Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-20-2016, 05:33 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
sunset4k's Avatar
 
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 296
Grade question I40 into Albuquerque

Hello my RV friends!! Planning on heading west from Texas to the 4 Corners area in Sept. Taking I40 west through New Mexico and then north. I've never driven our 43' DP in the mountains. I don't remember the Sandias being extreme but any advise you can give will be appreciated. We have a HR Navigator and it has an exhaust brake, and I understand the gearing, just not familiar with the grades along I40 across NM. Any bad hills along that stretch??

Thanks
Jerry
__________________

__________________
sunset4k is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2016, 06:30 PM   #2
Member
 
KPFulltimers's Avatar
 
Gulf Streamers Club
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Fulltime, USA
Posts: 86
Use this website to check out the elevation profile:

How far did I run? - Create running maps with On The Go Map

I have driven Texas to Albuequeque several times with my V-10 with no problems. Sure, the elevation climbs and in places there are rolling hills but nothing too bad.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	albue1.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	136576  
__________________

__________________
Phil & Kathi
USAF/USAF Civil Service Retired - Fulltimers since October 2014
2006 GS Independence 8357LS, 2011 Equinox, Hobie Odyssey, CHF, 5 Star Tune, TireTracker
KPFulltimers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 06:32 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Enjoying the Western States!
Posts: 5,407
It'll be an easy drive with your coach - no difficult areas - just traffic through the city! NM 491 off I-40 or AZ 191 are good ways to get to the Four Corners area. Four Corners itself isn't a big destination. . nothing much around there. Mesa Verde Nat'l Park at Cortez, CO is worth a trip and a ranger tour of the ruins. Lots of things in southern Utah for that time of year. What else are you planning to see? Perhaps we could help.
__________________
Full-timed for 16 Years . . . Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Diesel
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th wheel
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 06:42 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Steve Ownby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Cosby, Tn
Posts: 6,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunset4k View Post
Hello my RV friends!! Planning on heading west from Texas to the 4 Corners area in Sept. Taking I40 west through New Mexico and then north. I've never driven our 43' DP in the mountains. I don't remember the Sandias being extreme but any advise you can give will be appreciated. We have a HR Navigator and it has an exhaust brake, and I understand the gearing, just not familiar with the grades along I40 across NM. Any bad hills along that stretch??



Thanks

Jerry

You won't have any problems in the mountains, just pay attention to the road ahead & gear accordingly. You don't say which engine you have but all 3 of the engines available in your coach have engine compression brakes instead of exhaust brakes. These compression brakes are very effective & are most effective toward the top of your rpm range. Until you get a feel for how to manage long descents, be sure to be conservative with speed when you start down. I generally want to be no faster than 55-60 when the down grade is 6% or greater. To get good retarding power you need to be in 4th gear or lower.
__________________
Steve Ownby
Full time since 2007
2003 Monaco Signature
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 09:08 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
sunset4k's Avatar
 
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 296
Thanks for the great info !! This will be our first trip to this part of Southern Colorado and to Arizona. Staying in Cortez because son is traveling with us in his 5er and they are headed to Salt Lake City when we start home. So we are open to suggestions for anything in northern Az. Will be there 6 or 7 days and will go to Grand Canyon of course. We will be towing a Jeep for touring.

Thanks for tips on mountain driving. We have the 500 Cummins so I know we have plenty of power. I think after this trip and some experience under our belts in this coach we will be good to head back east next spring.
__________________
Jerry & Diane Kovar
2006 HR Navigator 43pbq
2015 Jeep Wrangler/Blue Ox Avanta
sunset4k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 09:34 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Steve Ownby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Cosby, Tn
Posts: 6,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunset4k View Post
Thanks for the great info !! This will be our first trip to this part of Southern Colorado and to Arizona. Staying in Cortez because son is traveling with us in his 5er and they are headed to Salt Lake City when we start home. So we are open to suggestions for anything in northern Az. Will be there 6 or 7 days and will go to Grand Canyon of course. We will be towing a Jeep for touring.



Thanks for tips on mountain driving. We have the 500 Cummins so I know we have plenty of power. I think after this trip and some experience under our belts in this coach we will be good to head back east next spring.

Your ISM is a wonderful engine in a motorhome. The one weak spot is the EGR valve which was added in late '02 in preparation for the '04 EPA requirements. The EGR has proven to be problematic in an engine which, other wise, has a reputation for trouble free operation.

