Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-11-2013, 11:08 AM   #1

Good gas stops near Mandeville LA and Columbus TX

Hi,
Looking for good gas stops for a Class A gasser motorhome w/towd. Specific areas are on I-12 around Mandeville, LA, and on I-10 near Columbus, TX. A gas station right off the interstate with easy in/out for the rig to the gasoline pumps would be ideal. We're staying at the Walmarts in Picayune, MS and Sealy, TX. Both have gas stations so if anyone knows whether we could use them please advise. But, I've found many Walmart gas facilities are not Class A friendly so need alternatives if we can't get gas at these Walmarts.
Not familiar with these locations so any recommendations will be very much appreciated.

Thanks,
Jim
seadogjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-11-2013, 11:38 AM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
We use mostly Flying J. The RV islands have both gas and diesel. We have used the car island when we had access to the outside of the end island. Valero stations are normally workable for RVs, but you do have to eyeball them before pulling in. ...not very familiar with that specific area. We have used Walmart/Murphy a time or two but we did block a good bit of the driveway!
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 11:46 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I use 4 apps when traveling in figuring out where to stop for gas/diesel. In order of what I check for prices since that determines where we stop:
My DAT Trucker Services - Trucker Apps: My DAT Trucker Services | CDLLife
Gas Buddy - GasBuddy.com - GasBuddy Mobile Applications
Love's - Love's Connect
Pilot/Flying J - Pilot Flying J

We are in a 40ft RV and right now we are still pulling a 20ft trailer so with tongue and stuff that is 65ft total. Thom's driven all sizes of vehicles and is comfortable in places that are smaller then others. Thou when in the RV we do prefer truck stops most of the time, but we have taken the rig thru small mom and pop places. If you are not comfortable in small places then by all means go for the larger places.
Old 12-11-2013, 11:52 AM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
If you wish to plot out your gas stops, estimate how far before your next fill up or two. Gas Buddy can give you prices, then use Google Maps and Street View to scope them out. Go to Mickey D's or some other place for free WIFI if you don't want to burn up phone data. I personally don't plan to that degree, but the resources are certainly available!

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 12:06 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

We drive the I-10 corridor both East and West from Houston and seldom have had any problem finding a suitable gas station for our Bounder towing a Jeep. I can't recall what's around Mandeville, but there are several possibilities at Hammond.

Traveling westbound toward Columbus, there are several truck stops around Katy. At the Pederson Road exit there is a large Love's on the westbound side; this is about 40 miles east of Columbus.
Old 12-12-2013, 12:55 PM   #6

south side of the freeway in Sealy Tx near the old Wal-Mart is a station, believe it was
Exxon. Easy in and out, back side for trucks and RVs
Salad Bowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 01:07 PM   #7

You might try the app on iPhone IEXIT as it has a lot of information at the various exit that you questioned. I just used it along with streets & trip, google earth &Iexit and found all the information I needed. We measure 65' combined RV & Truck towed. Good luck
Old 12-15-2013, 03:36 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
recommend you pass up the Loves just west of Katy. I tried to gas up my 35' Itasca while my GMC Terrain was attached. The gas pumps couldn't handle the length. We had to unhook, what a pain. And the truck lanes are all diesel. Sorry don't have a better suggestion. Very interested in the other ideas though as this is a real problem for larger gasser class A's while toad is attached.
eggman1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 05:52 PM   #9

Jim,

I have a suggestion for you. It only works well if you are carrying wire (old expression for having internet access) or plan stop with hot spots. Load Google Earth. When planning a stop, look at the station from above. If you have doubts, go to Street view.

Oh, and you can save several dollars a tank (maybe 10) if you work GasBuddy.

We rarely tow and I don't miss it at all.
Old 12-15-2013, 10:23 PM   #10

Thanks to all for the advice. Agree that Love's(and Pilot's) often don't have room enough for a 35ft moho w/towd so try to avoid them. Flying J's with RV lanes work fairly well, but you still have to be careful there too and FJ's can be scarace in some areas. The Next Exit book is useful, large gas stations adequate for big RV's are shown in red. I also use Google Maps with street view to look at a gas station or Wal-Mart before going in to them.
I'd be interested in hearing from anyone's experience with gas stations at Wal-Marts. I've seen some that are OK for a large gas moho w/towd and others that are not. Does anyone use WM gas stations regularly?

Thanks,
Jim
seadogjim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas