Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-12-2015, 07:36 AM   #1
WDW

Going west in '16

I sure could use some guidance in planning a western trip. We will be buying the Mt Directory but first hand experience beats computer graphics!

Assuming we're on I90 around Buffalo WY enroute Cody, would you get off at Buffalo on Rt 16 (w?) to 20 north to 14 w in to Cody?

We're driving a 32' C with a toad.

We're looking at Cody as our base camp for exploring Yellowstone.

From Cody we think we would go north to I 94 (what routes do you suggest) in order to make our way over to Roosevelt NP. We understand it's really nice and under appreciated.

Thank you!

Taking in the sights ...where my Trolley travels. '15 Jayco Greyhawk 31FK.

WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2015, 08:11 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDW View Post
I sure could use some guidance in planning a western trip. We will be buying the Mt Directory but first hand experience beats computer graphics!

Assuming we're on I90 around Buffalo WY enroute Cody, would you get off at Buffalo on Rt 16 (w?) to 20 north to 14 w in to Cody?

We're driving a 32' C with a toad.

We're looking at Cody as our base camp for exploring Yellowstone.

From Cody we think we would go north to I 94 (what routes do you suggest) in order to make our way over to Roosevelt NP. We understand it's really nice and under appreciated.

Thank you!

Hwy 16 out of Buffalo is a great route. There is a major pull from Buffalo up to the Powder River Pass at 9700'. It's a good two lane road with several 3 lane stretches. There is a big "pull out" at the top where over night parking is allowed. Exercise care on the descent.

Cody and the Buffalo Bill complex are worth spending several days but it's to far from Yellowstone to be a base. I would do the Chief Joseph Hwy and the Beartooth Hwy as a loop while in Cody and then move either into the park at Fishing Bridge or Bridge Bay. If you want a commercial park, go through Yellowstone to West Yellowstone. Much easier drive to explore than from Cody. Yellowstone is a really big park and with summer traffic it will take many days to see most of it.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07

Steve Ownby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 08:43 AM   #3
WDW

Steve

Thank you for your reply. How would you go from Cody to West Yellowstone ? Is US 14 W to US 16/20 west the best route? Does that put you on park routes ?

Old 08-12-2015, 08:46 AM   #4

An article from RVtechmag.com

http://rvtechmag.com/travel/72_buffalo.php?pg=all

We plan on being in this area towards the end of September.
Magic Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 08:57 AM   #5

There are three reasonable, and one very rugged (as in unpaved) routes across the Bighorn Mts. U.S. 16 is the easiest drive, but is also the least scenic IMO. I used it once, but won't do it again.

U.S 14 (north of Sheridan) Is steeper, but far more interesting. If you go this way, be sure to stop at the Shell Canyon Visitor center. The short walk to Shell Falls is worth the time.

My favorite route is U.S. 14 and U.S. 14A. Be aware that the descent on 14A is quite steep, but very doable if you take it nice and slow. If you go this way, a little known gem is the Bighorn Canyon National Recreation Area / Pryor Mountain Wild Horse Refuge, just east of Lovell. The scenery is spectacular, and wild horses and bighorn sheep are almost always seen right along the road. As a bonus, the campground is free.

Unless somebody wants to try a real adventure, I will omit describing the rugged route.

Joel
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	14a.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	102985   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bighorn Canyon NRA.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	102986  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Sheep.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	102987  
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 09:02 AM   #6

Quote:
Steve

Thank you for your reply. How would you go from Cody to West Yellowstone ? Is US 14 W to US 16/20 west the best route? Does that put you on park routes ?

Yes. US14 west out of Cody takes you directly into the park. You enter Yellowstone through the east gate and then you are on park roads all the way to West Yellowstone. US191 intersects just past the Fishing Bridge area and you follow that out to West Yellowstone. If you are pretty sure of your dates, you should try to reserve at Fishing Bridge. It's a parking lot with hook ups but the location is great for seeing Yellowstone.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 09:38 AM   #7
WDW

Folks I appreciate any and all advise. We just did 27 days here on the east cost from NY to FL. I've never driven west of Wisconsin and traveling with a MH is still new to us. Your assistance and those who've yet to chime in is deeply appreciated!

Old 08-12-2015, 12:50 PM   #8

WDW,
Just did the Cody thing in May. My suggestion is go W. from Cody on 14/16/20 toward Yellowstone. We stayed at the Yellowstone Valley Inn and RV park(passport america park) it is about 30 miles from the E. entrance.
In my opinion the East side of Yellowstone is by far the most scenic. This location also provides good access to both Cody and the park.
Heading back to I 90, I took WY 120 n. to MT 72 and then US 350 at Bridger to 90. Excellent Rd. easy drive and wonderful views.

Al Sawyer
'05 Mt. Aire
Old 08-12-2015, 01:32 PM   #9

Having been to Yellowstone many times along with Cody, I would highly advise not staying in the Cody area to tour Yellowstone. It's much too far. A couple nights in Cody is worthwhile, especially to tour the awesome Cody Museum. It's top class.

Here's the official Yellowstone site which will give you lots of information, including a good park map and campground information.

If you want full hookups, Fishing Bridge RV inside the park itself is the best place to stay.

Yellowstone National Park (U.S. National Park Service)

You'll definitely want to tour Grand Teton Nat'l Park, also and it's adjacent to Yellowstone. However, again, don't try to do both parks from one location. Move into the Tetons. They are both completely different in looks and activities.

Again, if you want full hookups, Colter Bay RV inside the park is the place. There are also two very nice dry campgrounds inside the park of 300 non-reservable sites each which rarely full. Leave Yellowstone early morning and head to one of them and you'll definitely get a site. They are Colter Bay and Gros Ventre campgrounds.

The park, along with all national parks, has an excellent web site to explore.

http://www.nps.gov/grte/index.htm

Have fun planning your trip!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 09:46 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
...traveling with a MH is still new to us.
I would avoid hwy 14A while traveling thru the Bighorns. Hwy 14 is a good, scenic road but 14A is too twisty to be enjoyable in/on anything but a car or motorcycle. Then, it's a real blast. Not that it can't be done in a motorhome but I'd bet you will think twice before doing it a 2nd time.
Old 08-15-2015, 10:14 PM   #11

We're in Cody now and will be moving to Buffalo Bill State Park (North Fork) tomorrow. I agree that Cody is really too far from Yellowstone to be a base camp but it's a GREAT place to visit. The museum is top notch and worth at least a day. As previously mentioned Beartooth Hwy & Chief Joseph Byway really should not be missed and it's a day drive from Cody. I'm assuming you're towing. If not, cross those off your list!

If you want to stay in the park, reserve the dates early or be prepared to adjust your time and maybe miss out on reservations all together. Fishing Bridge has small cramped sites but does have electric. It's fairly centrally located but traffic is horrendous and if there is wildlife near the road, be prepared for long delays.

West Yellowstone has several options for RV parks. We've stayed at Grizzly so can recommend it but I understand there are several other RV parks that are nice as well.

Theo Roosevelt is a great park! We camped in the park and campsites then were walk in only. I think I read somewhere that they've gone to reservations for at least some sites. We had buffalo and a wild horse meander through our camp several times. Be warned that Medora, ND isn't a big town and grocery choices are pretty slim! Prices reflect that too.

Have fun planning!

traveling in a 2011 Ventana 3433!
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote