Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-12-2005, 12:08 PM   #1

My wife and I are going to Florida at the end of January. AAA has routed us through I81 in Scaanton Pa to I77 in Virgina I26 in Columbia SC to I95. This route takes me west of Skyline drive.

Has anyone traveled this route in the winter? I am driving a 35 foot class A and towing. I am worried about this route in bad weather. Also are there enough motels on this route? The rig is winterized and I don't plan on using it until we get to Fla.

Pete B is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2005, 12:08 PM   #2

My wife and I are going to Florida at the end of January. AAA has routed us through I81 in Scaanton Pa to I77 in Virgina I26 in Columbia SC to I95. This route takes me west of Skyline drive.

Has anyone traveled this route in the winter? I am driving a 35 foot class A and towing. I am worried about this route in bad weather. Also are there enough motels on this route? The rig is winterized and I don't plan on using it until we get to Fla.

Pete B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 02:40 AM   #3

If you have some leeway on your departure date, then I81 is great because you avoid the I95 traffic. I81 is inland and mountainous so if you leave during stormy weather it could be bad, although so can I95. It's usually a last minute decision for us and we tend to choose I95 over I81 most of the time.

Paul
Old 01-13-2005, 05:22 AM   #4

I have travled this route many times in all weather. You need to watch the weather in PA, VA and northern NC you can run into ice and snow on this route. You will also have some mountains in southern VA. where I85 and I77 intersect and also on I77 into NC.

As for your question on motels, there are several along this route.
Old 01-13-2005, 07:31 AM   #5

Pete B:
We've gone South from Ontario for the past six years and by simply looking for a 3 day "good weather" window have avoided having to drive in snow or ice. If we did get into weather, we are quite prepared to stop and wait it out. We refuse to travel when roads are icy or snow covered.

As to motel stays, we do not use motels. Like yours, our rig is winterised and stays that way till we get to Georgia. We simply carry two or three gallon jugs of water for cooking, washing and flushing and that works great gor us. Incidently, we pull a fiver so you would have it even easier in your motorhome. Just have a full load of propane when you leave. In fact we use WallMarts and Flying J's as campgrounds open at that time are rare.

As to motels, the answer is yes, you'll find them along your proposed route.

As to the route chosen, in the winter months I would be temted to get right down I91 to I95 and put up with the traffic to avoid travel in the Apalachian foothills!! But thta's just my thoughts.

Whatever you decide, have a safe and enjoyable trip.

2006 32' Sunny Brook
rehcuobbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 08:48 AM   #6

Please check the Virginia Department of Highways road condition phone number at 1-800-367-ROAD (7623). I77 was closed on 01/21/05 due to frozen fog, which caused numerous accidents.
The closure was near mile marker 8, Fancy Gap Mountain.