Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-14-2010, 06:28 PM   #1

KZ RV Club
Going through Houston??

We are planning our trip to southern Texas again for the winter and are wondering if anyone has driven through Houston, and if so how was it. Just so you know, last year we made the mistake of taking the outer 1960 loop. It was lunchtime and absolutely horrendous! A stop light every block and bumper to bumper traffic in all lanes. How we got out without getting hit is a miracle. We had decided never again, but now are actually looking at either the toll road or taking 59 right through the middle. We would be coming down on 59 anyway. We drive a 38 foot National Tradewinds with a toad on a dolly. The GPS wanted us to do something different but neither of us can remember what "Gabby" as we call the GPS wanted us to do. Otherwise we will make our way down 79 into Rockdale and then south on 77. We have done that before and it's okay. We would plan to hit Houston on a Sunday if we were to go that way. Any ideas??

Deon & Jim
Wisconsin

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-14-2010, 06:35 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Any time between 0900 and 1500 hours, you should do better by sticking to the main freeways, I-10, Hwy 59, I-45. Before 0900, the traffic starts to build about 0600 and is pretty heavy. The evening traffic starts at 1500 and runs to about 1900.

Ken

Old 11-14-2010, 09:44 PM   #3

Have went thru and around and a couple of ways but now I go straight thru reguardless of traffic or time of day
Old 11-14-2010, 10:55 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I think the fact you are going to do it on Sunday is great. Going through Los Angeles on Sunday is great because there are fewer trucks and a bit less traffic. I think you will find Houston the same.

We went through Houston a couple times on I45 and I10 during the week around 10am and it was busy but not any worse than any other big city.

By the way, we named our Tom Tom "Gabby" also. She has a favorite saying:
*** Turn around as soon as possible****
Old 11-15-2010, 07:10 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Just another idea. We often will travel from north Houston area to the valley this way: 59 south to TX Hwy 288 to Angleton. Its nice open freeway on the Texas coastal plains. From Angleton drive south/southwest on TX Hwy 35. Very little traffic on Sunday and you get to see some beautiful areas. You will pass by the only nuclear power plant in Texas and also several Gulf coast seaports. I would suggest you stay on 35 to Port Aransas and take the free 10 minute ferry ride over to Aransas Pass. South on 361 to either South Padre Island pkwy or continue on to Padre Island National Park.

I know this was way more than you asked and if your only interested in getting to the valley as quickly as you can then delete this info and cruise through Houston on 59. We do this trip in a 38 ft, tow dolly, toad. It will probably add 30minutes - 1 hour to your trip. Unless of course you get caught up in the sites and stop along the way for awhile. That happens to us every time. If you decide on this, I can make some cg recommendations also. Safe travels and glad you're coming back for a visit.
Old 11-15-2010, 09:41 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Hwy 59 is in great shape all the way thru to the southwest side. I would stick to major freeways. Do not use the toll road as it will really add a lot of distance to your route and you will have to negotiate long line at toll booths unless you have a easypass for this area. As others have said, avoid 0700-0900 and noon and 1400-1900 on weekdays. Saturday and Sundays are doing very well right now. The trip out 288 is a nice trip if you are looking for scenery. However, stay off 288 durring the above hours it is just as bad or even worse durring southbound eveing traffic. Of course, avoid outer lanes and slow down as you pass thru the downtown area to make your lane changes.
Old 11-15-2010, 05:51 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Just went through Houston on 10 at 10am last Monday and other than a bit crowded it was OK. Just watch out for the Cops with radar guns sitting between the fast lane and carpool lane. There were a bunch of them in the west bound side.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 09:58 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
If I recall correctly we were on the Sam Huston Tollway going to the Space Center and got our mirror scarped going through one of the toll booths. They have real tall cement pillars leading into some of the booths and they are real tight. If I remember correctly you need to stay way to the right.
itdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 07:33 PM   #9

KZ RV Club
Thanks!

We didn't want you to think we haven't been reading all the suggestions. We have been and are still mulling it over. We appreciate all the ideas.

In looking this morning (Sunday) at the cameras which are available to see traffic, there really didn't appear to be much at all. I guess it does depend on when we leave here (Wisconsin). Our plan is to leave on Thursday, the 16th of Dec., spend Friday in St. Louis with our son, hit the road early Saturday and be in the Houston area on Sunday (if we do in fact decide to go that way). If the weather were to be that we can't leave here on Thursday which would throw off the whole Sunday idea, we probably will head diagonally down and over to 77 and then pretty much straight down which is what we've done the last few years. We haven't ever actually gone to Victoria but might do that this year whether or not we go through Houston. It seems eventually we would end up more or less in the same place, with or without going through Houston.

Thanks again for all the ideas. It's fun to see what others do.

Jim & Deon
2003 Tradewinds, Geo Metro on dolly
Old 11-22-2010, 07:01 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Y'all forget my suggestion you're in way to big of a hurry.

I would take a minimum of three days to drive from St Louis to Houston (800+ miles). If leave St Louis at the crack of dawn Saturday and drive til dark thirty Saturday and do the same Sunday, that should put you on the north side of Houston mid to late afternoon Sunday. Not a good place to be nor a good time to be there.

Safe travels and thanks for visiting Texas