Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 08-08-2013, 08:38 AM   #15
Monaco Owners Club
I drove tractor trailer in and out of the New York area for years. The one thing I would recommend is do this drive at night.

1999 Monaco Windsor with a 330 Cummins.
AttilaKara72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2013, 12:07 PM   #16
Around NYC to Long Island 2 Choices

From my earlier post, there appears to be two routes, neither of which is desirable. GWB, Throgs Necks Bridge or Verrazano Bridge, Govanus Expwy, Brooklyn Queens Expwy.

Some reports on the GWB route say the road is terrible and likewise for the Brooklyn Queens route. The only thing going for the Verrazano route is there are no tolls (GWB and Throgs Neck are $37).

Based on recent experience what would you take?

ezridermd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 02:44 PM   #17
Freightliner Owners Club
Drove the BQE in late June in a car. Total mess. More than $37 in aggravation!

Take the GW and pay the tolls.

Remember you may get away with paying a toll on the Verranzano going east, but you get hit on the way back going west.
Tom and Katharine
'07 Winnebago Tour 40TD, 400hp Cummins
RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 03:12 PM   #18
Ford Super Duty Owner
Jayco Owners Club
Take the GWB and Throggs Neck Bridge! You may run into some traffic and The Cross Bronx EXPY road surface is being fixed (some of it is roughed up to prepare for paving]). The BQE is much worse!! The Verazano is no problem, but you want to avoid the BQE! I just drove the Cross Bronx with my MH and it wasn't great,but not horrible. Don''t take a route just because of the tolls. It's not worth it.
2016 Jayco Greyhawk 29MV
LI-Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 03:56 PM   #19
GENECOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 05:00 PM   #20
Fleetwood Owners Club
The Verrazano may not charge on the way in , but will on the way out .. Geo Wash Br on the way in but not on way out .
My vote is for the GWB and Throggs Neck . Well 'signed' and straight forward . No surprises. . EZ Pass will eliminate angst at toll booths

08 Diesel Bounder 38V
phranc is offline   Reply With Quote