Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 03-24-2010, 06:15 PM   #1
Give me some ideas.

First of all thank you for your help in advance. A little history, grew up in Alabama (Roll Tide), lived in Tennessee, and now live in Florida. Never been further west than St. Louis, except flew into Vegas for two days. Never been in the Northeast, Seen most of the southeast. Now that being said thinking about a 9 or 10 day trip within the next four months. Where would you go, I currently live in Southeast Florida, Port St. Lucie to be exact.

tidalwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2010, 09:58 PM   #2
what? how?

what do you like to *see* when you travel?
  • national parks,
  • gardens,
  • cities,
  • zoos,
  • historic sites
how will you be travelling?
  • flying,
  • driving a motorhome,
  • driving a car

2004 Winnebago Journey 39W - 2012 Buick Enclave
Present @home Home: Oshkosh, WI
We call our rig "Ernie the Journey"

skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 05:05 AM   #3
Freightliner Owners Club
If you want scenery, go west young man!

If you want food, history and culture shock, go north!

For the west, 10 days doesn't give you time to see everything so concentrate on seeing a few things in one state. For example, drive out to AZ and see:
- petrified forest
- meteor crater
- flagstaff
- Grand Canyon southern rim
- and on the way back stop by monument valley and 4 corners

For the Northeast,
- Washington DC
- Philly and Independance Hall
- Washington's crossing of the Delaware River
- NY and Times Square, Central Park, Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island
Tom and Katharine
'07 Winnebago Tour 40TD, 400hp Cummins
RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 12:53 PM   #4
Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43''s Avatar
With only 10 days if you head West all you will be doing is driving long days. I would think about what I wanted to see within 500-600 miles of homebase and plan from there. Not knowing your interest it's hard too make recommendations.
2008 Jeep Sahara '4Dr"
Ronnie Bledsoe
Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 03:31 PM   #5
Thanks for your input, to answer a couple of questions definitely driving the motorhome. As far as interests, pretty much open to anything. Love nature was thinking possibly Maine. But I have never been to Philadelphia or DC and those are definitely some historic cities I would love to see and do the tourist thing. My thoughts about going out west were exactly what some of you stated 10 days is not really enough. Unfortunately not even close to retirement yet so any longer trips will have to wait.
tidalwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 05:00 PM   #6
Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Welcome To THE FORUM...
Only a suggestion. I did this trip- East Tn. to Haymarket,Va.-stayed at Greenville Farm C/g. From there it was 40 minutes to Air /space museum at Dulles apt. Metro came close so I parked and went into the D.C area.. Another day trip was up to Gettysburg NP. Another two days were spent at Manassas NP. There's an awful lot to see; just take time to enjoy the time you have.
Safe Travels...
JOE.. LEO(ret.)-active USCGAUX-
ck. our website:www.overmountainsams.com
skipwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 05:29 PM   #7
A shorter drive would be to spend a couple of days in historic Charleston, SC and then travel to the Outer Banks of NC. Both are beautiful places to visit.
2016 Dodge Ram 2500 Laramie 6.7 CTD, 45 gallon gravity tank, Cooper A/T3's, Bilstiens
2012 Arctic Fox 22H 300 watt Solar, Morningstar TS-45, 460 AH batteries, Xantrax 1000 watt PSW
Abnmarine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 06:01 PM   #8
Fleetwood Owners Club
If you haven't been to E. Tenn smokey mtns, start there. Just remember I 40 E. of the I 81 split is closed right after you get into NC. Supposed to be open late April. Check first, they are behind schedule. The trip thru VA using Rt. 29 and/or 11 will yield some good sights and campgrounds. As you may know the Blueridge parkway is off limits to big rigs but reachable from some nearby campgrounds in 15 to 30 mins.

David & Gail Salisbury, NC
2003 American Eagle 42'
denochs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 02:03 PM   #9
Newmar Owners Club
Hi tidalwave,
I'm just South of you in West Palm Beach. Most don't realize how long Florida is and how long it takes us to just get out of the state. If it were me and to keep it simple, I'd:

1. Go to DC for a short week. Stay at Cherry Hill CG in College Park, MD. Take the buss (at the CG) to the train into DC. You can buy your tickets at the CG office.

2. Go to the South Central Pa. area for another short week. This is the Gettysburg and Amish area of Pa.

From this area you can choose your return route down I81 or I95. Think of this as a "Whitman Sampler" trip. One could easily spend a month in either area.

2005 Newmar KSDP 3910 + GMC ENVOY XUV 37K lbs Moving Down The Road
The Avatar Is Many Times Around The USA
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote