Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-24-2013, 12:08 PM   #1

Going North, Arizona to MI.

My Wife and I are moving (Job relocation) from Arizona to Michigan, northwest of Detroit and we have to be there by March 1st 2014.

We are driving our '94 38' Rexhall Airex, Gas 460 with tag Axle, and I'm thinking it would be better to tow the toad (Honda CR-V) with my Pick-up we're bringing along instead of the Motor Home. We have a route planned, but if there are areas I should avoid, I would be grateful and open to any suggestions.

The rig has new solar panels and inverter, Working Generator, All new tires (about a month old), New roof coat, and I am still inspecting things to be the best prepared I can be. I have sealed all the compartments and have some more silicone work to do and I will be installing our new Catalytic heater this weekend.

My biggest concern is the weather and road conditions, and even though I have tried to think of everything, I am all ears for suggestions for a successful and safe trip. It has to be done even if we go slow.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Dan_Kathy D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-24-2013, 12:25 PM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
Welcome to metro Detroit. Have you ever been here before? I'm in Garden City which is west of Detroit and north of metro airport. Do you have your route planed out. There will be construction in Livonia on I96 between I275 & Telegraph rd. they will be closing this part of the freeway early in the new year but there are many other roads to take after all this is the motor city.

Old 12-24-2013, 12:31 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Welcome to Michigan. If you need campgrounds in Michigan, many don't open until April 15 or May 1st so check ahead. As "Intothewild" stated, major road construction, but there are ways around it. Personally, I don't like 80/90 with my motorhome and having to maneuver past endless toll booths, so I prefer I-94 where possible. Travel safe.
Old 12-24-2013, 12:37 PM   #4

Thanks Intothewild... We do have a route planned and since we will be comming from the south / west, we will be coming up 69 toward Lancing to Flint, then to Lapeer as our new home will be in that area.

My Wife has been there before on a few trips, I haven't but I'm no stranger to cold weather, having lived in South Dakota. We're looking forward to the change in seasons.
Old 12-24-2013, 12:40 PM   #5

And Thanks Brad and Bonnie...

LOL...I did see all the toll roads on 80 / 90 that's why I chose to come up from Indianapolis... Not much difference in Milage so why stress through that...Thanks for the confirmation on staying clear of that area.
Old 12-24-2013, 12:42 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
If I may share this post with you, weather in Feb could be your worst enemy. What can happen to a MH in 10 below zero (long)

Hopefully you will have clear and warm skies for your trip, but don't push it if you don't.
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 12:49 PM   #7

Thanks for the Info Brobox... I'll read up right now. I have spent quite some time living in a smaller MH in a cold Climate, But I sure do appreciate any and all info I can get. I don't want to take anything for granted!!
Old 12-24-2013, 12:52 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Be aware that coming around Lake Michigan can get kind of nasty that time of year. I would carry a weather radio for weather warnings. You may want to post your planned route in order to get the best info Michiganders can offer.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 12:54 PM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
Lapeer is a very nice town I have been there numerous times I'm sure that you will find it very nice
Old 12-24-2013, 01:11 PM   #10

Great Idea Pepper2...

I tried screenshot, but didn't work... Basically I figured I'd be ok till I get up to Fort Wayne area... We're planning on coming up 69 to Lansing, then east to Flint, Then to Lapeer and Metamora. A weather radio is definitely on the list of things to have along.

Thanks for the post!
Old 12-24-2013, 01:38 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Your welcome. Have you ever driven you MH in cold weather? Sometimes they can be difficult to keep warm inside and condensation on the windows can sometimes be an issue. You may want to consider having the Indianapolis area your last overnight stop, then make your last leg of your trip to Lapeer. Would be warmer down there and more chances of finding a CG open that time of year. Welcome to MI.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 02:06 PM   #12

Lived all my life in MI. You will like the Lapeer area. We made the trip back from McAllen, TX last year in early March. Not a bad trip. But going back into February a couple of weeks can run into some bad weather. I would suggest that you stay off I-40. I-10 to I-20 to I-65 to I-69. This should keep day time temperatures above freezing until the last days of your trip.
If you have a smart phone. There are some very good apps that will give you weather warnings and trip weather as you travel. Without worrying about what area you are in.
Old 12-24-2013, 02:11 PM   #13

I have not actually driven a Motor Home in cold weather, But just about everything else to include Tractor trailer combo's. I was planning to stop in Takonsha MI as the last stop, Mainly to stick as close to a 400 mile schedule, and also so we wouldn't arrive to late in the day...That would make our last leg only about 140 miles or so...

I am aiming for Truck Stops and Wal Marts for stopping points, and favoring Truck Stops. Also we will be stopping at a relatives house along the way in Arkansas City KS.

As far as keeping warm inside, I plan on installing the Catalytic heater this weekend, having an extra propane tank, and am working on weather stripping any and all openings and doors/compartments.

Thanks for your thoughts, very helpful indeed.
Old 12-24-2013, 02:16 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Previous is good advice. Suggest you consider north at Memphis on 55, 57,70, to 69 which would be easier terrain a maybe a little shorter. We use that route every year to Michigan. Also make parking space arrangement ahead in Michigan. You might have to hunt for a place which is open. Perhaps temporarily in a mobile home park. Also if weather closes in you can leave you coach and go back in the car later to get it. Weather is not usually bad for long periods that time of year.