Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 08-14-2014, 10:35 PM   #1
Grand Teton NP to Denver

We are planning a trip that will take us from Grand Teton NP to Denver Colorado then on to New Mexico.When we leave Grand Teton NP we are looking at three possible routes. The first, is to take hwys 26 and 287 to Rawlings then follow I-80 to I-25 and follow it to Denver.The second option is to follow hwy 189 South to hwy 89 and then follow hwy 30 to I-80.From there is over to I-25 and on to Denver.The third option is to follow hwys 189 and 191 to Rock Springs on I-80 an d on to Denver.

Can anyone comment on which of these routes is the most scenic (we like mountains) and/or most interesting?Also, is there are any potential problems with any of them driving a 34 ft diesel motor home pulling a CRV?We will be making the trip in the last week of September -any weather problems?We are not in a big hurry and may stop for a couple of nights if there is something interesting along any of these routes (still waiting for the Wyoming Tourist Guide to arrive) .More interested in seeing the sites.

Jim, Lisa and Sailor, the Australian Terrier
Thor Palazzo 33.1
Freedom65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2014, 07:00 AM   #2
Have you read

Tetons to Golden

2004 Winnebago Journey 39W - 2012 Buick Enclave
Present @home Home: Oshkosh, WI
We call our rig "Ernie the Journey"

skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 12:09 PM   #3
I had read that post first but am looking for comments on the scenery on the different routes. Not necessarily looking for the shortest or fastest route. Happy to take any route as long as it is safe
Thor Palazzo 33.1
Old 08-15-2014, 06:42 PM   #4
I did a portion of #3 in June (Teton to Estes Park, hopped off 80 early so we could take the Trail Ridge Road). Shouldn't be any problems for your rig on that route if the weather is good and it was relatively scenic (you do leave the mountains behind pretty early on).
Just a Mutt and his two humans...
TT: 2017 Rockwood 2109S
TV: 2012 GMC Sierra 5.3l/3.42/Equal-i-zer
TCNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 12:15 PM   #5
I went from Colorado Springs to Colter Bay at GTNP in a day towing a 35' FW last week. I'll never do that again. We stopped at a friends place for a few days in CS and he said 6-8 hrs to GTNP... I didn't bother to look it up until the night before we were scheduled to be at Colter Bay. I always add 40% t he GPS time to plan for fuel/ rest/ eating stops. The GPS said 10 hrs 11 min. It took 14 hrs running at pretty much max legal speed... not something I am fond of doing when towing the 5er. Anyway, we opted for route 80 because, even though longer, it supposedly saves time do to freeway speeds. Well, there's a pt of construction for the first 150 miles of 80 so speeds are indeed slowed. Therefore, take the more scenic route for sure.
cptgregger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 01:01 PM   #6
I like the Rock Springs route so that we can stop early RS and take the wild horse loop to see the magnificent wild mustangs.
dsbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 01:28 PM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
The route US 26 to US 287 will take you over Togwotee Pass (not a bad road) and down the Wind River Valley. You'll Pass some unique and beautiful scenery between Togwotee Pass and Dubois, WY. The Pinnacles, Lava Mountain, Brooks Falls, Ram's Horn, etc. From there, the scenery changes to badlands and more nifty views of the Wind River Mountains, tallest in WY. If you continue on US 26, you'll be going through open range to Casper, then S on I-25 to Denver. If you go to US 287, you'll pass through wide open country with almost sure spotting of pronghorns. Between Lander and WY 135 intersection you'll be along the Oregon Trail. At Split Rock there's a rest area at a bluff overlooking the Oregon Trail and site of a Pony Express Station. Stop and stretch you legs as you look at the historical markers. At Rawlings I-80 goes east over the Medicine Bow Mountains to Laramie and Cheyenne. You could 'cut the corner' at Laramie and go SE on US 287 to Ft. Collins, but it's only a 2 lane road with some passing lanes on grades. Easier on the driver and riders to go I-80 to I-25.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 12:47 PM   #8
Thanks for all the input. That helps us plan our route. Nothing like advice from people who have been there.

Thor Palazzo 33.1