Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-09-2013, 07:24 AM   #15

Freightliner Owners Club
Just went from the US to Canada (Calais, ME to St. Stephens, NB) a week and a half ago. Looked at passports and that was it. Did not look at car insurance cards or dog certificates. Just asked if we had any weapons. There were two sets of booths, one used and one not used. We had to swing around the unused set of booths because the clearance was only 12'-3".

On the way back (July 3), we went from Woodstock, NB to Houlton, ME (northern start of I-95). US customs looked at our passports, asked us what we did in Canada, and came on board the RV to check for more passengers. After that we were through. All of 5 minutes. Some of these booths had low clearance so you have to look for the one that has an RV sign (clearance was about 13' - 3")

RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2013, 08:03 AM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
If you have any weapons turn them in because they will fully search your coach especially if your plate is from the southern U.S.

Nonono not good if they find a weapon after you declared that you don't have one, jail time.

Leave your pressure cooker at home also.

Safe travels ,

James

Old 07-09-2013, 02:36 PM   #17

National RV Owners Club
There seems to be a lot of stories about difficulties at the border and this is true in some cases but I being Canadian have had troubles only occasionally going either way but that may be 2 or 3 times out of dozens.
It is true to say that Canadian Customs will be much more vigilant with American travellers in regards to guns. But in fairness, that is because the chances of you "packing" are much more likely than Canadians going either way. Mostly, I have found Canadian Border Services to be professional but not especially cordial. You won't get big smiles and "Welcome to Canada", you will get matter of fact questions and not a lot of sense of humour stuff. Just tell them what they want and if you haven't gone across the border a great deal previously, you will probably get some closer examination. They build a profile over time and the more you go without problems, the less they seem to be concerned. Overall, they are fine with occasional times where they seem to behave inexplicably. Make you sit for awhile, no real explanation stuff, but that may have nothing really to do with you. I and my partner were once detained going into the US for 45 mins, we sat there, then another couple joined us, and another, and another. All about the same age, all about the same appearance. Guess they were looking for someone that day. Eventually just said, you can go, no thank you's, sorry about the delay or what have you's. It's part of the gamble of crossing a boundary and every once in awhile we all get to be "special".
Old 07-09-2013, 05:31 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirpurrcival View Post
There seems to be a lot of stories about difficulties at the border and this is true in some cases but I being Canadian have had troubles only occasionally going either way but that may be 2 or 3 times out of dozens.
It is true to say that Canadian Customs will be much more vigilant with American travellers in regards to guns. But in fairness, that is because the chances of you "packing" are much more likely than Canadians going either way. Mostly, I have found Canadian Border Services to be professional but not especially cordial. You won't get big smiles and "Welcome to Canada", you will get matter of fact questions and not a lot of sense of humour stuff. Just tell them what they want and if you haven't gone across the border a great deal previously, you will probably get some closer examination. They build a profile over time and the more you go without problems, the less they seem to be concerned. Overall, they are fine with occasional times where they seem to behave inexplicably. Make you sit for awhile, no real explanation stuff, but that may have nothing really to do with you. I and my partner were once detained going into the US for 45 mins, we sat there, then another couple joined us, and another, and another. All about the same age, all about the same appearance. Guess they were looking for someone that day. Eventually just said, you can go, no thank you's, sorry about the delay or what have you's. It's part of the gamble of crossing a boundary and every once in awhile we all get to be "special".
Very well said, you hit the nail on the head.
Chuck
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:09 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
It has been 10 years since we crossed and made sure there were no NRA or protected by Smith and Wesson stickers. Had a list of all our booze, wife was a wino, and figured to pay tax, had quit smoking so didn't need to declare smokes. Answered questions as asked Wanted to know if we could handle financial emergencies and the reason for enterin. Let us pass.

