RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-02-2019, 11:34 PM   #1

Grand Canyon South Rim winter 2020

We are planning a trip from Oregon to Death Valley NP next winter sometime. We would also like to go to GCNP. Since our departure will depend on when the weather will permit us to cross the Cascade mountains, our time frame wonít include reservations. Are the campgrounds at GCNP so booked in February that we would not be able to drive in? We will be doing a lot of dry camping and are also interested in BLM/FS sites suitable for a 36í coach.

CeeCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2019, 12:13 AM   #2

Mather CG is open year-round, as is Trailer Village w/fhu. There is dispersed camping at Tusayan in the national forest.
I doubt any will be full, given schools will be in session, and cold weather discourages many adults.
You may find this website very useful when making your plans.http://oss.weathershare.org/?Center=...0#.XC2okc1Onb0

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 12:58 AM   #3

Grand Canyon in February may be cold and even snow (which is a beautiful sight). However, we went once in Feb. and wore shorts. Keep close watch on the weather. You may not want to boondock if it's that cold. Trailer Village with hookups is the best place to stay. It's in the park.

Death Valley can be cold, also. Bring warm clothes!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 12:09 AM   #4

Thank you for your helpful responses. I am hoping that the winter season will reduce crowds at GC. Thatís why we wonít be going in the warmer months!
CeeCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 04:02 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Grand Canyon in February may be cold and even snow (which is a beautiful sight). However, we went once in Feb. and wore shorts. Keep close watch on the weather. You may not want to boondock if it's that cold. Trailer Village with hookups is the best place to stay. It's in the park.

I would like to ask a question if I might. We are taking our 1st long distance trip from Georgia to the South Rim GC full access RV park. We are planning to go in late March. I don't actually have the route but you were saying snow in February how about late March. Our seasons seem to be off kilter. I've got peach trees in bloom and its wintertime
Old 01-07-2019, 05:37 PM   #6

I have been to the Grand Canyon the last two winters in February. Two years ago, the weather up at the canyon was well below freezing and chance of snow. We left the coach near Phoenix, and drove the toad up to the canyon. It was about three hours each way. It made for a long day, but was the first time we had saw the canyon. Last winter we went back again, and this time the weather was much warmer. It was about 50 degrees, and we stayed at the KOA in Flagstaff for a few days, then went up to Page to see the slot canyons. I think it depends on the year, and the weather can change day to day. The Flagstaff area can be known for snowstorms, so coming down the mountain 6000 ft in a storm could be hairy. The elevation at Phoenix is around 1100 ft. Vegas is around 2000ft. Flagstaff is at around 7000 ft, similar to the south rim of the canyon. Kingman is at 3300 ft, which is part way up coming from the west.The weather at the lower elevations is almost always decent. Check the weather before you "go up the hill". Good luck, the canyon is breath taking for sure.
Old 01-07-2019, 11:19 PM   #7

Here's a lot of information on the average weather for Grand Canyon South Rim from their web site:

https://www.nps.gov/grca/planyourvis...-condition.htm
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 10:20 AM   #8

Quote:
Here's a lot of information on the average weather for Grand Canyon South Rim from their web site:

https://www.nps.gov/grca/planyourvis...-condition.htm
Thank you
Old 01-08-2019, 10:21 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by winniman View Post
I have been to the Grand Canyon the last two winters in February. Two years ago, the weather up at the canyon was well below freezing and chance of snow. We left the coach near Phoenix, and drove the toad up to the canyon. It was about three hours each way. It made for a long day, but was the first time we had saw the canyon. Last winter we went back again, and this time the weather was much warmer. It was about 50 degrees, and we stayed at the KOA in Flagstaff for a few days, then went up to Page to see the slot canyons. I think it depends on the year, and the weather can change day to day. The Flagstaff area can be known for snowstorms, so coming down the mountain 6000 ft in a storm could be hairy. The elevation at Phoenix is around 1100 ft. Vegas is around 2000ft. Flagstaff is at around 7000 ft, similar to the south rim of the canyon. Kingman is at 3300 ft, which is part way up coming from the west.The weather at the lower elevations is almost always decent. Check the weather before you "go up the hill". Good luck, the canyon is breath taking for sure.
We're not taking the road this trip. Is not doing this a no-no. It doesn't feel good pulling a toad in iffy weather. But if it's bad we'll go another time.
Old 01-08-2019, 11:04 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanne View Post
I would like to ask a question if I might. We are taking our 1st long distance trip from Georgia to the South Rim GC full access RV park. We are planning to go in late March. I don't actually have the route but you were saying snow in February how about late March. Our seasons seem to be off kilter. I've got peach trees in bloom and its wintertime
I have hiked the canyon several times in March and April. Had snow two times, although not a huge amount. Expect anything, bring some warm clothes and enjoy. There will still be a lot of people there, just not as many as summertime. There’s fewer airlifts out of the canyon for heatstroke/ dehydration in the winter
Old 01-10-2019, 09:19 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanne View Post
We're not taking the road this trip. Is not doing this a no-no. It doesn't feel good pulling a toad in iffy weather. But if it's bad we'll go another time.
Two years ago, we started from Kelowna BC and came down through Washington, Oregon, then kept going south through California. We then crossed over into Nevada. We never had any problems going that way in February except we had to stop in Bakersfield for a day due to high winds in the Tehachapi pass. Ive heard there are some high passes crossing the Cascades, but I am not familiar with them, as we didnt go that route. We stayed closer to the ocean, so the temperatures were well above freezing. We had a toad in tow. We put 4000 miles on the tow car each winter, so I can imagine it would have been a lot more trouble had we not had the car with us. We used the car to go Sedona from Flagstaff. It is beautiful there, and a must see. The road from Flagstaff to Sedona is not recommended for an rv, so the car was a must if you want to go to Sedona for a visit. We also used the car to go over Sitgreaves pass and visit Oatman. It is an old route 66 town with wild donkeys. It also is not a recommended road for an rv. We also drove up to Page and saw the Slot Canyons. Just a few places you might want to have the car along for. Most all these places we visited are on my Youtube channel.Cheers
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCol..._as=subscriber
Old 01-30-2019, 07:48 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by winniman View Post
Two years ago, we started from Kelowna BC and came down through Washington, Oregon, then kept going south through California. We then crossed over into Nevada. We never had any problems going that way in February except we had to stop in Bakersfield for a day due to high winds in the Tehachapi pass. Ive heard there are some high passes crossing the Cascades, but I am not familiar with them, as we didnt go that route. We stayed closer to the ocean, so the temperatures were well above freezing. We had a toad in tow. We put 4000 miles on the tow car each winter, so I can imagine it would have been a lot more trouble had we not had the car with us. We used the car to go Sedona from Flagstaff. It is beautiful there, and a must see. The road from Flagstaff to Sedona is not recommended for an rv, so the car was a must if you want to go to Sedona for a visit. We also used the car to go over Sitgreaves pass and visit Oatman. It is an old route 66 town with wild donkeys. It also is not a recommended road for an rv. We also drove up to Page and saw the Slot Canyons. Just a few places you might want to have the car along for. Most all these places we visited are on my Youtube channel.Cheers
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCol..._as=subscriber
Thank you
Old 03-07-2019, 09:56 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Mather CG is open year-round, as is Trailer Village w/fhu. There is dispersed camping at Tusayan in the national forest.
I doubt any will be full, given schools will be in session, and cold weather discourages many adults.
You may find this website very useful when making your plans.http://oss.weathershare.org/?Center=...0#.XC2okc1Onb0
Thank you
Old 03-07-2019, 09:56 AM   #14

Quote:

Thank you

Tags
winter