Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 01-02-2011, 06:37 PM   #43
Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thumbs up Another Ref for Touring

Came across this website:

Free Road Map RV Route Guides

Looks like a good one.

TW is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2011, 08:31 AM   #44
Ford Super Duty Owner
We made the trip in 2009. Here's a link to our blog of the trip.
I'll pm our itinerary to you as well. You might use it for ideas.

Joe & Loretta Fischer
2015 Thor Citation 29TB
JoeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 07:09 PM   #45
Alaska trip

We made our longest Alaska trip in 05 and left Texas on May15th. ..returned mid Sept. Four months and we feel like we did not see it all. The only thing we can add is that when you get to Fairbanks, don't miss the museum at the University there. It is well worth seeing. Also, instead of driving our toad up the Dalton, we checked around and found a tour company that carried 6 of us all the way to Prudoe Bay, spending the night at ColdFoot, overnight in Prudoe at the "HIlton", which was where the pipeline workers stay. We then were flown back to Fairbanks via one of the out islands for a brief stop.Beautiful trip and worth every penny. For a wonderful fishing experience, hang around Soldotna on the Kenai in July at the height of the salmon run. Stay at the Diamond M Ranch for wonderful Alaska hospitality. This place is so wonderful, we flew back in 07 and spent 2 weeks fishing again. Just be prepaired for cold weather anytime. We were very surprised at the wildfires that are everywhere in the summer causing thick, irritating smoke. It drove us south out of Fairbanks as we decided to leave early because of it. Also, Don't forget the Alaska State Fair which is usually the very last of August. By that time, the cold winds are blowing but it was lots of fun to see those huge vegetables and all the livestock. Be sure to enjoy Hobo Jim..the Alaska Balladeer.
2009 Tiffin Allegro Bus,43'
2008 Ford Explorer, "Sapo"
Datastorm #1755, Partsman
Seabird2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 08:13 PM   #46
There is an Alternative Way North to Alaska (or South from for that matter) that most folks forget about. And that is Vancouver Island. You can get to the Island in one of two ways. You take the Coho Ferry out of Port Angeles, WA., to Victoria. West Bay RV Park is the way to go when staying in Victoria. The other way is cross either at Blaine (Peace Arch) or Sumas Truck crossing and take the BC Ferry out of Tswansen to Duke Point (Nanimo). There is a third way over but it involves 3 ferries (Powell River to Comox). Use the Inland Highway and tour the Island, it's great. Just south of Port Hardy (north end of the Island), take the BC Ferry again over and up to Prince Rupert connecting up with the Yellow Jacket Highway. Our favorite RV Park & Marina on Vancouver Island is Alder Bay Resort just south of Port McNeil on Telegraph Cove Road.
1997 Safari Serengeti M-4040
& 2007 Ford Sports Trac
& 2004 Ford Exploder TOAD's
JohnQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 07:25 AM   #47
Send a message via Yahoo to literod Send a message via Skype™ to literod
Traveling Partner to Alaska

Looking for someone planning to go to Alaska this summer to caravan with.
We plan to cross the border into Canada near Glacier NP around June 15 and return through Vancouver about August 7 but our dates are very flexible. We are traveling in a 2006 Monaco, 40' with a Jeep toad (manual trans but not 4wd). I am 67, my wife is 62. If you are interested in not going it alone, respond to the post or email at literod@gmail.com
Rod Challenger
2006 Monaco Camelot
literod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 05:46 AM   #48
Fleetwood Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
all u's heading to AK in 2011 will be right behind ya's. leaving mich june 18 . can't wait DW worrying about fuel cost.but if we don't spend it kids will.sentng in south fl readng all these good post ( thanks ) and planing are trip.how big of fishing pole & line test.paning for gold were so exited but from mich & back 9700 miles easy fig 10,000 div by 10 mph = 1000 gal X 4 = wow but want to do it .
safe travels bob,linda & missy
new rver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 07:20 AM   #49
Monaco Owners Club
I'm practicing this morning for Alaska, sitting in tombstone AZ and it is snowing. Will be leaving about May 15th for Fairbanks by the 20th of June(taking my time and enjoying the view) from the Puget Sound area and from then on don't know when to return.
See you along the way.

