Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-04-2018, 02:12 PM   #1

Smile Grand Canyon to Zion Route

We are planning our trip back north around April 20th, 2018, and are pulling a 40' fifth wheel. The Good Sam trip planner has us going along the south rim from GC Village to 64, then 89 through Cameron, Painted Desert, Willow Springs, Bitter Springs, through Marble Canyon, House Rock, Fredonia, Colorado City, La Verkin, ending in Springdale. This is the long way around because of a tunnel East of Springdale (we are 13'5 " high). My question deals with the terrain on this trip. Is it overly mountainous where my 5er might be an issue? Are there any pull-outs along the way for brief stops and/or sightseeing? These might be stupid questions but I don't want to take the rig where it shouldn't go.
When we leave Springdale we are headed for the Bryce Canyon area, then north to Salt Lake City. That part of the trip should be pretty smooth, just concerned with mountain regions we have not yet traveled. Any and all suggestions we be welcomed.
tapiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2018, 03:03 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapiper View Post
When we leave Springdale we are headed for the Bryce Canyon area, then north to Salt Lake City. That part of the trip should be pretty smooth, just concerned with mountain regions we have not yet traveled. Any and all suggestions we be welcomed.
If you're in GC at Trailer Village then take 64 east through the park ending at Cameron/89. Then north on 89 (I'm not sure of your comment 'Painted Desert' because Painted Desert Nt'l Prk is east of Flagstaff on I-40 and you don't want to be over that direction for your trip). So far... it's an easy drive - no mountains.

So... from Bitter Springs you have a choice to get to Fredonia, AZ. 89A you will have a steep uphill about 10 miles of 6% to Jacob Lake and a downhill of 6 miles at 6% to Fredonia. Many RVers drive it (& we have many times) so it's doable. It's not long distances and at the top of the uphill is a very large nice viewpoint. If you're pulling a 40' 5th wheel I'm sure your truck is capable of this drive.

... or from Bitter Springs you can head to Page, AZ and take 89 to Fredonia - between Bitter Springs and Page you'll have an uphill but not bad. Going northbound to Page isn't as bad as southbound downhill.

Either 89A or 89 are extremely popular RV routes so many do it.

From Fredonia it's an easy, scenic drive on 389 towards Colorado City and on into Utah when it becomes 59 in Utah. At Hurricane, UT go east on 9 to Springdale/Zion Nat'l Park. Watchman campground in the park is the place to stay - electric, water and a dump station. Very pretty and convenient to the shuttle.

Now... you didn't mention how you planned to get to Bryce from Zion but I'd highly recommend you backtrack on Hwy 9 west to I-15 north and pick up Hwy 20 at Circleville taking you to Hwy 89. Go south on 89 to Panguitch and then Hwy 12 to Bryce Canyon Nat'l Park. Stay at Ruby's RV if you need hookups. The shuttle stops right there.

Leaving Bryce for Salt Lake take 89 north to I-70... easy drive.

Have a great trip!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 04:25 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
2X on twogypsies routes. I suggest taking 89 through Page with a stop at Lake Powell.
Old 03-04-2018, 06:46 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You can go to this website and check out your route for grade changes. I use the website to check all my routes to help eliminate surprises. https://www.flattestroute.com
Old 03-05-2018, 04:59 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
stang37, The flattest route web site is very cool. I have bookmarked for future trips.
Thanks

Safe Travels and THE JOY IS IN THE RIDE
RV735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 06:06 AM   #6

Very cool! Thanks!
Old 03-06-2018, 09:28 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV735 View Post
stang37, The flattest route web site is very cool. I have bookmarked for future trips.
Thanks

Safe Travels and THE JOY IS IN THE RIDE
+1. Bookmarked.
FirstTracks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 10:36 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapiper View Post
We are planning our trip back north around April 20th, 2018, and are pulling a 40' fifth wheel.
We did that last summer, east from williams to flagstaff then US89 all the way to Kanab.
We did NOT do 89A.

US89 was uneventful in our 40' motorhome pulling the toad. We did stop at Lake Powell for the tour. They have a large parking lot for RV's. We stayed in Kanab and used the Toad to visit Zion. There was really cheap Diesel along the way MM498 that had the slowest pumps I every experienced. But was very inexpensive.
I just checked google street view, the 1 mile long Zion tunnel is 13'1" You might want to stay in Kanab and "toad" over to Zion like we did, its a very short ride up US89 again to hit Bryce. If you have dogs, the Red Canyon just before Bryce allows dogs on all the hiking trails.. Bryce has very few trails where pets are allowed. -Bill
2006 Allegro Bus 40 QDP IFS, 8.9L Vmspec, 1.5kw Solar + 400w Suitcase, 2@ 50amp & a 30amp Victron Smart MPPT's, 712BMV, SBS, CerboGX, 8.7kw LiFePo4, RR, MS2812, Max Transit, eero 6+ Mesh WiFi, Roof Mounted Starlink In-Motion dishy
BigBillSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 11:18 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBillSD View Post
I just checked google street view, the 1 mile long Zion tunnel is 13'1"
Beyond that, because of the curvature of the tunnel roof the NPS rangers stop traffic in the opposite direction for RVs to pass through, by driving down the middle of the road. They charge a $15 fee for doing so.

89 from Lake Powell to Kanab is indeed a breeze. The best route from Kanab to Zion for RVs, IMO, is to head south from Kanab on 89A to Fredonia, then west on AZ-389/UT-59 to Hurricane/La Verkin, then east on UT-9 to the main Zion gate at Springville. Yes it's more mileage, but because that road is wide open and relatively flat it shouldn't be much longer than the shorter route through the tunnel. I did that drive in the opposite direction in November, pulling my TT. Piece o'cake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBillSD View Post
If you have dogs, the Red Canyon just before Bryce allows dogs on all the hiking trails.. Bryce has very few trails where pets are allowed. -Bill
Ditto for Zion (and for most NPs). Zion only allows leashed dogs on the rather lame paved Pa'rus trail that follows the Virgin River behind the visitor's center:
https://www.nps.gov/zion/planyourvis...e_12_21_16.pdf

Another reason that I prefer the lands outside of NPs to those within them. Our visit to Zion in November was frought with complications ranging from not being able to bring dogs, to overcrowding in the park itself:

Really, the traffic crowding just got stupid:

FirstTracks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 06:47 PM   #10

If you go thru Page and on 89 to Kanab and then 89A to Fredonia then 389/59 to Hurricane, you might consider stopping at Pipe Spring National Monument, on the Kaibab Reservation, right off of 389. There is also a RV campground right across from it, operation by the Kaibab-Paiute Tribal Government. $25 a day, full hook up.

Kaibab Paiute Tribe RV Park

https://www.nps.gov/pisp/index.htm

Charles
Old 03-29-2018, 11:37 PM   #11

We live south of SLC and visit Zion twice a year. I believe you too tall but check the Zion nps website as there height, length and width restrictions. In addition there a steep cost and hours restrictions based on larger RVs. Going west via the tunnel the road is step and snakes down with no river pull outs. Lots for normal size cars and trucks. We camp always in Virgin in the virgin river valley park. Great place to stay and relax then drive your truck into the park.
Old 03-30-2018, 11:06 PM   #12

Thanks

I appreciate the tips. We have pretty much decided to go right to Bryce Canyon (Ruby's Inn) for a few days and take a day and drive the truck back to Zion. Our 5er is seeming to be a bit big for what we want to do, so this time through we are working around it.
Our biggest concern now is the weather. We need to be traveling north starting the 2nd week in April and hope we don't get any ice or high winds. Depending on the forecast, we may have to take the southern route past the mountains. 😝