Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-24-2013, 01:24 PM   #15

Thanks Ronjhall... I looked over that route and it very well could be a better choice. It would mean missing the overnight visit in Kansas, but I will certainly consider this option... I really appreciate your input on this... It doesn't even add too many miles onto the trip...Safety first!!
Dan_Kathy D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-24-2013, 01:27 PM   #16

Good points targaboat... We hope to have a house to arrive at by then, but planning a contingency is a smart Idea... Looking over your route suggestion now... easier terrain is always good.

So many great Ideas and help...Thanks to everyone for your thoughts!!
Old 12-24-2013, 02:25 PM   #17

I Hope this isn't a re- post... Can't see my last post...

Thanks Targaboat... I am looking over all my options and defenetley ( I hate that word)... Certainly going to doouble check everything before solidifying my plans.

Merry Christmas to all...Thanks so much for the information and thoughtful help... I'll check back in later on...
Old 12-24-2013, 11:52 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_Kathy D View Post
I have not actually driven a Motor Home in cold weather, But just about everything else to include Tractor trailer combo's. I was planning to stop in Takonsha MI as the last stop, Mainly to stick as close to a 400 mile schedule, and also so we wouldn't arrive to late in the day...That would make our last leg only about 140 miles or so...

I am aiming for Truck Stops and Wal Marts for stopping points, and favoring Truck Stops. Also we will be stopping at a relatives house along the way in Arkansas City KS.

As far as keeping warm inside, I plan on installing the Catalytic heater this weekend, having an extra propane tank, and am working on weather stripping any and all openings and doors/compartments.

Thanks for your thoughts, very helpful indeed.
please install a carbon monoxide detector on the ceiling in the bedroom.
i installed wired indoor-outdoor temp gauges in my basement water tank, pump, and service compartments. wireless would be better. i heat my water service compartment with a 60w or 100w bulb in a trouble light when i am not running my suburban propane furnace. my atwood water heater operates on 110v or propane and keeps my forward compartments from freezing.
we use the allstays website extensively to find places to stop overnight. this website has stores, truckstops, and parks that are good for overnighters. interstate rest stops are ok sometimes if you can stay away from idling trucks. the same is true about truck stops.
this website is kept up to date by users.

Wal mart Locations Store Details & Parking | Walmart Store Locator

Overnight RV parking etiquette
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 12:12 AM   #19

Awesome Idea Dan... I have an extra indoor outdoor thermometer...I have insulated the plumbing in the storage areas, but I still have to do something for the drain areas... I like the light bulb Idea, But even in the best ride conditions, I would be afraid it may break... I have the worst luck with light bulbs. There is a 12v fixture in there, but it may not be enough... Insulation may do it... I'll figure something out.

We do have a Carbon Monoxide detector in the bedroom and also a Propane detector. Thanks for the tips on Allstays and the links... I'll check them out. Really great Input...I thank you!!
Old 12-25-2013, 05:14 AM   #20

Those old filament bulbs are getting hard to find. I've used a heat lamp for reptiles to very good effect in my boat water areas. Sturdy and cheap to operate, but a little spendy.
Mike_Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 09:12 AM   #21

This is another thing I need to be looking out for and avoid!!!

https://www.facebook.com/dan.k.daugh...5?notif_t=like
Old 12-25-2013, 09:34 AM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
The I69 route is fairly new and in very good shape. We drive it a lot. Its a N/S road so blowing snow across the road will be your biggest concern. Once you get to Lansing the road goes E/W.

There is a Flying J at I96/I69.

Here are two sites to keep handy.
www.johndee.com probably the best snow report out there.

www.theweatherwiz.com good long range forecast.

Merry Christmas

And Welcome to Michigan.
JohnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 10:09 AM   #23

Thanks JohnT... Great information! I Love that long range forcast site...Very helpful

Merry Christmas to you and your Family as well!!
Old 12-25-2013, 11:32 AM   #24

As another mitten RV, be sure to pick up a CO monitor. Get one that is powered by its internal battery and hang on a screw somewhere. Once in the cold weather , it woke us up in time to make other arrangements (instead of others making them for us).

Up 69 is not a bad idea, it will keep you away from the lake effect show. Get on the web and try to get new weather every chance you have.

I am glad you have a job, but the way Michigan is, I would keep the registration of the MH current.

Were I you (thankfully am not), I would try to add an extra day to the schedule to allow for the weather going bad. Small plane pilots dies all the time by trying to push through bad weather. Truckers almost as much, but they can't fall out of the sky.
Old 12-25-2013, 11:58 AM   #25

More good Ideas... Thanks MattC... Your right, A CO monitor powered by Battery is a great Idea... Even Solar powered systems can fail right?

This is why I posted this thread... I'm trying to plan the safest trip I can.

And your right also about extra time... I would rather travel at snail speed than push it tool far.

We are currently looking for and finding many great options for on-the-fly weather updates so between all the gadgets we have, I'm sure we'll be well informed...Hopefully not confused and conflicted...LOL.

Thanks again everybody...Love all the great Ideas and Info!!
Old 02-17-2014, 11:26 AM   #26

Update:

Our trip to Michigan now has a date. We found a house in Metamora and are currently waiting for it to close which should happen near March 14th. We should be able to move in on the 17th of March so we plan on arriving in Michigan on the 16th.

Originally, we had thought that we would be traveling in February and I'm certainly glad we are not. Though we actually enjoyed our week of house hunting there in January, We are not sure the Motor Home would do well there just yet.

I am hoping and confident that the weather will be much more friendly around mid March, but who knows right? I am still preparing for the worst and hoping for the best.

I am looking forward to our awesome new Home, It sure was beautiful, Even in the dead of Winter!!
Old 02-17-2014, 11:26 AM   #27

By the way...Thanks so much for all of you and your helpful suggestions!!