transponder and then $40.00 in draw down account.
rtoy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 11:36 AM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtony2 View Post
gtony2
This is odd. There are M/H's all over the Garden State Parkway from Cape May to Northern Jersey. I personally have driven it in a 34' Bounder from Cape May to Toms River, and I know for a fact that this is a favored route for summer campers going south from the NYC Metro area to shore points.

Now, in Connecticut, the MERRITT Parkway is another thing altogether...
Old 10-20-2014, 02:15 PM   #10

Since my original post I have both emailed The Garden State Parkway and called on of the state police barracks on the parkway and both gave me the thumbs up on RV travel. No restrictions for RVs , although it is my understanding there are bridges located in the northern section that need to be driven under in the center lane.

Someone here mentioned the Merritt parkway in CT. Is that also RT 15 ?
Are there in fact RV restrictions on that ?
Old 10-21-2014, 05:37 AM   #11

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by expedition1 View Post
Since my original post I have both emailed The Garden State Parkway and called on of the state police barracks on the parkway and both gave me the thumbs up on RV travel. No restrictions for RVs , although it is my understanding there are bridges located in the northern section that need to be driven under in the center lane.

Someone here mentioned the Merritt parkway in CT. Is that also RT 15 ?
Are there in fact RV restrictions on that ?
YES. Definitely. Route 15 in Ct, otherwise known as the Merritt Parkway, is CARS only. There are numerous bridges over the roadway with clearances as low as 8 or 9 feet. No Trucks, No RVs. I wouldn't even take a P/U with a bed camper on it.

It can also be VERY congested and slow. Two weeks ago it took us 4 1/2 hours to go 80 miles on it, in the middle of the day. Short on-ramps, lots of commuter traffic, etc. You're better off on I-95 if you're headed North-east. We were headed up into Vermont through Mass, and took it to I-91, which was also very congested. It may have been holiday traffic, but it was still very busy.
Old 10-21-2014, 06:02 AM   #12
GG1

Winnebago Owners Club
We live in Ocean County NJ there is no problem with traveling on the Parkway. We use it all the time when we go to the New England states. I would go out of my way a little from Mass and head west to the NY Thruway then go south to the Garden State Parkway this way you avoid the NYC area it keeps you west of the intense city congestion. One caution on the parkway after you go through the Union toll plaza stay in the middle lanes avoid the right lane and far left lane there are a few arched overpasses with low clearances on the shoulders for several miles there are signs letting you know about the clearance on the rght and left shoulder way ahead of time. Once you get to the Raritan River bridge there are no more arched overpass. Tour busss going to Atlantic City from NYC and north Jersey travel this route every day.
Old 10-21-2014, 09:42 AM   #13

Gulf Streamers Club
If I travel N-S in the east, I use I-81, I-84 and stay away from I-95. Unless you specifically NEED to go closer to the Boston-Washington corridor I stay west of the mess, tolls, and congestion. On a trip to Maine last fall it was all good except for a time on I-495 around Boston, we sat in stopped traffic a few hours.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 08:54 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
If I travel N-S in the east, I use I-81, I-84 ........On a trip to Maine last fall it was all good except for a time on I-495 around Boston, we sat in stopped traffic a few hours.

Clearly if you were stopped for a few hours you were dealing with some highly extraordinary circumstance that had nothing to do with normal usage. I-495 around Boston can have normal short-term rush hour slowdowns in the immediate areas of I-90 and I-290, and from about Rt2 north to Rt3 and I-93. But generally it is a good moving road with few problems other than it is as boring as dirt, and MA has STILL not renumbered their exits. Tip: on most of the length of this highway the exits are all just about 2-1/2 miles apart, so if you keep your mental arithmetic skills sharp you can figure how far you've got to go.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote