Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-14-2010, 09:44 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Going to Alaska 2011

We have decided that the summer of 2011 is going to be a trip to Alaska. We have a 40 ft DP and will be taking our TOAD. The initial plan is to cross in to Canada from Blain Washington in late May travel north along the Casiar highway with stops in Hyder and Skagway finally getting to the Homer in mid June. From there we will head to Fairbanks. From Fairbanks the plan is to head south along the Alaskan Highway finally making it back to Calgary in late Aug and crossing back into the US near Glacier National park by 1 Sept.

So now the questions, is this a good general route, what are the places not to miss and is anyone else planing this type of trips. Look forward to you ideas and suggestions.
itdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2010, 11:29 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
Dave,
I did the Alasks Trip this last summer. I would suggest crossing over at Sumas rather than Blain. I'm told the Casier is VERY rough in the spring/early summer. I talked to an RV'er who did the Casier going north. he was in a 5er. He told me he broke a spring on his truck and that another fellow he had been parked next to had broken a spring on his truck plus a spring on his 5er.
Muncho Lake in northern BC is very beautiful. I would suggest staying a couple of nights there. We also found the road from Haines Junction YK to Haines AK to be breathtaking when we traveled it in very early June. On this hwy are Kathleen Lake and Million Dollar Falls. Both are awsome and both have campgrounds that will accomodate 40' rigs. We were in Homer in Mid-June. We were late for the first salmon run and early for the second. Halibut fishing was great though. At Cantwell, the Parks Hwy is intersected by the Denali Hwy. This road is gravel but well worth driving on in the toad. We went about 50 miles, then turned around as we really did not want to go the whole way. The road was OK, we just did not want to go the whole way. Denali National Park is worth a couple of days as well. If you like to hike, you should consider perhaps spending four days there.
We found frost heave to be especially bad between Destruction Bay YK and Tok AK. Also the Tok Cut off from Tok to about 25 miles from Palmer was pretty rough.
As many others have posted on other threads, get Mike & Terry Church's book on camping in Alaska and the Milepost. Have fun and have the camera ready.
Old 10-15-2010, 09:29 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Dave,

We did an Alaskan caravan in 2006 and it was great. While you may not want to caravan with a tour group, you can get a lot of ideas of what to see and where to go by looking at their itinery. They go places that you wouldn't even know about on your own. The web site that we used was rvalaskatours.com run by Spike Fortier. I can only give him the highest of praises. Check it out, it doesn't cost you a thing! Wish we were going back with you!

Jim & Judy and Maggie the Weaten too!
JIMJAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 09:49 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by itdave View Post
The initial plan is to cross in to Canada from Blain Washington in late May travel north along the Casiar highway with stops in Hyder and Skagway
If your reason for stopping in Hyder is to see the bears, they won't be there until late July or into August. Personally, I'd reverse the trip...start at the beginning in Dawson Creek and take the Cassiar on your way back.
LindaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 10:20 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Dave & Jeri:

Gotta agree w. LindaH re: reversing your direction. Cassier will be better on the way out, and, bear viewing in Hyder likely better.

Would also suggest some things NOT to miss.

1. From Whitehorse on way up, think about heading N. to Dawson City, and then taking Top of the World from Dawson City West to Chicken, and back down to Tok.

2. Gotta visit Fairbanks, just cause ya gotta since your there, but while it's o.k., your very best scenery is back down along the coast, ie., Kenai (Seward, Homer, etc.).

3. Also, visit Valdez for awhile. Wonderful, and do take the day cruise....whales, glaciers, sea otter, puffins, walrus...etc. etc.!!

4. Also, on way out of Alaska, when ya get to Haines Jct. DO take the side trip down to Haines. It's the best kept secret on the trip!! Best bear viewing, beautiful scenery, eagles everywhere, salmon & dolly varden fishing from river side. AND...do think about puttin your rig on the short ferry ride over to Skagway from Haines and continuing your way out from Skagway!! Saves return trip and cost is worth it.

5. After Skagway, on way out, THEN drive from Watson Lake South on the Cassier down to Hyder/Stewart. AND DON'T miss taking your toad up to Salmon Glacier above Hyder on a clear day. MOST spectacular glacier you'll likely visit, and....Hyder is a HOOT!!

Have a GREAT time!!....It's FABULOUS. OH...we did trip on 40ft. pusher, towing a Honda Element w. canoe on top. NO PROBLEMS at all either finding camping, handling routes, or anything.

ENJOY!

Steve & Lynette (and the 3 cats!!!)
Old 10-15-2010, 10:29 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
We took the Alaskan trip 3 years ago. IT was not in a caraven however the route was a caraven route. there were 9 coachs other then the top of the world road it was Fantastic; And i would do it again in a Heartbeat. Oh we have a DP and towed a Chev. Blazer.Left Seattle June 15 Got back to Seattle Sept !6 , All the roads were good . You just slow down. We had several minor problems;; Life is good;;
bachler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 10:35 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Having done it three or four years ago I'm not sure I'd recommend the top of the world highway. Yes, it is very beautiful up there. But if I remember correctly the top of the world highway is/was about 80 miles of rock & washboard road. We did go on up to Eagle many miles north of the top of the world highway - every place up there is beautiful.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 10:43 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ciderdog View Post
Having done it three or four years ago I'm not sure I'd recommend the top of the world highway. Yes, it is very beautiful up there. But if I remember correctly the top of the world highway is/was about 80 miles of rock & washboard road.
The conditions of the Top of the World Highway change from year to year. When we traveled it in 2001, it was pretty rough (so we went slow...took us the entire day to get from the other side of the Yukon River to the first campground after the Yukon/Alaska border). However, friends who went the next year, said the road was in very good shape.