There is a device available:

http://www.theuglyfix.co/index.html

Which is plug and play and essentially keeps the valve closed and problem free. If you are interested, just use the contact info in the link above.
__________________
Steve Ownby
Full time since 2007
2003 Monaco Signature
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 06:38 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
sunset4k's Avatar
 
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
Your ISM is a wonderful engine in a motorhome. The one weak spot is the EGR valve which was added in late '02 in preparation for the '04 EPA requirements. The EGR has proven to be problematic in an engine which, other wise, has a reputation for trouble free operation.

There is a device available:

The Ugly Fix® Cummins EGR Control Module® Delete - Cummins EGR Performance Module Delete Kit (The Ugly Fix„)

Which is plug and play and essentially keeps the valve closed and problem free. If you are interested, just use the contact info in the link above.
Thanks for the link!!! We have already had it in to Cummins the EGR was replaced by the dealer the day we bought it!! I will be checking this out!!!
__________________
sunset4k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 07:09 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Steve Ownby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Cosby, Tn
Posts: 6,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunset4k View Post
Thanks for the link!!! We have already had it in to Cummins the EGR was replaced by the dealer the day we bought it!! I will be checking this out!!!

Perfect. The one caveat is that the EGR must be in good working order for the Ugly Fix to work.
__________________
Steve Ownby
Full time since 2007
2003 Monaco Signature
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 07:16 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
sunset4k's Avatar
 
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
Perfect. The one caveat is that the EGR must be in good working order for the Ugly Fix to work.
Our coach is at our RV repair shop right now having the cruise control fixed. I am going to have him run it to Cummins just to be sure the EGR is in good order and I will be ordering the kit tonight for him to install. I am sure appreciative of the info!!
__________________
sunset4k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 07:16 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
jacwjames's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 4,315
We drove that route last October to go to the Balloon Festival. Didn't have any problems with the grades either up or down, just pay attention as the grades going into Albuquerque had some twists and turns.

FYI, if you need a place to boon dock overnight the Sandia Casino allows overnight parking, it was packed during the Balloon Festival but we were able to find an open spot just before the festival and again after we came back from a trip to Santa Fe and surrounding area.
__________________
Jim J
2002 Monaco Windsor 38 PKD
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee w/5.7 Hemi
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 07:51 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Spring, TX
Posts: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
We drove that route last October to go to the Balloon Festival. Didn't have any problems with the grades either up or down, just pay attention as the grades going into Albuquerque had some twists and turns.

FYI, if you need a place to boon dock overnight the Sandia Casino allows overnight parking, it was packed during the Balloon Festival but we were able to find an open spot just before the festival and again after we came back from a trip to Santa Fe and surrounding area.
Hopefully I'm not hijacking this thread, but we are making a similar trip in a few weeks. I was planning to take Why 550 from Albuquerque up thru Cuba & Farmington enroute to Cortez. Is this a decent route or would you all recommend I-40 to Hwy 491? We drive a 45' Essex towing an F-150. Thanks for the input--
__________________
neilnoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 12:23 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Enjoying the Western States!
Posts: 5,407
550 to Durango is a very easy highway.
__________________
Full-timed for 16 Years . . . Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Diesel
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th wheel
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 12:33 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
sunset4k's Avatar
 
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 296
Neilnoff we decided to go ahead and take I 40 to Gsllup snd then 491 up to Cortez. We are traveling with another couple that has very little experience in mountain driving either. My son is also going in his 5er but they are leaving us at Tucumcari to head to South Fork Co for two days before rejoining us at Cortez. He will be driving Wolf Creek pass to get back down to us!!! We will be in Cortez sept 11th at the Ute Mountain Casino (close to Cortez). Any chance you will be there at the same time??
__________________
Jerry & Diane Kovar
2006 HR Navigator 43pbq
2015 Jeep Wrangler/Blue Ox Avanta
sunset4k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 12:36 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
sunset4k's Avatar
 
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 296
And by the way, if you go on You Tube, and type in almost any route there is usually a video that someone has created. That's how and why we picked the I40 to 491 route. There was a time lapse video of the entire route!!
__________________

__________________
Jerry & Diane Kovar
2006 HR Navigator 43pbq
2015 Jeep Wrangler/Blue Ox Avanta
sunset4k is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Desperate need of a Carrier AC dealer along I40 diandtom iRV2.com General Discussion 13 07-10-2010 03:09 AM
Route to Gaffney with I40 closure? Bill Barclay Navigation, Routes & Roads 2 03-06-2010 02:16 PM
I40 "More" Rock Slides DriVer Navigation, Routes & Roads 9 01-31-2010 07:20 AM
Route 411 From Sevierville To I40 GaryKD Navigation, Routes & Roads 4 08-03-2008 12:00 PM
I40, Nashville to Knoxville, TN Tide Guy Navigation, Routes & Roads 8 10-17-2007 03:57 PM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.