Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-23-2015, 04:22 PM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
I actually used GS's trip planner a lot up until recently, liked being able to see the parks in proximity of my route...

but lately it's developed some bugs in the software and has become almost unusable....
Same here. Really hard to use it...keep clicking and nothing happens.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2015, 04:41 PM   #16

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post
Same here. Really hard to use it...keep clicking and nothing happens.
If you're using IE you might want to try another browser.

I've experienced problems using it with Internet Explorer, but it works fine using Chrome.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 09:11 PM   #17

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Have you found it to be accurate on low clearances?
So far it has, we mostly travel the back roads and when I modify the route it's notified me several times. You do need to zoom in very closely to the warning icon because sometimes it's actually on a side road, not on the actual road you selected.
Rotis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 05:45 PM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobGed View Post
If you're using IE you might want to try another browser.

I've experienced problems using it with Internet Explorer, but it works fine using Chrome.
Thanks, I'll try a different one.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 04:32 PM   #19

Ford Super Duty Owner
We've used GS for about 28000 miles now. Its a great tool but definitely not the only one. When we plan, we almost always start with GS but then add to the route after using other resources like AllStays or RVParkReviews. GS is very quick and easy, usually gives the routes we should stay away from and is flexible for options like copying to another route.

Often while traveling, I will use the entire trip and then delete the portions we've already traveled.

bigben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 10:24 AM   #20

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My family and I recently completed an aggressive 4,500-mile 2-week trip out west and back last month in our older gas Class A. I used GS to plan the trip then input it into Google for sharing and navigation.

For calculating realistic drive times, what worked best for me was adding 10 mins for every hour of driving Google maps said I had remaining. For example if Google Maps said, I had a 6 hr drive ahead of me. I simply planned for 7hr drive (6*10 = 60 extra minutes.)

Your results and other’s opinion may vary. Safe travels!
Campbell5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 10:38 AM   #21

Freightliner Owners Club
Agree with adding 10 min to the Google Maps estimated time with the caveat that if traveling with a dog (at least mine), add an additional 5 to 10 minutes for pit stops.
MJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 07:54 AM   #22

The GS Trip Planner and Google Maps would be much improved if they simply allowed you to plug in your personal driving style.
Years of OTR trucking show that 50 miles per hour is a pretty good average speed for interstate driving that includes time for breaks and fuel stops.
The RV Trip Planner seems to let you add that info. I don't know why the GS program doesn't.
We plan to travel from Florida to Arizona and back in February and Dallas TX and back for the granddaughter's graduation in June so I'm considering the RV Trip Planner for at least one year to see how it all works out.
We usually only stay about every 3rd night at an RV park. The other nights are rest areas, truck stops, or Walmarts.
I would really like to hear more from those who've had this program for awhile.
JohnH12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 09:15 AM   #23

I’m fairly new at this, but we’ve used GS Trip Planner and RV Trip Wizard.

The big advantage I see with GS Trip Planner is that you can limit it to showing/recommending campgrounds within 5 miles or 15 miles, etc., of your route on a long trip. (WV to FL in our case this year.) My biggest complaint is that GS appears to show NO campgrounds that offer Passport America discounts (50%), unless they also offer GS discounts (10%).

We have joined both, plus a couple of others, and would prefer the 50% discount, all else being equal. Big advantage to RV Trip Wizard as it will show virtually all campgrounds and denote Passport America, GS, FMCA, Federal (Senior Pass, another 50% discount), state parks (often a senior discount), etc.

RV Trip Wizard was a little difficult starting out, but I’m getting the hang of it now. Their user guide could be better. I think I will mostly be using it in the future, probably in conjunction with some other sources, until something better comes along.

Also, I have a Garmin RV760 and the GS Trip Planner will apparently only download trips to the GS RV navigator from CW. RV Trip Wizard will apparently download maps to virtually any GPS. I will be trying in a few days as our departure draws near.

Wayne
WNJeffers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 09:47 AM   #24
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for the update Wayne!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 03:17 PM   #25

Time is always wrong for my driving style. My average speed, including rest stops, lunch, etc. is 50 MPH. That's what I use to plan my travel day. So far I haven't found any map program that allows the user to set the average speed.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 06:21 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Time is always wrong for my driving style. My average speed, including rest stops, lunch, etc. is 50 MPH. That's what I use to plan my travel day. So far I haven't found any map program that allows the user to set the average speed.
I'll not be paying $40/yr for that RVtripwizard mapping website, my current method is working satisfactorily.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 05:14 AM   #27

Ford Super Duty Owner
In my earlier post I forgot to mention that my GS trips transfer directly to our Rand McNally 7720 - POIs and all. For plotting our course and looking for things to do, GS is very helpful. My RM 7720 has the same POIs.

FWIW

bigben is offline   Reply With Quote