Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-01-2017, 07:25 AM   #1

Going around Atlanta

We are traveling fron Ocala Florida to Nappannee In. in the srping and want to go up 75 but somehow avoid Atlanta. Anyone know any good way around Atlanta?
Been there once and not looking forward to it again in a 40' MH
Thanks
jedgar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2017, 07:37 AM   #2

Rexhall Owners Group
I think that the best way to avoid Atlanta is to use I-65 north. You can go over I-10 to U.S. 231 north, and then a stress free drive up I-65. If you are a country music fan, you could enjoy a day or two in Nashville.
Bob
Bobb.25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 07:45 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
We came up I-75 last week with a 30ft and a toad. We picked up I-285 (just south of Atlanta) , It swings around the west side of Atlanta and then intersects again with I-75 northwest of the city. We came through about noon on Thursday. As always, avoid rush hour traffic times when circumnavigating large cities.

If you want to get off the beaten path, the US-231 route proposed by Bobb may be interesting. I've never came up US-231, so not sure if it would be acceptable to me. (I might try it next time)
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 09:07 AM   #4

Avoid Atlanta @ nite

Had the necessity to tow my 5er around Atlanta @ nite, had to get home, so just did it! I will never get anywhere close to Atlanta on an interstate after dark again! Those people are idiots! Even had two hi-dollar imports pass me on either side at the same time, and come together so hard they bounced clear back into their own lanes. Neither slowed down, but started chasing. About 10 miles further on, the one with the damage to the right side was pulled over by a guard rail, inspecting the damage while the traffic zoomed by. Didn't even have sense enough to pull off on an off ramp.
TheOldMan76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 09:16 AM   #5

there's no way to 'avoid' going thru Atlanta, even considering the I285 'bypass', it is rougher and just as annoying - but we go thru Atl all the time and just use the HOV line right thru the heart of town on the I75/I85 'connector, as they call it...
note: if you don't use the HOV lanes, to stay on I75 when going thru ATL, after the big curves in downtown, I75 will veer off on the RIGHT lanes... this is a little confusing to most. We always use the HOV lanes in our 35' coach with toad, you just stay in the HOV lane to stay on I75, it's easy.

ATLANTA is o.k. to drive thru - just use the 10am-2pm rule and you'll be fine...
it's not a hard and fast rule, as I just came thru yesterday at about 3pm with no issues whatsoever....

there was a 45' Prevost with 30' trailer in front of us, and a 45' Dutchstar with tow vehicle behind us.... it's doable for anyone - don't be scared.
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 09:41 AM   #6

Just tootle up US-27 to Chattanooga and forget all about Atlanta. It won't be real fast but it works.
Old 02-01-2017, 09:53 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedgar1 View Post
We are traveling fron Ocala Florida to Nappannee In. in the srping and want to go up 75 but somehow avoid Atlanta. Anyone know any good way around Atlanta?
Been there once and not looking forward to it again in a 40' MH
Thanks
I recommend going straight through Atlanta on Sunday. We have found that the best way to go going back and forth from Kentucky to Florida. A lot of trucks on the bypass. Sunday is bearable. So we plan our trip accordingly.
Justwinginit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 04:02 AM   #8

I do like straight thru like justwingit says.

However, To avoid Atlanta to get into north Alabama (then to nashville on up), my favorite drive is 82 west from Tifton ga, on to Albany, Columbus, and all the way to birmingham on U S 280. The only real problem is 280 just outside Birmingham. From there, 65 is good to go.

Note: you do want to take the I85 by pass around Opelika. So, if you have your gps on no freeways, change that before you get to Opelika Al. When you get on it, take the second exit back to 280 west.

I don't know how much time it adds to the trip but it is a nice drive.
Old 02-03-2017, 06:35 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Alternate route

We have used an alternate route now around ATL for many years in many RV's. Its relaxing and virtually all 4 lane road-- most of which is 65 mph. Yes there are a few stop lights in towns, but they are not frustrating and traffic is easy to non existent. It is an interesting ride with lots to see.

