Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV LIFE Trip Wizard - Trip Planner Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-31-2017, 06:59 AM   #1

Good Trip Planning Program?

Sorry if this has been covered already, but after a quick search of both this forum and the internet I can't seem to find what I'm looking for. I would like a trip planning program that will let me plan/change my route by clicking and dragging on the highlighted route, then export/save it as a route to either my GPS or phone.

Google Maps & Bing Maps are the closest I have found, but are limited to 10 waypoints.

I have Garmin BaseCamp, but it's detail is extremely limited.

I also have Street Atlas USA 2014, but its user interface is horrible, and does not have the click and drag capability.

I have seen RV Trip Wizard mentioned here. I wouldn't mind paying the $39 for it, but not without knowing it will do everything I want first.

Are there any other options?
Zrider1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2017, 11:26 AM   #2

Zrider,

What you seem to want does not exist.

With both Street Atlas and Streets and Trips gone, it never will be.

I can do what you are hoping with SA, but it is far from a click-click operation. It doesn't even get close to a PHD (push-here), but it was do able.

We cannot operate with any web-based planner because if we can't get wire, and we often cannot, the plan is junk by the second day.

I wish you luck.

Frank
F76Marion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 01:12 PM   #3

RV Wizard

I like it as it is easily modified. I usually will verify from other sources destination reviews just for more detail. The ability to select road type is very good as the trip matters as much or more than the final destination.
Twin Bridges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 01:30 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinbridges View Post
I like it as it is easily modified. I usually will verify from other sources destination reviews just for more detail. The ability to select road type is very good as the trip matters as much or more than the final destination.
I passed on this as I don't find much use for it if I can't use it offline. I want to be able to sit in my NF campground planning the next leg of my trip, and I won't usually even have phone service. I need software that resides on my laptop. I'm fine with a program which can communicate with and work over the internet when a connection is available, but I need it to also be available when I'm out of touch.
RPreeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 01:46 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPreeb View Post
I passed on this as I don't find much use for it if I can't use it offline. I want to be able to sit in my NF campground planning the next leg of my trip, and I won't usually even have phone service. I need software that resides on my laptop. I'm fine with a program which can communicate with and work over the internet when a connection is available, but I need it to also be available when I'm out of touch.
I use RV Trip Wizard more than any other program and you are correct - it does not have an offline function. That said, you can download your route to your GPS. I personally have never done it, but it has a function button for it.
Russ - USN SWO (ret) - 2018 Dutch Star 4369 Spartan Chassis a Road Glide CVO & Dyna Switchback in an Iron horse trailer or a Jeep Unlimited Alliance Valor 40V13 toyhauler (on order) with Harley CVO ROad Glide and Dyna Switchback in the garage, pulled by a F350 DRW
Russtj60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 07:01 PM   #6

We've used Street Atlas for 20+ years and love it. We add different routes using the 'via'. It's easy. We're then able to transfer it to Garmin. What's great about it is it doesn't need internet to do your map. Unfortunately, there will be no more new versions but we'll use the old until really outdated. Roads don't really change often and if we're just shopping in a big city we use the Garmin.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 03:12 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
I need software that resides on my laptop. I'm fine with a program which can communicate with and work over the internet when a connection is available, but I need it to also be available when I'm out of touch.
I continue to use Microsoft Streets and Trips, now discontinued, including the GPS dongle which tracks where I'm at. It does the best job of giving me the big picture (I have 2+ month/6K trip in the queue right now).

After I build the overall trip, I'll load individual waypoints into my coach GPS, as I really want that to give me the street turn by turn to get me to the next campground. It obviously looks out for height and weight restrictions which MS&T doesn't do.

I've learned to never rely on a single technology, and use Streets to make sure my coach GPS doesn't decide to take me off an exit and back on an entrance, as it tried last year.
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 05:36 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
We've used Street Atlas for 20+ years and love it. We add different routes using the 'via'. It's easy. We're then able to transfer it to Garmin. What's great about it is it doesn't need internet to do your map. Unfortunately, there will be no more new versions but we'll use the old until really outdated. Roads don't really change often and if we're just shopping in a big city we use the Garmin.
Maybe I am missing something, but I can't find how to transfer routs to my Garmin in Street Atlas?
Zrider1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 05:50 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If you are member, Good Sam Club has a pretty good Trip Planner. I do not believe there is a limit on Way Points (Stops) and it can be exported to a Good Sam or Rand McNally GPS.

I have a Garmin and find Base Camp confusing. Perhaps I am just not taking the time to learn it.

g
Old 02-01-2017, 05:55 AM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Glenn View Post
I have a Garmin and find Base Camp confusing. Perhaps I am just not taking the time to learn it.
It's not you Glenn, Base Camp is not user friendly at all...
Old 02-01-2017, 10:37 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiawah View Post
I continue to use Microsoft Streets and Trips, now discontinued, including the GPS dongle which tracks where I'm at. It does the best job of giving me the big picture (I have 2+ month/6K trip in the queue right now).

After I build the overall trip, I'll load individual waypoints into my coach GPS, as I really want that to give me the street turn by turn to get me to the next campground. It obviously looks out for height and weight restrictions which MS&T doesn't do.

I've learned to never rely on a single technology, and use Streets to make sure my coach GPS doesn't decide to take me off an exit and back on an entrance, as it tried last year.
I use my Garmin GPS and Basecamp with the US maps unlocked, and when I have a connection, I use Google Maps a lot. For campgrounds I use All Stays Pro, as well as the national forest and national park websites. I usually check out details on the Google satellite view.
RPreeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 04:07 PM   #12

Zrider,

I use Garmin Basecamp as well. As RPreeb said, if you don't think it shows enough road detail then you probably do not have the maps unlocked.

In Basecamp, go up to the toolbar at the top of the screen. Click on the "Maps" tab. My Basecamp is currently running "City Navigator North America NT 2016.2".

You can do a lot of planning with Basecamp. I have used the "poi-factory.com" as a source for many custom POIs, such as, KOA campgrounds and RV Dump sites. I have used "uscampgrounds.info" as a source for public North American campgrounds.

I have worked with programmers. I dislike programmers. I hate the way they think. They smell like an endless loop. So, if I can use their tools, anyone can.
Old 02-01-2017, 04:10 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Glenn View Post
If you are member, Good Sam Club has a pretty good Trip Planner. I do not believe there is a limit on Way Points (Stops) and it can be exported to a Good Sam or Rand McNally GPS.

g
I use Good Sam also and find it works for me.
Old 02-02-2017, 08:12 PM   #14

I also use Basecamp and found that it took some time to learn. I now find it is very ease to modify a route. Simply right click the route with the select tool, click on "insert to route" and place the pointer where you want to go and click again and the route is redrawn. To get the full use of Basecamp you need City Navigator or US topo maps.