Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-19-2016, 06:53 AM   #1

Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Good Route to Maine

With out interstates..

Tennessee I guess could be a starting point.
Coming from Texas

Thanks for your help

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2016, 06:59 AM   #2

Where are you leaving from?

Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 07:07 AM   #3

So far we have done about half of route 1 up from the south. Slower but much more fun than the interstates that we avoid as much as is reasonable.
Old 04-19-2016, 07:08 AM   #4

Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
can't believe I missed that part lol

Tennessee I guess could be a starting point.
Coming from Texas, but really open on that
Old 04-19-2016, 07:11 AM   #5

Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
So far we have done about half of route 1 up from the south. Slower but much more fun than the interstates that we avoid as much as is reasonable.
Is that hwy number?
Old 04-19-2016, 12:54 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumble Weed View Post
Is that hwy number?
Yes Hwy 1 you can take it all the way to Canada. What size rig do you have? Were in Tennessee will you be starting from? and were will you be ending your trip. We need more info to help you out.
Pete1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 03:17 PM   #7

I live in Southern Maine and highly suggest you consider using Interstate 95 once you hit the Mass/NH border. Route 1 in the summer time is bumper to bumper and can take up to two hours to go from the NH border to Wells, ME. That same amount of time on I95 will get you to Augusta. As a general observation, once you hit Portland, ME, alternate routes should not be a problem. The turnpikes in NH and ME are only three lanes and with the exception of three day weekends are not overly crowded. Feel free to PM me if you want to discuss routes or options.

Neverhome
Old 04-19-2016, 03:44 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete1985 View Post
Yes Hwy 1 you can take it all the way to Canada. What size rig do you have? Were in Tennessee will you be starting from? and were will you be ending your trip. We need more info to help you out.
I don't think US Route 1 goes to Tennessee. It runs up and down the east coast. Besides, that would be a long way to go on Route 1. You may set a world's record for traffic lights.
Old 04-20-2016, 06:52 AM   #9

I'm in Kentucky now running the interstates to home in upstate NY. I'll leave it to the locals for Kentucky and Ohio.

The real question is what do you want to do? I like Route 1 when I am not in a hurry and want things to see and do. No hurry maybe 100 mile days. If I want distance then do the super slabs.

Once you hit the lake Erie shore area you can pick up US Rt-20 along the shore then east through NY. Depending where you want to stop or what you want to do there are other options across the state to Albany. From Albany pick up Rt 9 across southern Vermont then head up through New Hampshire to Maine.
Old 04-27-2016, 12:12 PM   #10

Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Sorry I was slow getting back to my topic
Most days we drive a hour to 2 hours usually we move a day or two then stay a week depends what is in the area..

I like to take it slow don't want a slab if I can avoid it..
Want to see other states in the area also.

TN was basically a starting point instead of saying RGV south Texas.

I have a 38 foot rig.
Can't go into Canada no passport as of yet. Going a long Lake sounds great.

Thanks for your help
Old 04-28-2016, 06:51 AM   #11

Once you get east of Cleveland Routes 5 and 20 parallel I-90 along the Lake Erie shore. 5 or 20 will be better road depending on where you are. The KOA in Westfield, NY was not bad. NY prices. I'd stop again.

The highways diverge around Buffalo. If you want to go to Niagara Falls you can see quite a bit without going into Canada. That includes boat rides and cave tours. Just pick a route north that you like. The expressways might be worth it to get around the city. It depends on what you want.

From the Falls I would take 31 to Lockport and check out the locks on the Erie Canal.

If you want to skip the falls try Rt 20 across the west end of the state. Do some day tripping down the finger lakes.

Around Syracuse you can either head north along L Ontario and up the St Lawrence river valley the cross into VT and head across VT, NH and ME or you can follow the Erie Canal to Albany then cross into Southern VT then NH and ME. There are more options if interested. I also assume you are coming back so over one way back another makes sense. If you come up with a route or ideas post and somebody will probably have more information.