Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-21-2016, 02:01 PM   #1

GPS

Looking for new gps for RV. I had a rand McNally rvnd7710 and it quit working, never got use to it.
Opinions on most accurate gps appreciated.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2016, 02:26 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
All are same "accuracy". One is not more accurate than another. From my knowledge all use the same GPS technology and satellites.

It is the "features" that determine what GPS device will work for you.

Here is a web page that summarizes a lot of different GPS's and different features. It helped me determine which model I bought.

Brian

BrianGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 08:42 PM   #3

I assume that the question of accuracy is relative to the map quality and timeliness. In this regard there are some differences between brands.

It is important to know who supplies the maps for the unit that you are considering and how often those maps are updated to the consumer.

No one that makes a dedicated navigation device produces their own maps. They buy the maps from third parties. In all cases you're dealing with a map that is six months to a year old at best by the time it gets into the hands of the consumer.

There are smartphone navigation apps where the app and the maps come from the same company. Theoretically, the maps are more timely in this situation but in some cases even though they are more timely in release they come from different suppliers who are not all equal in quality to begin with.

It's a really fragmented and complicated industry and the consumer is left to try to figure it out.
Old 09-22-2016, 09:11 AM   #4

Thanks for the tag chart. Strongly leaning toward garmin 760lmt
Old 09-22-2016, 02:11 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
After much research and reading many recommendations from the various GPS threads on this forum and others, we just purchased the Garmin RV 660LMT from here for $299.

Free 2 day shipping and no tax. Hope we're not disappointed!
JillDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 04:56 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JillDS View Post
After much research and reading many recommendations from the various GPS threads on this forum and others, we just purchased the Garmin RV 660LMT from here for $299.

Free 2 day shipping and no tax. Hope we're not disappointed!
I am also looking at this or the RV 760. Please keep us updated on how you like it. thank you
Old 09-22-2016, 07:55 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by emuller1 View Post
I am also looking at this or the RV 760. Please keep us updated on how you like it. thank you
The last comment here helped me decide...."Easy Route Shaping". If we find something interesting and want to head off in a different direction I want to be able to change our route easily.

Heading from Ohio to Bama next week to watch some Crimson Tide football....will report back.
Old 09-23-2016, 09:21 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JillDS View Post
The last comment here helped me decide...."Easy Route Shaping". If we find something interesting and want to head off in a different direction I want to be able to change our route easily.

Heading from Ohio to Bama next week to watch some Crimson Tide football....will report back.
Jill thank you for the follow up. When I look at the GPS site and the comparison between the 660 and 760 it says the 760 has all the RV special info with height, route elevation etc and the 660 does not. Any I reading something wrong/
Old 09-23-2016, 02:20 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
I don't see that.

Go here to the Garmin site where all the features are explained. The RV 660 does all that you mention.
Old 09-23-2016, 02:42 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Get the 760 hands down...
All of our camping buddies have it...

7" screen helps when WAY out there on the RV's dash,
Lifetime quarterly map updates and traffic, still getting software tweaks on it...

I got the one with the wireless backup camera option and put in my towed jeep so I take it out of the rv and put in jeep to run around...

even had the trails in colorado we went on !
Here it is showing us going up La Plata Canyon before we turned around @ 12,000 ft or so
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	JeepCapture.JPG
Views:	46
Size:	105.0 KB
ID:	139749  
If you really are sad and think nobody cares, just try missing a few payments ! '11 Monaco Diplomat 43DFT RR10R pushed by a Demco Excali-Bar II hitch which is pushed by a '14 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport.
JohnBoyToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 03:32 PM   #11

I use my $100 Garmin even though my Winnebago ERA has one built in the dash. I can take the Garmin in the house and program my destinations and most importantly mount it on the windshield at eye level. If I use the one in the RV I have to look down, take my eyes off the road, and that ain't good.

Works for me
Old 10-04-2016, 01:44 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Just returned from our trip to Tuscaloosa, Alabama....Roll Tide!

Our Garmin RV 660LMT worked flawlessly. Very happy with our purchase.
Old 10-05-2016, 07:46 AM   #13

Gps garmin 760

Quote:
Originally Posted by emuller1 View Post
Got it last week, used it once, very user-friendly. So far I really like it. Greg
Old 10-05-2016, 08:51 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
https://www.amazon.com/Garmin-760LMT...ords=garmin+rv

Best price I can find and it is 7".

Tags
gps