Entering from Mexico and Canada, checked our passports and refrigerator. One agent was Customs and one was Agriculture. The last time from Mexico was very strict about dog and vet papers. People try to smuggle in abandoned/sick dogs. Two friends who came in a couple of days earlier had their gas tanks checked to see if it had been modified to conceal contraband.

Different orders, different days. Worse possible scenario is be the RV during a training session.

Don G.
Old 07-10-2013, 10:59 AM   #20

We cross into CA frequently, but every time we re-enter the US in our coach they have to pull us into the special lane and do a search that would not find anything I actually wanted to hide. And, they take their time about it.

Advice, cross at Sarnia/Port Huron they are much nicer there.

Matt
Old 08-11-2013, 03:47 PM   #21

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimooo View Post
If you have any weapons turn them in because they will fully search your coach especially if your plate is from the southern U.S.

Nonono not good if they find a weapon after you declared that you don't have one, jail time.

Leave your pressure cooker at home also.

Safe travels ,

James
What is the procedure to recover your weapon when departing Canada? THANKS.
Old 08-11-2013, 04:04 PM   #22

Official iRV2 Sponsor

We just returned to the US after a full month in Alberta; we crossed at Piegan which is a border crossing in MT mostly used by tourists. There were ~6 cars in line ahead of us; the ICE guy opened the truck/bus lane for us so we didn't have to squeeze through the auto lane. The only questions asked were "any alcohol?" and "any fresh fruit and veggies?" We were through the checkpoint in ~20 minutes including the wait to get through the line.
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 07:37 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post

What is the procedure to recover your weapon when departing Canada? THANKS.
There is no "procedure", if you arrive at the border with firearms that you're not permitted to enter Canada with, they give you 2 choices(if you're lucky), turn around or surrender them for forfeiture and destruction.
Old 08-13-2013, 07:51 PM   #24

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf2u View Post
There is no "procedure", if you arrive at the border with firearms that you're not permitted to enter Canada with, they give you 2 choices(if you're lucky), turn around or surrender them for forfeiture and destruction.
Thanks for that clarification.
I was reading the comment recommending "turn in" to imply they would be returned when I "turned out".
Old 08-14-2013, 06:34 AM   #25

No, they can't/won't take the liability of taking custody of people's firearms. There are however many options for leaving your firearms in the US. Mainly storing them at a gun shop near the border, or if you're going in at one border crossing and coming out at another you can mail your firearm to a gun shop near where you will be.
Old 08-14-2013, 10:36 AM   #26

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
No, they can't/won't take the liability of taking custody of people's firearms. There are however many options for leaving your firearms in the US. Mainly storing them at a gun shop near the border, or if you're going in at one border crossing and coming out at another you can mail your firearm to a gun shop near where you will be.
Yes, that is my problem, not knowing for sure where we're going from Canada. I've arranged with two FFL dealers to ship it back "home" where they will hold it till I return. Thanks again for your input. Ed
Old 08-14-2013, 08:44 PM   #27

Happy to help Ed.

You might want to try a larger gun shop near where you enter Canada and see if they'll hold it until you give them the address or other gun shop to ship it to.
Old 08-14-2013, 09:26 PM   #28

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Happy to help Ed.

You might want to try a larger gun shop near where you enter Canada and see if they'll hold it until you give them the address or other gun shop to ship it to.
What I've learned is that, in the USA, handguns can be shipped ONLY from one FFL holder to another FFL holder. They must swap copies of their FFL prior to shipment and can then use USPS or UPS/FedEx to deliver the package to the FFL who agreed to accept the shipment. Typically, each FFL charges a fee ranging from $20 to $35 for their services. Shipping via USPS Priority Mail, typically 2-3 day transit times, costs less than $20.00 including insurance of $500.00 replacement value, with a tracking number. The PO requires a photocopy of both FFLs, and the packaging cannot contain any info on the outside which would indicate what is inside. Mine is done, and the receiving FFL holder has agreed to hold it till I return. Should have just left it home in the first place.
Ed