2004 Clss C 31' Winnebgo
OLYLEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 04:39 AM   #50

Monaco Owners Club
Originally Posted by new rver View Post

DW worrying about fuel cost.but if we don't spend it kids will.
Bob & Linda,

Have you ever seen a Hearse in a funeral procession being followed by a Brinks truck ??

My goal is to have a few stamps left inside my empty checkbook so my kids can send all of my debtors letters of my death certificate.

Dr4Film ----- Richard.
2002 Monaco Windsor PBT 40Ft. (R HOME) - 30Ft. 2006 Pace Trailer (R JUNK). Trailer Has 06 VUE (R TOWD) 04 Victory Alen Ness Edition (R RYDE). Full-Timer for 14 Yr's BUT now a Part-Timer. Cummins ISC-350 With Banks Power Pack and Upgraded PRXB PacBrake.
Winter Home in Flagler Beach FL - Now Staying in Dansville NY for the Summer.
Dr4Film is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 05:16 AM   #51
Fleetwood Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
no luggage rack on a hurst. i here ya just have to settle her down.will be headng there.and going slow.didn't buy mh to look at it in drive way they can choke on there profit and like new hampshire license plates say live free or die
Old 02-28-2011, 06:08 AM   #52
As full timers for 4+ years, people often ask where the best place you been (has no answer of course). But I'll say something like

"Well there is the lower 48 and then there is Alaska . . ."

Just go, the hell with the cost of fuel. You will never forget or regret it. We left L48 via northern ID and traveled the Icefields Pkwy up through the Canadian Rockies, incredible . . . Take a ride up the Jasper Tramway and hike to what will seem like the top of the world.

Lots of great ideas posted and I'll try not to repeat too many.

Dawson Creek - walk around and check the murals in town.
Dawson YT - gotta get here somehow, Great museum, Jack London's cottage, wooden sidewalks, Diamond Tooth Gerties, Gold Dredge, Walking tour, Top of the World Hwy, yes
Fairbanks - don't miss the river boat. It takes two minutes to teach a sled dog to run and two years to teach it to stop.
Denali NP
Halibut, fishing and eating it, on the Kenai Peninsula, take the boat tour and see the glaciers from the water plus all kinds of other sights.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2580.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	213.2 KB
ID:	8561   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3424.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	350.8 KB
ID:	8562  

Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3230.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	195.7 KB
ID:	8563   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2908.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	381.4 KB
ID:	8564  

2006 Fleetwood Bounder 35E
Bob and Inga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 08:04 AM   #53
Fleetwood Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
yes we agree. will be asking lots of ?
Old 03-05-2011, 06:32 PM   #54
Wow, did you ever get the responses. All of them very good and I am glad you reversed your route. We did pretty much the same in 09. I would only add that on the Casiar Hyw. when heading south I highly recommend staying at the Boya Lake campground - about 40 miles south of Hwy 1. This lake is crystal clear with a sandy bottom. We rented a boat and paddled around islands, up inlets, saw fish and small animals, most of the time we could see the sandy bottom, which at times must have been 20-30 feet deep. This lake was warm, so we even took a swim. When entering the campground, go to the right and try to get site #1. It is a pull through and just happens to be the best site there. The other thing is to plan your gas stops, sometimes the places were closed because of the slow times we are in. The half full tank is an empty tank is a very good rule. Have fun, drive slow and smell the flowers, listen to the birds and let the sounds of the flowing water drift you into a refreshing sleep.

DCGarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 05:01 AM   #55
Fleetwood Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
taking all this good advise in.can,t wait to go.hope to c ya,s on the road to alaska.
safe travels and like new hampshire plates say live free or die
Old 03-08-2011, 05:33 AM   #56
Check below for some of one of our trips to Alaska.

Outlaw LS '16 JK Ruby '13 TJ '04 Ruby XJ '98-all built for Moab, HD Trike '15, AC Wildcat Trail in garage
Dav5942 is offline   Reply With Quote