Northbound exit off 75 at Tifton at exit 62 in GA, go west on US 82/GA 520 and continue on the north bypass around Albany. proceed through Dawson and remain on 520 towards Ft Benning. After you pass through Ft Benning, take the I-185 exit northbound towards LaGrange. At the end of I-185 exit west on I 85 to LaGrange for 1 mile and depart I- 85 off exit 18. Proceed west on GA 109 Lafayette Parkway to the mall and large water tank and turn right onto Davis Rd. Spur 14 and turn right. In about 3 miles (at the second traffic light ) turn right onto US 27. Follow US 27 north to Rome. As you approach Rome you will see an exit to the right onto US 411. Proceed east on 411 to GA 1 about 2 miles, turn left onto GA 1 (Rome bypass) and proceed to GA 53 and turn right. Follow it to its intersection with I-75 at Calhoun.
Seems convoluted but in reality its an easy and fast route with lots to see and no boredom. Its not as fast as I-75 but its a relatively straight shot around ATL on great- low traffic 4 lane with good speeds.

The run takes us about 4-5 hours from Tifton to Calhoun depending on how much we goof off .
Americanrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 06:49 AM   #10

[QUOTE=we go thru Atl all the time and just use the HOV line right thru the heart of town on the I75/I85 'connector, as they call it...
note: if you don't use the HOV lanes, to stay on I75 when going thru ATL, after the big curves in downtown, I75 will veer off on the RIGHT lanes... this is a little confusing to most. We always use the HOV lanes in our 35' coach with toad, you just stay in the HOV lane to stay on I75, it's easy.

ATLANTA is o.k. to drive thru - just use the 10am-2pm rule and you'll be fine...
it's not a hard and fast rule, as I just came thru yesterday at about 3pm with no issues whatsoever....
[/QUOTE]

I would advise against using the HOV lane, you can be ticketed. The only motor coaches allowed in the HOV are commercial buses. RV's are not, especially with a toad. If you haven't been caught yet you have been lucky. I have been through this on another thread and one person called the DOT and they told him don't do it. The law says 2 axles and or 6 wheel limit.
Old 02-03-2017, 06:53 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Carolina Campers
I live in Atlanta, It's completely miserable to drive around here. I've been getting stuck mid day on the weekends in traffic now.. Terrible..
Old 02-03-2017, 07:03 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by KT4Wextra View Post
I would advise against using the HOV lane, you can be ticketed. The only motor coaches allowed in the HOV are commercial buses. RV's are not, especially with a toad. If you haven't been caught yet you have been lucky. I have been through this on another thread and one person called the DOT and they told him don't do it. The law says 2 axles and or 6 wheel limit.
Can you quote that law? This is all I can find and it doesn't preclude MH's.

High Occupancy Vehicle (HOV) Lanes | Georgia Department of Public Safety
69Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 08:43 AM   #13

Unfortunately, the web page doesn't tell you the details. It tells you what IS allowed but not what is restricted. Just because it doesn't say you can't doesn't mean you can. I can't find the information so far. If you contact Georgia State Patrol (404-624-7700) they can give you the details. Somewhere in the Georgia Code is the answer but finding the correct code is a challenge. I do know that HOV vehicles can not have over 2 axles or more that 6 wheels (2 front/4 rear), at least 2 occupants, no towed vehicles (toads). Commercial buses (Greyhound etc) are exempted, as well as motorcycles, and hybrid vehicles. I know many RVrs have used the HOV lanes and have not been stopped but just been lucky. HOV rules are pretty much the same nationwide, some even require 3 occupants and there may be some local changes. Some HOV lanes are only during specific hours, in that case using a HOV lane during non specified hours would be allowed. I live in the Atlanta area and am not aware of any HOV lanes that are not 24 hour use, possibly I-20 on the east side may not be 24 hour. I-85 north, I-75 on the north and south side of Atlanta now have Express lanes which are toll. The I-75 Express lanes are walled off but the I-85 Express lane is not, don't even think about it. The I-75 Express lanes just started operation January 29th.
Old 02-03-2017, 08:50 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobb.25 View Post
I think that the best way to avoid Atlanta is to use I-65 north. You can go over I-10 to U.S. 231 north, and then a stress free drive up I-65.
Bob
Be aware the I-65 bridge over the Ohio River in Louisville is now toll.