Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-16-2011, 04:22 PM   #29

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Peace of cake, go slow enjoy the awesome million dollor sky way. Semi tankers tour busses and lots of RV's running this road all the time. I double tow my 30' Excel and 2 ATV's on a trailer to Silveton, Ouary, and GJ.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2011, 06:12 PM   #30

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chief02 View Post
Peace of cake, go slow enjoy the awesome million dollor sky way. Semi tankers tour busses and lots of RV's running this road all the time. I double tow my 30' Excel and 2 ATV's on a trailer to Silveton, Ouary, and GJ.
My opinion is that if someone isn't comfortable driving on this road, they not only endanger themselves but everyone else on the road with them. And, no, it's not the only road-but it is a road that's gotten a lot of notoriety.

Old 05-16-2011, 10:01 PM   #31

Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Just because it can be done, does not mean it should be done by anyone and everyone. I've traveled those roads many times in my Jeep and have encountered people driving rv's that were obviously fearful of the drop-offs. They had moved their rig left of center to stay away from the edge of the road. Was not a problem for me since I moved my fairly narrow Jeep to the right to give them clearence, but if I had been in my rv I might have been in a collision. Some people have the experience and skills to drive almost anything along those roads and some people (many) do not.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:32 PM   #32

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridafran View Post
Vegasdan,

All those wonderful places to go in the Jeep is what got us interested in greater San Juan Mts area. Thanks for the info on the falls. That's something the ones in our group who aren't into hiking can do. So far I've found some Jeep trails with falls or other scenic payouts that don't require hikes that are too long or strenuous for us all to do, as well as a few that Tom and I will probably tackle alone.

Unfortunately, Red Mountain Pass is between Ouray and Silverton so the RVs are going to have to stay north of there. My sister and her husband drove 550 several years ago in a camper van and she said she isn't about to do it now in a 30 ft motorhome. My husband has a bad habit (in my opinion) of hugging the outside white line when he's driving the RV. So no way would I want to go down 550 in anything but the Jeep.

Actually, I'm going to be working really hard between now and September to get him driving farther to the left side of his lane. First I have to prove to him that isn't centered, like he th8nks he is. Need someone to secretly video him.
Stay in Ouray, see the sights, but drive the Jeep over to Silverton. You'll see the train and a bunch of quaint shops and eateries. Make sure you take in the old Courthouse Jail with small museum. Just north through town in Silverton, you'll find the gold mill that offers a tour through the works that is very interesting. Further north up a gravel road is a ghost town with many structures still intact.
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 10:15 PM   #33

Thanks!!!

Thanks for posting this question and all the great answers. We are going this way this summer and were planning on driving south on 550 from Montrose to Durango and then on over to the Grand Canyon. We had no idea that it was a harrowing road. Now were going to take the right at Ridgway and go by Telluride and Delores.

Thanks to both the original poster and those with such helpful replies.

Michelle
micd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 12:07 PM   #34

Winnebago Owners Club
Stay in Ouray, see the sights, but drive the Jeep over to Silverton. You'll see the train and a bunch of quaint shops and eateries. Make sure you take in the old Courthouse Jail with small museum. Just north through town in Silverton, you'll find the gold mill that offers a tour through the works that is very interesting. Further north up a gravel road is a ghost town with many structures still intact.

Thanks, Dan. Any and all info like this is greatly appreciated. How hard is it to find that gravel road to the ghost town? Feel free to private message me with any info you're able to share.

Three months from now we'll be in SD. The day to leave can't get here fast enough.

Fran