Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-29-2016, 04:04 PM   #1

GPS Apps or devices

We are wondering what all GPS devices and apps are available. We would like one we can plug our height, width, Coach length and overall length with toad. Ideally it would give elevations and road hazards. It would let us pick the type of road we want to drive etc

We have Apple iPhone and iPad plus Samsung Note and Samsung Pad. Also have our laptops so device platform should not be huge concern. We are willing to buy a GPS unit itself.

What all have you folks used?

Thanks
Joe & Laura
DigMyPast@msn.com

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2016, 04:28 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
CoPilot on a android tablet here. Their is a relatively new RV specific version, I have not tried it. There was a recent review of it here.

Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 04:31 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
I'd think you have most every GPS powered device except a dedicated RV GPS.

All the GPS devices use one of just a few data bases of information. Sometimes that information is wrong. I've encountered problems in California, Connecticut, and other places. In CA a Garmin GPS tried to instruct to turn right when there was only a vineyard. A few miles later it guided us up a road that got smaller, smaller, and ended in a private driveway. In Conn. it suggested we take our RV and toad across a military base to get to the interstate entrance on the other side. (The guards disagreed.) In Oregon I was headed for a hardware store that was closed, next closest was a Home Depot 12 miles away. Only problem, the HD was on the other side of the Columbia river and I'd have to drive 40 miles to get to a bridge to cross over.

This guy was blindly following his GPS and turned into a stairway entrance to a NYC park.

These ladies followed their GPS closely:

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 04:50 PM   #4

My hubby was in the computer industry since Vacuum Tubes and when he married me in 1974 started admiring every type pc from the Radio Shack Trash 80 to Commodores, Vic 20, Apple, Franklin to current day....except for our coach it is our main expense. I have to admit I taught K-6 computer science and had the first Elementary School computer lab in Washington state.
Old 07-29-2016, 04:54 PM   #5

always have paper maps with me. We are 12'8" and our friends are 13'2" Very short warning of a 13' tunnel at Cayuse Pass. Where do you find that info if you meander the country a lot?
Old 07-29-2016, 05:14 PM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigMyPast View Post
My hubby was in the computer industry since Vacuum Tubes and when he married me in 1974 started admiring every type pc from the Radio Shack Trash 80 to Commodores, Vic 20, Apple, Franklin to current day....except for our coach it is our main expense. I have to admit I taught K-6 computer science and had the first Elementary School computer lab in Washington state.
Well then you know GIGO. My son lives in Denver, GPS says there's a restaurant right down the street. It left in 2004. I've notified the GPS corrections website 3 years ago, but it's still shown on the latest map update.

Bob & Donna
Old 07-29-2016, 05:22 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I agree the GPS software can lead one awry. On the flip side, I marvel that they work at all. (-: Most of the time they do work pretty well.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 05:32 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
A dedicated GPS, the one I like is RV760LTM, will be the best tool. Yes they all have their faults, but I find most of the time it is operator error. Read the manual, Darwin had a shorter book, the GPS units are over the top on what options are to be chosen, and how they affect the road to be traveled. One I love is right turns only, well 200' and I can make a left but I asked for it, 4 miles later, well 200' short of, and I make a right turn into the CG.

LEN
Old 07-31-2016, 08:41 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
I agree the GPS software can lead one awry. On the flip side, I marvel that they work at all. (-: Most of the time they do work pretty well.

I agree. Particularly when you miss a turn in an unfamiliar area. It recalculates on the fly and does its best to get you to your destination.
Old 07-31-2016, 08:55 AM   #10

Using a GPS doesn't mean you can turn your brain off. People who drive into rivers "Because of the GPS" just were not paying attention.

That kind of blame will have to wait for auto-driving cars.
Lots of RV Information at www.dmbruss.com
Dale & Mark Bruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 09:33 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
As usual here out of 8 reply's only 2 had a answer to the OP question.

The other 6 have nothing to do his question.

For the OP. they may not be any program that will do all you want.
The CoPilot app may be close, that works on the iPhone & iPad with the same low cost licenses less then $15.
There is even a Free version you can try out with.

The CoPilot has 2 RV settings for your RV height. And many RV POI's

With my answer the OP now has 3 out of 9 to help him.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 10:02 AM   #12

Gulf Streamers Club
I've got to disagree, Triker56. The OP has 6 devices capable of giving GPS navigation (the laptops might need add on GPS, perhaps the iPad, too.) What almost everyone said was, don't expect another GPS device to be more accurate or make your travels safer than what you already have.

GIGO means "Garbage In, Garbage Out" and was referring to the fact that there is a limited amount of original GPS services that provide information for all devices.

I personally think the dedicated truck or RV GPS units are overpriced and don't provide any more accurate information than the devices the OP already owns. Regional and state websites have information about bridge and low clearance issues to keep an RVer out of trouble. My last GPS system was a refurbished Garmin unit from Walmart that cost under $100 and has lifetime traffic and map update information. Why spend over $300 or more for a dedicated RV GPS when it's information is only as good as my <$100 unit? Programs and apps for some of the devices the OP already owns would be far cheaper and just as accurate as the RV GPS systems.

Dale & Mark Bruss made a very important comment, "Using a GPS doesn't mean you can turn your brain off. "

Bob & Donna
Old 07-31-2016, 10:24 AM   #13

There are three app based solutions that are specific to RVs and worth consideration in my experience. CoPilot RV by ALK, Sygic Truck and RV Route & GPS by Teletype. Each has pros and cons.

I have the most experience with CoPilot. The RV version of the CoPilot app is new and is not the same as using the cheaper car app in RV mode. CoPilot is extremely feature rich, having many of the same features as a dedicated GPS device. The problem with CoPilot is that their maps are subpar in my experience (and many others when you read the app reviews). You can read my experience using CoPilot on a recent 3200 mile trip here: http://jkcarp.blogspot.com/2016/07/3...s-best-of.html

As I mentioned in my blog do not use CoPilot without buying the optional traffic package and turning on ActiveRoutes in the routing profile of you will be very disappointed in the results. CoPilot is offline maps needing 3-4 GB of space. Maps are updated quarterly.

Sygic is not as user friendly as CoPilot in my opinion but they use HERE maps (same as Garmin) so the map quality is better in my experience than CoPilot. It is more expensive as a result so it's a trade off. It has many of the same features as CoPilot but aren't as intuitive to use in my opinion. Sygic is also offline maos, updated 2-3 times per year but I haven't owned it long enough to know that they keep their word on that. This app has a free trial. You can buy a North America RV lifetime subscription to the app at a summer discount price at this website http://www.sygic.com/truck-gps-navigation/pricing This app also has a good quality traffic subscription.

RV Route & GPS is an interesting app. They have a semi truck app too. They use Google Maps and develop customized routing restrictions"on top of" Google Map's data. Main advantage here is the extreme timeliness of Google Maps data. If you aren't familiar with Google MapMaker program, trusted users can make map changes and if will appear in the app within a few hours. Disadvantage to this app is that it requires a data connection. This is a subscription service payable in multiple lengths of time. Every day from 12 - 1 pm the app is free to use to test it. This app shows you the Google Traffic layer but does not take any traffic into account in routing.

As for hardware, I purchased the Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 8.0 tablet to run these apps on. I've done about 4500 miles so far using it with each of these apps and love the tablet.

Just one other comment, if you decide you don't need RV specific routing but want a feature-rich app that is as good as a dedicated GPS device then my opinion is that the new TomTom app is second to none.

Tags
gps