Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-02-2015, 07:19 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Going East

Hello Fellow Travelers,

For the last 20 years we've taken several trips out west from our home in Tennessee. This year, just for a change, we're contemplating going east.

We haven't finalized our plans but we're talking about Washington, D.C. to Maine. Including Boston, Nantucket, Martha's Vineyard and so forth.

Does anyone have any general suggestions, do's and dont's, etc?

Thank You,

Steve Gilbert
msg1951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2015, 08:28 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Jayco Owners Club

Went east last summer after several trips west. Big Difference. I had a 32 foot motorhome and no toad. Because the east is more populated and things are closer together, I had a hard time getting close to things I wanted to see. Went from NJ to Main which is an historic area and found it fascinating. Around cities like New York and Boston you may want to think about tours rather than exploring in your toad. Traffic in that part of the country is a whole different thing. your in for a treat. Good Luck

Bob
Bobs A Class is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 09:28 PM   #3

I've made several trips (not in the RV) to Boston for genealogical research. Don't drive in Boston. Parking is a) practically nonexistent and b) expensive. There are no rv parks really close, but several in the outskirts are close to train stations, where you can take the train into Boston for a reasonable sum. campgroundreviews.com is your friend there. There is a county or state park in Quincy, limited hookups, that's inexpensive. When we go fulltime next year, we expect to stay a month or so in Massachusetts. The RV resorts are pricey, and are mostly open only from maybe April to October.

Outside of DC, Cherry Hill Park is highly rated, and has a bus that will take you to the train. Don't drive in DC either. There really is no parking.

Both of these cities are great walking cities with good public transportation.

Also, you know Nantucket and Martha's Vineyard are both islands, so you won't be taking the rv there. LOL.

Don't pass up Plimouth Plantation in Plymouth, or the Freedom Trail and Quincy Market in Boston. I love both DC and Boston, and would love to live in either if I could afford it.
Old 03-03-2015, 03:44 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
I've also stayed at Cheery Hill park when I have business in DC. (make sure you have reservations)

BIG park, there is a lot to do on site for grand kids. and as mentioned, there is a bus stop in the park that will take you to the train station for a ride into DC.

When I'm in meetings, The wife and kids either stay at the park or hop the bus/train and come into DC, walk around, visit museums, or stop in and chat with their Rep or Senator.

We then meet back at Union Statiion at a certain time and catch the train/bus back to the RV park (about 45 minute ride)

I second what VJ said, Having a vehicle in DC is a liability. park somewhere outside the city and take the train in.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 04:27 AM   #5

We stayed several days in the Washington, DC area at Greenbelt state park north of town, drove the toad into downtown to see the museums, monuments, cemetery, 911 memorial, and national zoo.
Stayed at Quakertown, PA Quakerwoods RV park, then drove toad into NY city. Didnt stay long - it was the day before Obama was to arrive to speak to UN and they were already closing some streets - we drove by 30 Rock and thru Times Square, but found no parking, never stopped or got out - 4 hours and 'fun' driving thru and around NYC.
... etc etc
: ) just do it!
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 05:28 AM   #6

I just read an article in Motorhome of a park in jersey across from NYC that appeared good. Along the coast of Ct in Madison there is a state park, right on the beach, Hammanasett with a RV camp, cheap but need to make reservations early. Also if you make reservations on the Ferry you can actually go to a park on marthas vinyard. Not a lux place but cool.

Don't plan on driving in NYC or Boston.Park it baby!!

salisbury beach in Mass nerar the NH border has some nice parks near the water.
edsperfect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 05:34 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Grand Design Owners Club
If you are headed east, don't miss the outer banks of NC. Two summers ago we went to Province town and took the ferry to Nantucket. Lots of good parks but have reservations in the prime time. We took the wrong route ( up 95 and across the top of NYC to Conn.) The toll on the George Washing bridge was 37.00 - we had a 5th wheel at the time. But the big thing was, we didn't see any other RV's on the road! Just a million cars/trucks. Other RV,s had learned to avoid getting near NYC! It was tense close countered driving but we survived. And now, I know that too. have fun, mark
MCJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 05:43 AM   #8

Since you'll have a towed. It's easy to find a place centrally located in Maine, and then daytrip north & south, that is if you want to be near the coast. We stay in Bucksport which makes it easy for daytrips. Down around the Wells area it can be pretty crowded with all the summer tourists, also more difficult to find a campground in that area if you wait too long to make a res. But no matter where you decide, you won't be far from....LOBSTAH!!!
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 06:01 AM   #9

going east

ACES HIGH rv park near MYSTIC SEAPORT is a great rv park.. and close to MYSTIC ...
cherv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 06:10 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Don't miss Acadia National Park in Maine, it is a beautiful area. They have a shuttle that will pick you up at many of the RV parks outside of Acadia and that makes it very convenient. We have stayed at Bar Harbor Campground, which does not take reservations. If you show up Sunday afternoon or Monday you should be able to get it as long as it isn't a holiday week. It's nice having lobster dinner delivered to the RV!

And stay away from New York City with the RV, drive well around, in particular do not use the George Washington Bridge and recognize if the road is a parkway you shouldn't be on it in New York. Thruways are ok.
BoA36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 06:12 AM   #11

So much to do , so much to see. Requires a lot of time and patience. Like you already have been told, CG are few and far. Driving is a whole new world. Can't park now, cause of snow, but double parking seems legal to some people. Patience. Stay away from the Marathon, unless you qualify.. Dig clams, eat lobsters from Boston north to Nova Scotia. What an experience your going to have. Enjoy ...
spsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 08:10 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vjkahler View Post
Also, you know Nantucket and Martha's Vineyard are both islands, so you won't be taking the rv there. LOL.
Actually Martha's Vineyard has a Campground & you can take your RV on the ferry! Haven't done it but always thought that would be a pretty wild vacay.

My major tip would be - try to bypass 95 as much as possible!
Old 03-03-2015, 05:16 PM   #13

I thought I saw that there is a campground on Martha's Vineyard, but I looked up the ferry price for the rv and toad and decided it wasn't worth it for us; I forget how much it cost.
Old 03-03-2015, 05:48 PM   #14

Country Coach Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
DC can take a few weeks all by itself if you really take the time to explore. I've been there at least 150 times and still have not seen all I have wanted to. I always park out in Arlington or Chrystal City and then ride the METRO. Parking in DC even in a car is a nightmare. One drive around DC and you will see why they always talk about fixing our roads and bridges. The ones there are falling down and full of holes.

If you stop by Rep Gohmert's office, if he is in town he does special night tours of the Capitol building and you will see places the tours do not show you. Very likeable fellow and his private tours are a hoot.

For me no tour of the region is complete without going to Monticello

Stop in Philly and see the Liberty Bell which is across the street from Independence Hall where our nation began. I actually sat in the "Speakers" chair. Park outside of town and drive the TOAD

Valley Forge is close by as well as Gettysburg

NYC. Ok Lady Liberty is great and so is the 911 memorial. But, park your coach in Allentown and drive to NYC in a car. You do not want to drive anything larger than a Jeep Grand Cherokee within 75 miles of NYC. No place to park anything bigger anyway.

Enjoy the east. DC and Virginia are the best parts of it IMHO.
1992 Country Coach Magna #4926 "Maggie" 25' Stacker "The Toy Box"
Facebook | IRV2[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old Car Nut is offline   Reply With Quote