Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-29-2011, 03:42 PM   #1

Smile "going to the sun highway"

Hello fellow RVers,
Has anyone traveled the GOING TO THE SUN HIGHWAY IN Glacier National Park in a large Class A motorhome, plus towing a toad? I have read the Website information on the highway and it is not encouraging to do so.
Any thoughts? Appreciate.
JB
JBDISCOVERY is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2011, 04:29 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Vehicle size restrictions are 21' long, bumper to bumper and 8' wide including mirrors. Driving in your toad would be OK.
bigskymt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 04:40 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Hi JBDISCOVERY,
Over 21' total length it is not allowed. Pick your side to stay on (East or West) and take your toad anywhere in the park. No toad, there are shuttles that can take you over the GTS Road. There are numerous companies that can take you on just about any adventure, in the park, that is to your liking.

I like the east side for making a base camp.

The park web site is at http://www.nps.gov/glac/index.htm
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 04:44 PM   #4

The size restriction is not "just a guideline". A few years ago I watched a 25 foot class c rip its side open on the rock wall coming around a corner. The road is narrow and unforgiving. It is also a great drive and the hikes up at the top are breath taking. I would camp on one side of the park and drive up and over in the toad. If you want to camp on the other side then take the long way around out side of the park.

Mike
mikelcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 04:53 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
We like West Glacier, with trips to Kalispell and Eureka, then to Canada. Flathead lake is beautiful, and if you travel in August, maybe the Huckleberries will be in. The Flathead Cherries are the best we've ever had. It's a great trip. Take the tour and enjoy the scenery. The road is very demanding in the highest passes, and the driver won't take in the view like the passengers will.
Old 05-29-2011, 05:45 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
we came in on the west side, Although we were coming from Ga., stopped at Missoula and stayed at Jim and Mary's campground.(fantastic) We then went to Columbia Falls and stayed at Columbia Falls RV park.(very nice) Columbia Falls is close to Apgar. This is a nice trip. My cousin came in from St. Marys and said they wished they had come with us.
ga traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 05:59 PM   #7
bnb1313@aol.com

Monaco Owners Club
Anyone who would consider taking anything but a passenger car or a pickup over the GTS Hiway isn't thinking clearly. Even pickup mounted campers pose a real problem because of the rock overhangs close to the roadway. I can second Jim and Mary's campground, very nice. Snow depth reports are indicating over 20' of snow at the top so it might be late June before the roads open this year. Lots of flooding in eastern Montana now so call ahead for travel restrictions. I15 and I90 have both been closed in eastern Motana off and on due to flooding so it's a wet spring here.
BigSkyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 06:33 PM   #8

Thanks to all.
Your advise and information will make our trip much better.
JB
JBDISCOVERY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 07:20 PM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by dill View Post
Flathead lake is beautiful, and if you travel in August, maybe the Huckleberries will be in. The Flathead Cherries are the best we've ever had.
I spent my youth in Montana.

Humans are not the only mammals that enjoy Huckleberries.

Be very careful when picking Huckleberries.

You are NOT at the top of the food chain where Huckleberries grow.

Take care,
Stu
Old 05-29-2011, 08:55 PM   #10

I remember my dad white knuckling that road in the mid sixties in a pickup and tc. The truck had no power steering or power brakes, just a 283 and three in the tree. That length restriction is there for good reason.
RoyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 02:32 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have ''done'' G.T.t.S. highway in Glacier many times. The best two times were on the back of a motorcycle. UNBELIEVABLE BEAUTY. Stop on Logan Pass and see the Mt. goats. Find a place and write your name in the snow.....

Remember our fallen Veterans today.....
Seajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 08:55 AM   #12

I was up there yesterday 5/31 and the road is not open all the way. 16 miles from the west side to Avalanche Creek and on the east side it is open to Jackson Glacier overlook. But still a very beautiful ride and worth the time.
mga60tw is offline   Reply With Quote