Regardless of the condition, even if you have to go slow, IMO this is a "must see" section of the world.
LindaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 11:03 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Dave I did a Alaska trip this summer also. our route was almost the same as Steve and Lynette. We traveled with 9 rigs our Elks travel club The only bad part of the road was Whitehorse to Tok Destruction Bay (the name applies very well). Frost heaves are the issue most are marked with red contruction flags some are not We traveled in groups of 3 this gave us heads up on the cb for frost heaves .The roads are gravel for most area. The Issue is the big rigs do not slow down they can be seen by the dust cloud .Leaving in May you may find some campgrounds are still closed. In the Yukon road marking are meaning less they drive any way they please Have all your paperwork in order passport,health record for dog,etc especially if you plan to bring a hand gun.one person with our groud had correct paper work the still looked for a second one If u would like more pm me

Joe Ka6bud
ka6bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 07:05 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
All of your suggestion have been great keep them up. With all the comments about problems with Cassier I am looking at reversing the route. Thanks
Old 10-16-2010, 08:43 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
We spent the summer of 2009 in AK. Got to agree with others reverse your trip plans. Hyder is worth the stop to see the bears. We took a tour up the Dalton Hwy to Coldfoot from Fairbanks great experience. Sourdough Campground at Tok and Santaland Campground at North Pole are both great stops. There were 2 couples on our trip so we did a few different things as we could not do much hiking but there are plenty of things to do wherever you are. The Milepost is a must have. We left Iowa the 2nd of May and did not get back till mid Sept. Would have stayed longer but Mother-in-law's 101st birthday was a must get back for.
goldwingerx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 10:53 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
We did Alaska in '09 - what an adventure!
Would also reccommend crossing at Sumas, WA to avoid the I-5 corridor into BC and then head to Dawson Creek and start at the beginning of the Alaska Highway.
Some time in the past, while trying to improve the highway between Destruction Bay and the AK border, they dug too deep and got in to the permafrost. It is still paved but wavy, bumpy in places and has frost heaves. You just slow down and watch the scenery.
Found most of the highways in AK to be generally 50-55 mph roads. Heck! there's no reason to go any faster!
Also, think about visiting Valdez. Take a boat out to the glaciers; watch the bears, eagles and sea lions feed on the salmon in the bay next to the oil terminal.
Northern Rockies Lodge and CG at Muncho Lake has absolutely gorgeous scenery.
In the Yukon and Alaska you can drive all day and never see any utility lines along the roadway. I find that amazing - it really looks like God's country!

FJF
Ding-a-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 05:02 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
We have ''done Alaska three times and I agree with most of the suggestions above except one item ........
It concerns carrying a handgun across the border thru Canada. My advise is DO NOT EVEN TRY IT. To my knowledge there is no legal way to transport a hand gun across Canada. Your best bet is to ship it to Alaska in Pieces and pick it up when you cross the stripe, then, ship it back home when you leave Alaska...
One other thing that was not stressed enough
GO SLOW........... IF YOU HURRY YOU WILL GET SPANKED..... IF YOU DO OVER 50 YOU ARE GONNA MISS THE ''GOOD STUFF''.....
Also,,,,,,, BOONDOCK on the Alcan. Tons of beautiful places to simply pull off and watch Gods world slip by your doorstep and your windshield. There is wonderful fishing in the streams along the road. Dollies, Trout, etc etc all free for the taking to supper. KEEP A CLEAN CAMP AND DONT PUT NOTHING ON THE GROUND BUT FOOTPRINTS AND CAMP FIRE ASHES. LEAVE IT AS YOU FIND IT OR YOU WILL BREAK A FAN BELT AND HAVE THREE FLAT TIRES AND GET UPSET STOMACH AND YOUR WATER PUMP WILL STOP WORKING AND YOUR BATHROOM WILL STOP UP AND OTHER REALLY BAD THINGS WILL HAPPEN TO YOU....

If you can get a boat to Muncho Lake you can catch ''cutthroat'' trout almost as long as your arm. Take yellow ''five of diamonds'' lures and troal dead slow or go up to the river inlet and fish the fast water. DO NOT PICK UP FIRE WOOD AT MUNCHO LAKE. The park host sells it and it pisses him off if you scrounge wood ....................

If I can get ''healthy'' again this coming spring/summer me and Willa are going to do one more Alaska turn around for about four months.

Enjoy the world just like God made it except it has a road thru it now ....

God bless our troops and bring them home safe and soon
COME NOV 11 THERE WILL BE A VET HUGGING CONTEST FOR THEIR SERVICE TO THIS NATION ...... HUG A VET AND WIN A PRIZE.....

Nuff said for now .......
Seajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 10:03 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Well you guys have changed my mind about roads going north and south. Looks like we will now enter Canada at Sumas, WA. head north to Prince George then up to Dawson Creek. From there we will continue on to Fairbanks, the only question now is should we add 120 miles to the trip go over the Top of the World highway. At Fairbanks we will start south going to Anchorage, Homer, Valdez, Skagway, Stewart then back to Prince George. Since we will be ending the trip in Sedona AZ, we will come back into the US via rt 93 near Glacier National park. Thanks again for all the input I guess now we need to look at the place along the way we don't want to miss. So keep the suggestion coming especially thoughts about going on the Top of the World highway.