Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-22-2019, 06:12 PM   #1

Grades from Cody to Yellowstone

We were able get across Big Horn mountains with only a couple of stops for high engine temps.
Going from Cody to West Yellowstone and then down to The Tetons
What kind of grades are we looking at?
Thanks
Wm
wmiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2019, 08:53 PM   #2

The inclines are steady and not steep until you are in the park, then it becomes curvy and more steep, there are a few pull-outs to accommodate slower vehicles and emergency stops. Are you manually downshifting to keep engine RPM's up? This will reduce over-heating by spinning the fan and the water pump faster. It's not a race, do whatever is necessary to keep your MH in the normal operating temperature range rather than ruin your trip.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 08:54 PM   #3

You will have some in the 7% range, though I don't recall any real long grades, just lots of up and downs until you get to west Yellowstone. The route down through the parks to Grand Tetons national park will be much easier than West Yellowstone to Jackson, WY over Tetons pass.
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 09:10 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Cody to West Yellowstone is not flat, but it is an easy ride. Grades are not at all bad.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 11:14 PM   #5

From the "Mountain Directory for Truckers and RVers":

First you'll have Sylvan Pass. The summit is 8559' and Fishing Bridge is 7740' elevation so the descent westbound is only about an 800' drop in elevation spread over 12 miles.

Then you'll have Craig Pass between West Thumb Junction and Old Faithful. The road crosses the Continental Divide twice. The first time is about 4 mi. west of West Thumb. The elevation is about 650' higher than West Thumb. The second crossing of the Divide is about 6 mi. farther west. This crossing is about 520' higher than West Thumb. The entire stretch of road between Old Faithful and West Thumb is rolling hills. There are some 5-6% sections but they are short. Speed limit is 45 mph with slower curves.

Drive into Yellowstone to get to the South Entrance and Teton Nat'l Park.

Do not come in from Idaho to Jackson to Tetons - it's not necessary and definitely don't take Teton Pass on Hwy 22 coming into Jackson. You won't like the steep 10% grades!!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 07:14 AM   #6

Thanks for the information.
I think with shorter pulls and by downshifting I will be fine.
I ran in 3rd coming up after the overheating and that helped. I was turning 2-2500 rpms

I just surprised and disappointed that this would be an issue.

Thanks again,
Wm
Old 08-23-2019, 08:42 AM   #7

Do not come in from Idaho to Jackson to Tetons - it's not necessary and definitely don't take Teton Pass on Hwy 22 coming into Jackson. You won't like the steep 10% grades!!

How is 26 going South and West out of Jackson over to I-15?

Wm
Old 08-23-2019, 02:06 PM   #8

From Jackson drive south to Alpine and pick up 26 to ID I-15. It's a very pleasant, easy drive - just about flat. It's along the river and reservoir.

If you need to replenish fuel, groceries, beer, etc. as you're leaving Jackson on the right will be a large Smith's plaza and all are right there. Also a laundramat.
Old 08-23-2019, 05:26 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
From Jackson drive south to Alpine and pick up 26 to ID I-15. It's a very pleasant, easy drive - just about flat. It's along the river and reservoir.

If you need to replenish fuel, groceries, beer, etc. as you're leaving Jackson on the right will be a large Smith's plaza and all are right there. Also a laundramat.
Good information
Thanks,
Wm
Old 08-24-2019, 09:07 PM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Grand Design Owners Club
We just came out of Yellowstone going east to Cody. Once out of Cody and the valley going West there is a steady 6% to 7% climb for 6 miles as it goes up 1500 feet. It's a pretty good climb. Coming down I was in 3rd all the way at maybe 35mph with some slower curves.

Not sure where you came over the Big Horns (16 via Powder River Pass or 14/14a via Burgees junction - AKA Oh-My-God Hill). If 16 then you haven't hit the big grades yet (like you'll have going to Y-stone). If you crossed via 14 or 14a then you have a lot more nerve than me.

There are some pullouts on the long pull up from Cody to Yellowstone. Lots of folks seemed to need them.
Old 08-25-2019, 07:07 AM   #11

We made the run yesterday from Cody to West Yellowstone. Our coach handled all the climbs well. I took it easy and ran in 3rd, keeping the rpms up and the temps down.

We came up 16 from Buffalo across Powder. That 1st climb caught me and that is where I had to pull over and cool down.

Wm
Old 08-25-2019, 05:21 PM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
Grand Design Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmiii View Post
We made the run yesterday from Cody to West Yellowstone. Our coach handled all the climbs well. I took it easy and ran in 3rd, keeping the rpms up and the temps down.

We came up 16 from Buffalo across Powder. That 1st climb caught me and that is where I had to pull over and cool down.

Wm
Glad it worked out for you , Wm. You don't have a signature line. What coach and toad?
Old 08-25-2019, 07:25 PM   #13

Thanks for coming back with a report. Glad you had no issues. How are the crowds?
Old 08-25-2019, 07:46 PM   #14

Crowds are not too bad. Worst we experienced was at Norris Geyser Basin.
Not bad at Canyon, South Rim rd or even at Old Faithful.
Crowded at Grand Prismic spring.

Wm Mayberry
2003 National Tradewinds 375LE
2011 Honda CRV

Tags
yellowstone