Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-03-2017, 12:12 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by KT4Wextra View Post
Unfortunately, the web page doesn't tell you the details. It tells you what IS allowed but not what is restricted. Just because it doesn't say you can't doesn't mean you can.
I disagree! With regard to traffic laws they generally tell you what you can't do, not what you can do. What I posted is not the law, but an interpretation of Georgia Code, Section 40-16-2, which if you read that I don't even see it addressing HOV lanes. The link I provided says vehicles with 2 or more occupants. Please show me the law saying otherwise. Not trying to call you out, but there is just too much hearsay in the information provided. I would guess most cops can't tell you what law it is even there is one.

On the other hand, I have driven through Atlanta many times and wouldn't even attempt to drive my MH or previous truck with trailer in the HOV lanes. Once in your in that lane it would really hard to maneuver with a long vehicle.
69Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2017, 06:12 AM   #16

Ohio Bridge

Thanks for the toll info just ordered my EZ Pass. Got it in NH even though I live in Florida. NH was 8.50 a Transponder and no monthly fees.
jedgar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 09:25 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justwinginit View Post
I recommend going straight through Atlanta on Sunday. We have found that the best way to go going back and forth from Kentucky to Florida. A lot of trucks on the bypass. Sunday is bearable. So we plan our trip accordingly.
Is the 675 285 Loop ok on Sunday? We were planning on going through on Sunday moning and staying a little south of Atlanta Saturday.
Thanks
jedgar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 09:34 AM   #18

why would get off I75 to use 675 and 285 to get 'around' Atlanta just to get back on I75 ?

just stay on I75 the WHOLE WAY from Ocala to Cincinnati ! you're making way too much of the Atlanta 'thing'... the roads are designed to use, it's just 8 lanes instead of only 2!
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 09:40 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedgar1 View Post
Thanks for the toll info just ordered my EZ Pass. Got it in NH even though I live in Florida. NH was 8.50 a Transponder and no monthly fees.
Why would you need this...are you going thru Louisville on the way to Indiana from Florida? (in any case, I265 around town is free)
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 10:13 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We've hit 48 states and Atlanta is on the top of my list for the most truck traffic I've ever run into...keep in mind we run through Los Angles all the time.

I've found in general that early Sunday morning is a good time to travel through and around large cities. Don't know if that is true for Atlanta though.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 06:43 AM   #21

That's what we do too. We stay in a campground either north or south of Atlanta. Refuse to go through any other day pulling a 43 foot 5er. Sunday only. We travel back and forth between Ky and Florida. Best time we ever found. I can't take all those lanes with so many people. Drives me crazy and that's when I've been in a car. In a camper it's way worse. Refuse to do it
Justwinginit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 08:13 AM   #22

If you can find a way around or go on Sunday, you'll have a better chance with getting thru with out to much back up. I lived in metro Atlanta for 30 years and the traffic there will never be any fun to go thru. Still major construction on north side for the next year or two. Dave
Old 02-05-2017, 08:28 AM   #23

Take a nice detour through Mississippi, or somewhere.
MoJoGraphics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 12:40 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoJoGraphics View Post
Take a nice detour through Mississippi, or somewhere.

"Or somewhere" made me laugh!
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 12:53 PM   #25

Yes, but the downtown and eastern bridges are toll. The only toll-free bridge across the Ohio river is at the west end of town. And, the bypass routes are I-265 north of the river and I-264 on the south side

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterT View Post
....going thru Louisville on the way to Indiana from Florida? (in any case, I265 around town is free)
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 12:54 PM   #26

I live just south of ATL near Macon, GA. I've driven to the ATL airport many times and agree with Sunday morning (earlier the better) as the optimum day to travel. Straight through is best. The most difficult part is where 75 and 85 diverge. If you're northbound, stay right or you'll find yourself on 85!
Old 02-05-2017, 01:18 PM   #27

The good thing about taking a left at tifton is that it affords you the ability to go through Alabama! Stop at a few of our towns. You will like it.
Old 02-05-2017, 01:31 PM   #28

Traveling through Atlanta was probably ok just after Sherman finished with it. Now it is a nightmare. Plan for an o dark thirty passage on a Sunday morning and go straight through, no bypasses. Trucks have to run the bypasses, you don't. Even at that, if I never have to go through Atlanta again, it will be too soon.
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote