Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-02-2016, 01:08 PM   #29

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGBPokes View Post
Having traveled all over the world, let me tell you the US border and customs agents are usually very professional and courteous.
More than once, I've had a AK 47, or mini sub machine gun pointed at my luggage and waved. I knew exactly what they wanted, even if we didn't speak the language, and I darn sure just smiled, nodded my head and opened my luggage. Only a fool would show an attitude in those situations.

I appreciate the dangerous, important work they do. I smile, take off my sunglasses, say sir a lot. A couple of times I've gotten extra attention, honesty, and respectful responses have always worked.

In my coach, been waived thru more times than stopped. The few times I've been stopped just questions. I always thank them for their service, and tell them to be safe.

P.S. My son is on his fourth tour and will be sleeping in Afhanistan tonight. That will make you appreciate and respect these folks.

Not sure what one has to do with the other.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2016, 01:22 PM   #30

Newmar Owners Club
I have traveled the I 10 route between AZ and TX many times and been through the check points. They are always courteous and respectful. I have never been searched. Similarly with the agricultural check points. Pulling a 5th wheel is not time for me to assert any rights to refuse answering questions. they are only doing their job and keeping us safe. I always thank them for their service. Crossed into Canada once. No trouble either way except for staying in the car lane on the way back. Very tight between the concrete barriers. next time I shall use the truck lane when coming back into the US.
Old 11-02-2016, 02:12 PM   #31

Cool Checkpoints

There are several checkpoints. In California, agricultural checkpoints to prevent the entry of any out of state fruit which could devastate the California fruit industry.
Along I-8, one in California and one in Arizona. One going north out of El Centro, northbound only. Never have had a problem at any of them. If you are courteous to the agents, they will be courteous to you.
The only place they asked to look inside our trailer was entering the Hoover/Boulder Dam tourist area.
Old 11-02-2016, 02:16 PM   #32

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Nothing to to with the TX/AZ border but when crossing into California, they now stop all RV's to ask if you have firewood. Due to the drought here, beetles have infested a lot of trees. If you see a dead tree, chances are its due to beetle infestation. The funny thing is that the beetles are here and not a problem elsewhere, so why would it matter? Imported wood is beetle free.
Old 11-02-2016, 04:06 PM   #33

Went thru that checkpoint a couple of times this year. The drug dogs make one pass 360 degrees around your vehicle and one of the officers looks in the window and asks if anyone else is travelling with you. They ask you if you are US citizens, and if your face clears the facial recognition data base with no problems, you are told to continue your journey. They are pretty polite people but definitely come across as authoritative.
Old 11-02-2016, 04:23 PM   #34

I stopped by the dam to check it out this time in a RV 21 ft I was asked if they could search the inside of my RV. I told them to get a warrant for probable cause to illegally search the RV. No warrent no illegal search. I was not allowed to go to the dam. I left and continued with my r v trip. My first time there was driving a 18 wheeler with no problems[Moderator Edit]
Old 11-02-2016, 04:51 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
And nuts...
I see lot's of them on EB I-40, driving/pulling U-Hauls and Penskes!

[SIGPIC]sigpic160806_2.gif[/SIGPIC]
Old 11-02-2016, 04:54 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahdi View Post
I have traveled the I 10 route between AZ and TX many times and been through the check points. They are always courteous and respectful. I have never been searched. Similarly with the agricultural check points. Pulling a 5th wheel is not time for me to assert any rights to refuse answering questions. they are only doing their job and keeping us safe. I always thank them for their service. Crossed into Canada once. No trouble either way except for staying in the car lane on the way back. Very tight between the concrete barriers. next time I shall use the truck lane when coming back into the US.

Yup, just folks doing a boring job to feed their families (and maybe get hurt or killed for their efforts).

IMO The place to protest is at your Congress person's office. They are the ones who are depriving us of our Rights.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
Old 11-02-2016, 05:59 PM   #37

I can't understand the big fuss over checkpoints. There are no issues and it's a simple process. They are there for a reason.
Old 11-02-2016, 07:26 PM   #38

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by edienick View Post
Anytime a law enforcement officer stops you (city, state, or federal), they do not have authority to search you or your vehicle without a search warrant or probable cause. Never give up your 4th amendment rights. The Border Patrol on I10 is still in the US, and they can not search you or your vehicle, and you do not have to answer any questions if you don't want too. Do not let any government agency bully you into giving up your constitutional rights.
Always one.... Actually the Border Patrol can, within 100ish miles of the border search pretty much anything they want. Given that statement they do have to articulate why.... later! Nowadays technology has made this easier.

Bill.... Former Border Patrol Agent

Moderator you might want to nip this one before it gets like the last one
Old 11-02-2016, 07:51 PM   #39

With millions of illegals already residing in the US I'm not sure why there are still checkpoints. Also, doesn't say much for the checkpoints since all those millions slipped in anyway. And yes, I have lots of experience with checkpoints going from AZ to CA and back for the past four decades of living in AZ. They have them on the two-lane roads south of Tucson, also. Not sure they do any good.
Old 11-02-2016, 10:35 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by V3600 View Post
They have them on the two-lane roads south of Tucson, also. Not sure they do any good.
The checkpoints aren't for illegals. The illegals aren't driving. They're out in the desert walking. They are for drugs and they confiscate millions of dollars worth of drugs trying to be smuggled in many ways.

Meth found hidden in tortillas at Nogales port | Border | tucson.com
Old 11-02-2016, 11:59 PM   #41

Hit the Rhod.
I am sorry to say you are actually wrong on your advice. The Customs and Border Protection Officers and the other agencies who are part of the CBP ( agriculture, Border Patrol for two) do not need any such search warrant and they do not have to ask to board and inspect or search your vehicle at the Border Check Point. CBP is the only Federal who can search with out a warrant. Any person or conveyance ( auto, truck,motor cycle, bicycle passenger /person cargo or mail aircraft boat or ship just to name a few). Every person has to clear CBP inspection when entering the USA.
I am a retired Supervisory Officer for CBP and spent some of my career on the north and south borders of the US as well as a few of our seaports and airports. When entering the checkpoint they can send you right to the secondary inspection area and ask if they can enter and search your motor home ( ask so they are not rude) but they don't have to. If you decide you will not let them in you will not be permitted to leave . They will not hesitate to place you under arrest if you do not comply with their orders. The best rule of thumb is to let them do the job that they are paid to do it's the law of the land. It is different with other federal agencies as they need a warrant and probable cause. That cause might be as simple as being in the nexus of the border. Just yield and stop at the check point and answer the simple questions they ask and comply with their instructions and you'll be on your way in a short time. They will most likely say to you before you depart thank you for your cooperation and have a safe trip. That is the best advice and remember they must act in a professional manner at all times, if not tell them you want to talk to the supervisor on the shift. The supervisor must by policy respond and talk with you. K9Piper (retired from CBP with 37 years of service)
Old 11-03-2016, 12:24 AM   #42

Checkpoints

Quote:
Originally Posted by edienick View Post
Anytime a law enforcement officer stops you (city, state, or federal), they do not have authority to search you or your vehicle without a search warrant or probable cause. Never give up your 4th amendment rights. The Border Patrol on I10 is still in the US, and they can not search you or your vehicle, and you do not have to answer any questions if you don't want too. Do not let any government agency bully you into giving up your constitutional rights.
Incorrect sir. After my 37 years experience on the border, seaports, airports cargo terminals trains etc as a supervisory CBP Officer and I were at a check point you would not be permitted to proceed until I finished my interview with you. If I wanted to search you, your vehicle and what ever was inside you would comply or we would be looking at you being charged. Most federal officers need a warrant to search but CBP Officers do not as long as you are entering or exiting the nexus of the border. That nexus can be as little as an inch or as far away as 100 miles. Now if you cross the border (at any point entering the US) you can be followed to your destination and have your vehicle search and with out a warrant and it all legal as long as the officers never lose sight of your vehicle. My advice is forget the confusing law problems.The local officers need a consent search or warranted search and they can impound your vehicle and such until they get a warrant. The key to that is the need proable cause not mere suspicion and that is for the state as well. The Fed usually will not stop a vehicle when it is not within the nexus of the border, if they do then they need a warrant. Hers a good example CBP can board and search a vessel or pleasure craft on the Hudson River in NY state because the river in in the nexus or the border. Life would be so easier just if folks would let the men and woman of CBP of the DHS do the job they are paid and trained to do. If you want to play with the law you better be schooled real well in Federal Law and the CODE of Federal Regulations (CFR) and that will show you what the Federal Law is for every federal law and regulation. K(Piper
Closed Thread