Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-15-2016, 12:30 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Going through Chicago

Will be on I 80 eastbound going to New England. Any bypass through Chicago without going 100 miles out of the way?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-15-2016, 12:36 PM   #2

I can't answer your question, but just be aware of those toll booths, they love mirrors.

Old 03-15-2016, 12:48 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
I-80 has one toll both going thru Chicago. I think it was $3.00-$4.00. You need to avoid the "rush Hour"' and other that that it is not too bad. We usually leave the east side of Michigan around 9 AM Mich time when going thru Chicago westbound and try to get in the Chicago area after 10 AM Chicago time. Going east on I-80 it is about the same. Just avoid the rush hour times and it is not too bad. Accidents screw everything up no matter what time.
2007 Jeep Wrangler
codgerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 12:49 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles tuit View Post
Will be on I 80 eastbound going to New England. Any bypass through Chicago without going 100 miles out of the way?
charles
??
I-80 doesn't go through Chicago... (if you stay on I-80 you will miss Chicago by 25-30 miles).
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 03-15-2016, 12:50 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
I drove thru both direction last June. I wanted to go south of I-80 but decided to stay on I-80. Staying on I-80 was the best decision. A small toll and some construction but no problems. Make certain you watch lanes for I-80.

-Tom, W3TLN

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 12:54 PM   #6

I80 goes pretty much straight through to Indiana. If there is no reason for you to go north towards Chicago, then just stay on 80. There is an area you will pass through in Joliet where the speed limit drops to 45MPH to negotiate an "S" curve in the road. That area is patrolled, so be aware of it. You will pay a toll to get on the Boreman Expressway around South Holland, IL (it is still I80, just a name change) and that is the only Illinois toll until you get on the Indiana Toll road. Once you see the exit for I65, make sure you start wandering into the right lane. The entrance for the Indiana Toll Road (for both East & West) is the same exit) is immediately after the north bound exit for Ripley Street.

Safe travels,
Dan
Old 03-15-2016, 01:10 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
I guess it is correct to say that I-80 does not go thru Chicago. It skirts the lower south side of Chicago. Having traveled it sooo many times I just think of it as "Chicago". However the traffic situation is as I originally described it. Go thru the southern burbs of Chicago on non rush hours and you should be OK.
2007 Jeep Wrangler
codgerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 08:02 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks to all for the great advice. I'll just time my drive through/pass by after the rush hours.
Old 03-16-2016, 08:10 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Eastbound during morning rush usually isn't a problem, westbound during evening rush usually isn't either. As mentioned above, if you're on I-80 you're bypassing Chicago. The real squeeze occurs at the Indiana border. Lot's of routes come together there. If I need to go through there, I use Google maps with traffic turned on and avoid when red. Good luck.
Old 03-16-2016, 03:49 PM   #10

Getting on the Indiana Tollroad Eastbound

[QUOTE=Pelledan;2978615]Once you see the exit for I65, make sure you start wandering into the right lane. The entrance for the Indiana Toll Road (for both East & West) is the same exit) is immediately after the north bound exit for Ripley Street.

Because the exit mentioned above can be a little tricky (and busy), I think you'll find it's easier to just take the I-65 North exit from I-80 to the Tollroad. It's less congested and there are no additional tolls.

BTW, from there, eastbound, gassing up is less expensive at either of the first 2 rest areas. After that, the price typically goes up.
GC Rapidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 06:29 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by GC Rapidman View Post
BTW, from there, eastbound, gassing up is less expensive at either of the first 2 rest areas. After that, the price typically goes up.
+1. The first rest area very soon after I-80 joins the Indiana tollroad. Its were I always get gas when coming from IL.

If the traffic is bad due to accident, I'd suggest just sticking with it. All the locals will get off and gum up the few surface street alternatives just as bad. I spent 40 years living and driving the stretch from Joliet to I-65 as most of my relatives lived within a few miles of that stretch.

I have an alternate rural 2-lane route to get to I-65, but that's no help when trying to get to the Indiana Tollroad.
Old 03-17-2016, 08:30 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks again to all for the great advice.