Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-09-2013, 12:46 AM   #1

Gas consumption from Vancouver BC to Montreal Que.

I'm also new to RVing and planning to go to Montreal from Vancouver in May driving a Clas C Winnibago Access 24' with my car behing. What kind of $$$ I'm I looking at for gaz?
Anyone did the trip?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-09-2013, 09:02 AM   #2

Depending on your rig, the route, car (including flat-towing, dolly or trailer) and driving habits there could be a big spread in the cost.

In my case, with a 24' class C (Ford E-350 chassis with 460) towing an airplane on a trailer, from Toronto to Vancouver and staying in Canada (500km, 300 miles further 5,000 km, 3,000 miles total) it took 1,400 litres (375 gallons). The cost was about $2,000 in fuel.

Coming home without anything out back, and taking the south route (500 km, 300 miles shorter and much cheaper gas prices) I only burned about 1,100 litres (300 gallons) it only cost about $1,100 in fuel.

My best advice would be to take a short trip towing the car and use that mileage to guess-timate your mileage then calculate based on that.

Old 02-09-2013, 03:33 PM   #3

Send a message via Skype™ to ROMANICHEL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacquelined View Post
I'm also new to RVing and planning to go to Montreal from Vancouver in May driving a Clas C Winnibago Access 24' with my car behing. What kind of $$$ I'm I looking at for gaz?
Anyone did the trip?
It all depend if you go true the State or if you stay in Canada . Gas in Montreal today is $1.45 per litre. There is the exercise I made with Street and trip 2013. Vancouver-Montreal one way, true the state = 3,003 miles fuel average in the U.S today = $3.54 per gal so would pay $875.00 and 44 hrs 30 min driving time, if you stay in Canada 2,919 miles Fuel average = 1.25 per litre so you would pay $1,124.00 and driving time = 50.0 hrs : have nice and safe trip
Old 02-09-2013, 06:03 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROMANICHEL View Post
Vancouver-Montreal one way, true the state = 3,003 miles fuel average in the U.S today = $3.54 per gal so would pay $875.00
Mon ami, I think you're numbers are a little too optimistic.

$875 at $3.54 / gal is about 247 gallons. With a trip of 3,000 miles, that would equate to a little over 12 miles per gallon.

I'm not sure what kind of car the OP is planning on towing, but I'd be skeptical of getting 10 MPG with nothing towed. Dragging a car along, I doubt you could get much over 8 MPG.

Even just 4 MPG over 3,000 miles with gas at $3.54 / gal. works out to nearly $600 difference.
Old 02-09-2013, 06:35 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf2u View Post

Mon ami, I think you're numbers are a little too optimistic.

$875 at $3.54 / gal is about 247 gallons. With a trip of 3,000 miles, that would equate to a little over 12 miles per gallon.

I'm not sure what kind of car the OP is planning on towing, but I'd be skeptical of getting 10 MPG with nothing towed. Dragging a car along, I doubt you could get much over 8 MPG.

Even just 4 MPG over 3,000 miles with gas at $3.54 / gal. works out to nearly $600 difference.
A 24 ft winnebago class C should make at least 10 - 11 mpg , I dont know maybe I'am way out but I use to make 9 mpg with my old Brave with a 454 ????
Old 02-09-2013, 07:04 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROMANICHEL View Post

A 24 ft winnebago class C should make at least 10 - 11 mpg , I dont know maybe I'am way out but I use to make 9 mpg with my old Brave with a 454 ????
I drive a 24' Winnebago (Itasca) 24' class C, I'd be over the moon to get that kind mileage. Even without towing anything I can't count on anything over 8 to 8.5 MPG.

The once I towed a small'ish car (a Mazda 6) on a dolly behind it, I got a pretty steady 7 MPG. A newer V10 model might get a little better mileage, but I can't believe it would be tickling double the mileage.
Old 02-09-2013, 09:14 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf2u View Post

I drive a 24' Winnebago (Itasca) 24' class C, I'd be over the moon to get that kind mileage. Even without towing anything I can't count on anything over 8 to 8.5 MPG.

The once I towed a small'ish car (a Mazda 6) on a dolly behind it, I got a pretty steady 7 MPG. A newer V10 model might get a little better mileage, but I can't believe it would be tickling double the mileage.
That would mean $1,360.00 for a one way trip going true the State and $1,820,00 going true Canada. big difference , thanks Murf2u for bringing me back to the real world
Old 02-10-2013, 07:45 PM   #8

I don't know your vehicle but this is what I do. I estimate the miles, figure 7 mpg and $5.00 a gallon. The mileage estimate is low and the cost for fuel is high (I hope) so doing the cost estimate this way I have funds for a tire tire repair or oil change, etc. It seems I end up spending less than I estimated and that is good, no?
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:23 AM   #9

Hi,

are these cost savings of going through the US taking into account highway tolls? I have been across Canada many times but always drove within Canada.

What about potential hassles during the border crossings - these can delay you quite a bit depending upon the Customs Agents.

Any recent experiences?

Thanks,

Steve
Old 02-13-2013, 09:45 AM   #10

In very general terms, and written with a sharp crayon.......

The ONLY time you will have a 'hassle' is if the nice folks at Customs think there's something, or someone, coming into the country that ISN'T coming back out. I've crossed with the most unusual things in tow, including airplanes, and as long as everything was in order, no problem.

As for tolls, I've done the trip dozens of times, any tolls you'll pay will pale in comparison to the $500 to $1,000 in savings.

Tags
gas