Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 05-07-2011, 10:49 AM   #1
National RV Owners Club
Grand Junction to Durango

Hi all,
I'm a little reticent about Highway 550 from Grand Junction, CO to Durango, CO. I understand that it can be a bit of a white knuckler. Have any of you driven it with a Class A and a Toad ? We'll be driving a 37' TropiCal towing a Saturn Aura. What alternative route between those two towns would you suggest. I really don't want to go back to Denver and start over.

Coach: '05 National TropiCal T370 Toad: '07 Saturn Aura Blog:On The Road With Dar 'n' Don
michguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2011, 12:29 PM   #2
Freightliner Owners Club
I did it with my old Class C and a toad and it is truly a 'white knuckler'. Cliff on one side and a steep drop on the other side.

But it is a rite of passage for RVers just like driving Tioga Road or the Hogback.

Just take it slow and pull over when you can to let everyone by. Other than going to Denver, your only other option is going to Moab and taking 191 to 491 to 160.

Tom and Katharine
'07 Winnebago Tour 40TD, 400hp Cummins
RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 12:37 PM   #3
Ford Super Duty Owner
I vaction out there every year in my Jeep. This year i will be driveing my conversion towing the Jeep. (maybe on a trailer)
Yes it is a road to respect. pay attention to the road to look around like anyone would want to do, pull over and look. take your time and you should be fine.

And the whole stretch isn't all that bad. its just from Ouray past silverton and 1/2 to durango that is dangerous. Note I didn't say unsafe.

This rememined me about a saying at my work.
Just because something is dangerous doesn't mean it has to be unsafe.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 01:13 PM   #4
Monaco Owners Club
You can also go via 62/145/184/160 and come in to Durango from the west. You could stop in Telluride or Mesa Verde. If you have lots of time take 141 just south of GJ and drive along the Red Rock canyons of the Dolores River. Take it slow and enjoy!
Jim and Jennie, Cats=Bittles and Potter, 2000 Dynasty 350 ISC
2013 Silverado 4x4 Towed with R1200GS in bed.
PROV23:4 Do not wear yourself out to get rich; have the wisdom to show restraint.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 01:34 PM   #5
Very scenic drive, but you have to give the road 100% of your attention in spots. I rather enjoyed it, but wife wouldn't look. I can attach a couple pictures if you like.
alageezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 02:37 PM   #6
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I second what Coma recommended. It is just as pretty, just not nearly as dangerous. Once you get to Durango, take your Saturn and drive back over 550 to Ouray and enjoy the trip both ways. While large RVs and semis take that route every day, they are either experienced mountain drivers or are unfamiliar with what they face. Don't make that mistake. No need to go back to Denver, I don't know how anyone would get that idea.
Denny & Kylene, Abby (Golden) and Josie (Sheltie),
2004 Itasca Suncruiser 38R, W22, Ultrapower
2012 Jeep Wrangler Sport Unlimited
golden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 02:54 PM   #7
Drive it yourself. Your arms will definitely get lots of exercise, but you will be OK. Watch for all the other RVers, 18 wheelers, and busses.
Video 1
Video 2
'09 Pleasure Way Lexor, Chevrolet Express 3500 chassis, 6.0L V8
Last RV, 2005 NRV Dolphin 5342 (2007-2014)
two2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 07:49 PM   #8
just came over it 2 days ago 40 footer pulling a toad. there is one construction spot just out of ouray. road narrow at times but very doable .just pay attention and keep your speed down on descents and you will be fine
beaverfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 07:10 PM   #9
Solo Rvers Club
Originally Posted by two2go View Post
Drive it yourself. Your arms will definitely get lots of exercise, but you will be OK. Watch for all the other RVers, 18 wheelers, and busses.
I enjoyed watching your videos, but having been on the road many times, myself, in a jeep as a passenger from Durango to Montrose and driving myself in a truck (Durango to Silverton), in all honesty and fairness to the original poster, I don't think it gives the perspective of what the drive is really like. It may be my computer, but the drop offs weren't really well defined, and I wouldn't want the OP to think you can drive it that fast (I assume the film was sped up).

If someone is really afraid of height, I would recommend another route. The problem with 550 is once you're on it, there's no getting off. I know--I met a man on his first trip with a new motorhome in Durango and he was ready to sell it when he got to the camp ground. I thought he was going to have a heart attack and asked him if he was okay--he had no idea what he was in for and his wife was hysterical. He had driven down from Montrose.

This isn't meant to scare anyone, but it's advice from someone who was about to pass out as a passenger. It didn't bother my husband, but I wouldn't want to be on the road with other vehicles whose drivers were not very experienced mountain drivers. JMO
...memories so we might have roses in December - unknown
HoboPals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 09:49 PM   #10
Monaco Owners Club
been their done that !!! never ever again even if i have to go to Dallas to get around it
r314fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 10:03 PM   #11
Nit that we have any plans to travel that road, I'm glad I watched the video so I now know to avoid it. The scenery us amazing, but my goodness , what if you had a tire failure & it pulled you to that side. Or maybe an oncoming truck had a tire failure @ came into your lane . There's nowhere to go but down.
I wonder how many have dropped off that road
stepside454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 10:07 PM   #12
I drove the Million Dollar Highway years ago in a new 36ft Holiday Rambler 454 towing a light toad. Never again, not for a million dollars. White knuckle driving, tight turns, steep drop-offs, traffic that just wants to get home and you are holding them up. Not that anyone is discourteous, just I was driving 20mph and sweating, and they really just wanted to get home. There a few places to pull out that will accommodate the rig. I understand the scenery is beautiful, but I never got to see anything, as I was transfixed on the road. My memory of the trip is not as strong as my nightmares from the drive.
I have made the drive since then, a few times, always in the car. It really is a lovely drive, the scenery is fantastic, Ourway is very nice, Silverton is a great day trip, and we truly enjoy Durango and Mesa Verde.
Just find another route.
Happy Trails.
kalynzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 10:30 PM   #13

I driven that route several times. The first time was in a new (to me) 40' DP towing a Jeep on a trailer. I had the motorhome 4 days before driving that road. I was really apprehensive. Since then I have become much more familiar with centering in my lane and "adjusting" for tracking of my towed or trailer. If you feel confident with centering in your travel lane then you'll not have any problems. If you have problems staying centered in your lane with the motorhome and the towed then you may want to consider another route. If you take 550 just pay attention to driving and not the scenery.
A good but much longer route is GJ to Moab via I-70 & 191 to Monticello then 461 to 160 and then into Durango.
'02 Ultimate Advantage 40J Spartan MM - Cummins ISC
2013 Jeep Rubicon JK Unlimited
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 10:52 PM   #14
National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I took this route a couple years ago and would recommend it for bypassing the passes through the San Juans between Ouray and Durango. From Grand Junction take Hwy 50 to Hwy 141. Follow 141 to Vancorum, then Hwy90 west into Utah to Hwy 191 then south to Montecello. Take Hwy491 east to Cortez and over to Durango on 160. You will see some beautiful country on Hwy 141 although it is twisty. No passes to cross so you can relax those knuckles. It's more miles but hey, who's in a hurry?

2001 National Tradewinds 7370 300 Cat
2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
Officially fulltiming. The Journey Begins
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote