Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-08-2012, 06:28 AM   #1

Gillette to Cody advice please

We're in Deadwood S.D. now and leaving for Cody Wy. in a few days. I see a lot of high altitudes and passes, what I am concerned with is tight curves. We have a 42ft with toad and would appreciate a little advice on route. Also possible CG in Cody also. Thanks in advance.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2012, 06:39 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
The big horn mountains are awesome. There are 2 roads through. I've driven both, but not in a motorhome. The first you will come to is the easiest, but both are tough but doable.

You can also stay on the interstate around the mountains and up toward billings, then cut back down once you're past the big horns, I90 avoids them completely.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 07:00 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
We made that same trip, about 2 years ago, when we did the Good Sam, "Western National Parks Caravan" tour. I drove a 39' MH, pulling a toad, with no problems. We stayed in the "Pondarosa CG", in Cody. I highly recommend it. It is within walking/biking distance to the "Bill Cody Museum". Check them and others out in the RV Park Reviews.com. website
Old 07-08-2012, 07:02 AM   #4

We drove from Rapid City to Buffalo on I90 and then took 16 over the Big Horn Mountains. We were about 60' with our tow. 16 is a well maintained 2 lane with a few sections of 3 lane for up grade passing lane. The turns are fairly sweeping and will be no problem for you. There is a big pull out at Powder River Pass at about 9700' where over night parking is ok. After you get out of the Mtns you pass though some bad land type area. The route on into Cody is pretty flat and the road is good all the way. Here is a link to a campground at the east edge of town close to the small airport.

http://www.cody-wy.com/indexF.htm

We stayed here 4 or 5 days and it's very convenient. The Buffalo Bill Museum will take 2 days. Take your toad out to the Chief Joseph Hwy and connect to the Beartooth Hwy. you will end up in Red Lodge and then loop back to Cody. There is also the remains of an old Japanese Internment camp in the area close to Heart Mtns.

From Cody the route to Yellowstone is pretty easy.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 08:24 AM   #5

Actally, there are 3 ways across the Bighorns. US-16 is the least steep, but is also the least scenic. Although steeper, I prefer US-14. If you do go that way, be sure to stop and take a walk at the Shell Canyon visitor center.

The steepest route US-14A splits off just west of Burgess Junction. This is my favorite, but if you are not confident with mountain driving, avoid it. It has a long 10% grade. If you do use it, the reward is that you get to stop at Bighorn Canyon National Recreation Area just east of Lovell. The scenery there is magnificent. The camping there is free although they do charge for electric hookups.

Joel
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	14a.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	23339  
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 03:15 PM   #6

i have done both 14 and 16 in a 40 footer with toad. 16 is a lot nicer drive with a few sharp turns and is very scenic.
beaverfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 04:22 PM   #7

Arrived in Cody today and had a great ride! Slept in the pulloff as suggested. Seen the Milky Way last night! Thanks again for the suggestions!
Old 07-10-2012, 04:32 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by gripper View Post
We made that same trip, about 2 years ago, when we did the Good Sam, "Western National Parks Caravan" tour. I drove a 39' MH, pulling a toad, with no problems. We stayed in the "Pondarosa CG", in Cody. I highly recommend it. It is within walking/biking distance to the "Bill Cody Museum". Check them and others out in the RV Park Reviews.com. website

Was there two months ago (Pondarosa CG) , great campsite. Drove through the passes with a TOAD. Had no issues on the turns. You will find the grades are quite steep so take your time. Happy Trails!
2003 Winne Adventurer, Ford F53 V-10. Toad:1992 S-10, Road Master Falcon 2 Tow bar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system and Protect-a-Tow. Right is right even if no one is doing it; Wrong is wrong even if everyone is doing it--St Augustine of Hippo. Navy (ret).
navychaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 04:41 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 336muffin View Post
Arrived in Cody today and had a great ride! Slept in the pulloff as suggested. Seen the Milky Way last night! Thanks again for the suggestions!
Color me envious! We spend the night there with another couple traveling with us in about this time in 2010. The night sky is spectacular up there.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 12:04 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby

Color me envious! We spend the night there with another couple traveling with us in about this time in 2010. The night sky is spectacular up there.
Congrats, and color me envious too!

I love cody. Be sure to see the gunfight, eat the buffet at irmas, and GO TO THE RODEO!
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote