Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 02-26-2014, 10:14 AM   #1
Ford Super Duty Owner
Jayco Owners Club
Going to Upper Peninsula in Michigan

During July and August we are planning to travel to the UP in a 28' Class C with no toad. We will be leaving from Long Island, NY. We can stay between one and two weeks. I have a few questions. 1) What would be a good way to get there? We will go through NYC to get off Long Island. Should we go straight north and approach the UP from Canada or go north thru MI or WI? If MI, what are some good roads to take? 2) Where are some good places to camp and things to see? I have asked for info from MI tourism and the info I've received so far isn't about the UP. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Also should reservations be made for CG in the UP? Thanks.

2016 Jayco Greyhawk 29MV
LI-Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2014, 10:40 AM   #2
Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I live just South of the UP. I travel to NY thru Canada, but cross @ Port Huron/Leamington and @ Niagara Falls. You could reverse that and when you get into MI start North. Freeways all the way if you want to travel fast. I would suggest US 23 up the Lake Huron shore. It will add about 3 or 4 hours to your travel time.
When in the UP you can visit over 100 waterfalls, some are small and some are a good hike. Also many Lighthouses on Lake Superior and Lake Michigan.
From the town of Paradise you will a very short drive to Whitefish Point Lighthouse and Museum. This is where Gordon Lightfoot song The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzegerald is from. Also very close by are the Tahquamenon Falls.
Pictured Rocks Boat tours out of Munising is a real treat if the weather is good.
A boat tour of the Soo locks in Sault Ste. Marie is fun. By the way that Sault is pronounced Soo.
Also the names Mackinaw and Mackinac are bothe pronounced Mackinaw.

"96" HR Navigator, 38' no slides, Cummins, Allison
next stop
t55watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 10:52 AM   #3

If you google "visit upper michigan" you will have much to choose from.

Fort Wilkins, Copper Harbor, and: http://www.exploringthenorth.com/porkiesum/intro.html
Dave and Nola, RVM1
The Journey is Our Destination!

CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 11:19 AM   #4
Yes, in the summer reservations are almost required. You might get lucky but July/Aug are prime vacation times. Make them as soon as possible.

Taq Falls has several nice campgrounds, varying in size and hookups. The middle of the UP has several campgrounds too. Less on the far NW but some are there. Without a toad you'll have to pick and choose as few are within walking distance of any of the "sights". Of course almost all are in woods/forests and many on lakes so if that's your goal you'll find many to chose from. Some have full utilities, some less. There are also some state and local parks in the larger towns.

Here's just a few links to some of our favorite campgrounds, but again, without a toad may not work for you...

Tahquamenon Lower Falls-Modern Detail

Michigamme Shores Campground

Mackinaw Mill Creek Camping in Mackinaw City, Michigan

Log Cabin Resort & Campground

and one of many links for tourism..

Upper Peninsula Michigan | UP Michigan Travel - UP Travel

Good luck... you'll love it up there.
Ed & Joie
2004 Vectra 40KD
Freightliner Chassis and Cummins ISC
emiddleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 11:28 AM   #5
A couple of places I like are Mackinaw Island and Drummond Island. Camping on Drummond is a county park.

drummondislandchamber.com - Drummond Island Lodging

Plenty of camping spots at Mackinaw City for visiting that area.
2005 Country Coach 40 foot Inspire 330
HoleInOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 11:37 AM   #6
Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If your into History

I recommend a 1/2 day visit here on your way to the U.P. . Very well done re-enactments. It was a treat when our son was younger. We had a ball.

Colonial Fort Michilimackinac

Colonial Fort Michilimackinac - Mackinaw City, Michigan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	michilimackinac01.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	57000  
2003 Winnebago WFG33V Adventurer - 8.1 Gas, Workhorse Chassis - Medium Titanium Metalic

"For GOD'S sake, be human"
Tomtall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 11:39 AM   #7
This has nothing to do with your post, really, but it may be helpful.

Have spent many moons in the UP over the years. In spite of the beauty of the place, one of the things can become a major irritant is....the Black Fly. When one is out in the woods or near any body of water, these things can get totally out of control. Their bites can be extremely painful. Their presence can diminish as the Summer wears on, but July, as I recall, is still a time of caution.

A product that we used with amazing succes was Avon's Skin So Soft. It will make your skin soft, and also smells pretty good.....even on a guy!! And the black flies hate it....the stuff really works. Not sure if Avon still makes it, but it may be worth getting some if they do.

FWIW. BTW, lots of GREAT posts above re things to do see in the UP.. It is really a neat place. Have fun!
2003 Fleetwood Revolution DP
HeapBigEngin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 12:28 PM   #8
UP Black flies aren't that bad... usually takes 6 or 7 to carry off a small dog . Don't try shooting them with a .22 though; it just annoys them.

Seriously, should be ok late July and Aug, but as Heap said, they can be quite annoying earlier in the season. And since most of the campgrounds are near lakes/woods, skeeters are always present.

Good tip on the Avon stuff.... I'll have to try it. Thanks.
Ed & Joie
2004 Vectra 40KD
Freightliner Chassis and Cummins ISC
emiddleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 01:03 PM   #9
I'd get there as quickly as possible: I-280 West to I-80 West to I-75 North. Then once in the UP the backbone highways to disperse you to all the fun are US-2, MI-28, US-41, and US-141.

MI-123 will take you to Tahquamenon Falls from I-75. Don't forget the Keweenaw Peninsula.
2013 Leisure Travel Vans Unity U24MB, 635 watts solar, 440 AH batteries, 2000 watt inverter, Koni struts and shocks, Hellwig rear anti-swaybar, SumoSprings front and back, 2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox baseplates, Aladdin towbar and Patriot
jackfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 01:39 PM   #10
Monaco Owners Club
Can you please specify which Avon Skin so Soft product you are referring to? They have several such as bath oil, body oil, bug repellant, bug repellant with sunscreen. Ahh overselection!!

Stuart & Leslie
08 Holiday Ramb Navigator, 45 ft, Cummins ISX 600, 2014 Cherokee Limited, Cashmere. Roadmaster Sterling, SMI Airforceone. Full-timing since May 2014
S-n-L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 02:02 PM   #11
Here is a video on Michigan UP State Parks

Great Getaways 10015 "State Parks of Michigan's Upper Peninsula" - YouTube

Wonderful place to vacation
2010 Allegro RED 36 QSA
GMC Envoy 4x4
SW Michigan to Alaska in 2015
okgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 02:20 PM   #12
Things not mentioned in previous posts

Good eating in the UP ... pasties in almost every bakery (get several to take with you to bake in your campsite) ... and great breakfast rolls at a roadside restaurant in L'Anse

Great campground ... McClain State Park right on the shore of Lake Superior ...

Interesting Mining Museum ... Ishpeming

Waterfalls ... on the Black River from Ramsey (near Ironwood) to Lake Superior (the first waterfall is near the maintenance shop for Black Jack ski hill)
2004 Winnebago Journey 39W - 2012 Buick Enclave
Present @home Home: Oshkosh, WI
We call our rig "Ernie the Journey"

skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 02:37 PM   #13
Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Many good suggestions already. I would suggest Aune Osburn camprgound in Sault Ste. Marie. It is on the St. Mary's river and you get to watch ore freighters as they enter and leave the Soo Locks. You can route yourself around the south and east side of the city. Downtown there are some bridges that may be a problem depending on your height.

If you decide to go to Mackinac Island, cross the Mackinac Bridge and stay at one of the campgounds on the St. Ignace side. Most offer shuttle service to the ferries. You can't take your RV to the island. They do not allow motorized vehicles.
Brad & Bonnie
2007 Monaco LaPalma 36DBD
Bfmorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 06:59 PM   #14
Originally Posted by S-n-L View Post
Can you please specify which Avon Skin so Soft product you are referring to? They have several such as bath oil, body oil, bug repellant, bug repellant with sunscreen. Ahh overselection!!

Great question, Leslie. Been quite a few years ago, so I don't remember for sure. My former wife was an "Avon Lady", so she would be sure we had the "stuff" on board when we would go up there. I don't recall them even offering a bug repellant at that time. The stuff was in a plastic bottle and was very oily....that's for sure.

I am pretty sure it was the bath oil since that stuff would probably be more resistant to washing off than maybe the others and, at the time, it just seemed odd to me putting bath oil on in the middle of the day when laying brick and doing concrete. Much of the time spent there over the years was helping build and improve my former FIL's home some 20 miles out of Munising. That included a lot of outside work in the sun, with the resulting...uhmmmm..."wetness". The stuff did not falter. A reapplication every few hours and, presto......no black flies. And they were fierce at times up there! Even worked well on the skeeters, as I recall. I just wish I could remember for sure....and, after all these years, I ain't calling the X to find out!! Hee-hee.....

Hope this helps!

2003 Fleetwood Revolution DP
HeapBigEngin is offline   Reply With Quote