Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-17-2016, 10:57 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Post GPS recommendations required

Looking to buy our first RV GPS where we can input our RV profile.

Asking what works best for you? We have an old Garmin GPS for the toad, paper maps and a Rand McNally map atlas which is too small to read sometimes

I know some people use a phone app but I want a GPS, makes me feel better
Randy
FT2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-17-2016, 11:50 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
I love our Garmin RV 760LMT which we've been using for almost two years now. I don't know if it's still the most current Garmin model.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
2006 Jeep Wrangler X, Blue Ox Towbar
Rsponsford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 03:57 PM   #3

Howdy!

Co-Pilot GPS app it has a RV setting in the app, or you can get the app for RV. All you need is a smartphone or a tablet with gps.

https://copilotgps.com/

https://copilotgps.com/en-us/rv-navigation/

"Happy Trails"
Chiefneon
chiefneon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 03:59 PM   #4

We have been using CoPilot since 2003. First on PCs and now on Android tablets.
Lots of RV Information at www.dmbruss.com
Dale & Mark Bruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 07:48 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Another RV760LMT happy user. About $300 if you shop around. Just read the manual and practice and check the routing with any GPS. Since you already have a Garmin it will operate much the same just do more. Lane assist is one big thing for me, lets me know ahead of time witch lanes I can be in to go the right way. Good list of camp grounds built in and voice control for input while driving, no touch.

LEN
Old 11-20-2016, 07:49 PM   #6

Sygic makes a really nice Android app that has RV specific routing. It uses the same makes as Garmin, HERE maps. Traffic for it is from TomTom. I run it on a Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 8.0 tablet.
Jeffcarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 08:08 PM   #7

Sygic looks interesting but I look for height routing and that comes with the Caravan option at $89 compared to CoPilot RV at $50.
Lots of RV Information at www.dmbruss.com
Dale & Mark Bruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 08:20 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Our coach came with a Garmin Nuvi 1250 GPS unit ... which worked pretty well. We had a couple of instances where it goofed up - sending us to a point on the earth that didn't match up to the address we had given it - but that said, it routed us appropriately 99+% of the time. However - we got tired of constantly moving the unit between the coach and the toad. We just upgraded the coach GPS to a Garmin RV760LMT unit - and have relegated the slightly smaller Nuvi to the toad. While I haven't used the new 760 device to actually navigate anywhere - setup was pretty simple and I like the larger screen. I'm looking forward to putting it thru it's paces during our upcoming trip to Florida.
Old 11-21-2016, 11:02 AM   #9

I have an older Garmin Nuvi 1490. It isn't RV specific, but I don't need that for pulling my TT. I keep it in the TV all the time, and it gets me into and out of places which would be a hassle otherwise. I've used Garmin GPS for almost as long as they have been reasonably available for consumers, and I wouldn't have anything else. I even use Garmin for hiking and golf.

It's not perfect, no GPS is. It still requires the user to think for himself, but it can be a real lifesaver at times. It will at times tell you to go past your destination and make a u-turn because it can't see the break in the center island for a left turn. It is also programmed to favor right turns over left, and will sometimes route you around a block when you can't see any other reason for it.

If you are new to GPS, turn it on and use it a bit on familiar roads while you learn the menu format and pick up its idiosyncrasies. That way you won't be caught napping when it does something unexpected while navigating in unfamiliar territory.
RPreeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 02:10 PM   #10

I'm looking to add a Nav unit to my 2002 Holiday Rambler Neptune. Camping World has Magellan RV9365T6-LMB on sale, but I wasn't impressed with the reviews. While adding Nav would be nice, I would REALLY like to replace the existing in-dash radio and in the console factory backup camera with an in-dash Nav/Radio/bluetooth/backup camera. Anybody got some suggestions?
ProspectorTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 07:06 PM   #11

I have the Rand McNally RV tablet and love it
Old 11-21-2016, 08:12 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hgrace56 View Post
I have the Rand McNally RV tablet and love it
You are apparently one of the few. Reviews are mostly negative, mentioning in particular 10 year old outdated maps with no way to update them. For me that alone is reason not to buy it - certainly not at the $500 price tag. Roads and points of interest change all the time. Apparently you are also locked into Amazon for app purchases, no Google Play Store with the also 3 year outdated Android OS.

Even on a fully current Garmin GPS the information can be 2-3 years behind reality because of the lag between researching and recording changes, adding them to the programming, and publishing them in the next quarterly update.
RPreeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 09:41 PM   #13

Country Coach Owners Club
Any Garmin unit with free map updates and traffic will serve you well. I am using an old 765 unit and it gets me where I want to go.

Just remember that GPS'rs should be used for amusement purposes only, they are not 100%. You should have some idea as to where you are going.

My aircraft is Garmin but navigation is mostly straight line, I don't have to worry about where to turn in 400 feet.
Old 11-22-2016, 08:18 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPreeb View Post
You are apparently one of the few. Reviews are mostly negative, mentioning in particular 10 year old outdated maps with no way to update them. For me that alone is reason not to buy it - certainly not at the $500 price tag. Roads and points of interest change all the time. Apparently you are also locked into Amazon for app purchases, no Google Play Store with the also 3 year outdated Android OS.

Even on a fully current Garmin GPS the information can be 2-3 years behind reality because of the lag between researching and recording changes, adding them to the programming, and publishing them in the next quarterly update.
Well I seem to get an update nearly every time I go out, it even tells me when trees are low in our area.
As for APPS I do not rely on it for anything other than the GPS and specific RV routing functions which I find very handy. It's built in waypoint for fuel ,rest stop, and suitable sites for my rig are very handy. I run one of my Android phones with Waze or Google maps often to compare and the GPS give me routes that are flatter . wider, and more appropriate for my Class A than they ever do.
The On screen display and Trip Maker are also quitre nice and large as well.
Hgrace56 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gps