Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-30-2017, 07:45 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
Busskipper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Arnold, MD -- Golden, CO
Posts: 1,253
Quote:
Originally Posted by marknpeg View Post

Or...I am definitely open to other routes through more of Wyoming if it's interesting. I've never been in that state and I can't wait to see as much as I can.
Will you be in Yellowstone First?

If so coming in through Cody?

Might look at Wind River Canyon as a neat day drive - along with Red Lodge and the Beartooth - Chief Joseph is another - Just sooooo much to see and do in the area, just never enough TIME.

Just a thought,
__________________

__________________
Busskipper
Arnold, MD - and - Superior, CO
2005 Travel Supreme 42DS04
Busskipper is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2017, 08:18 AM   #16
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Colorado Mountains
Posts: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by marknpeg View Post
...Since Loveland is right at the base of Estes, we'll be headed up there and anywhere else we can get to in a day trip.
Hmmm, completely understand the desire to go to Estes Park since it really is close from Loveland, but that time of year, Estes will be even more crazy with chaos and tourists because of the Aspens and Elk rut. I've personally lost any desire to go to Estes any longer as it has become so much about the money there, it truly has lost its CO charm.

It would definitely be a longer day trip, but consider heading out to the Buena Vista/Salida area.

If that is too far, Georgetown and up over Guanella Pass will net some awesome Aspen scenery. Georgetown had (not sure if it's still there) a cafe that was featured on a ghost hunter type show. They have the video there and will put it on for you to watch while you're enjoying lunch. Story is about a Georgetown local who was accused of murder and there was a vigilante mob who lynched him without a trial. It is said his ghost haunts that building. Haunted Colorado Mysteries: Georgetown lynching, Silverheels and a black hole of death

Up through Idaho Springs to Echo Lake, there is a nice hike one can take which goes up Chicago Creek. Additionally, there is also the paid entrance to drive to the top of Mt Evans right next to Echo Lake... if it is still open when you're there.

Hwy 285 to Kenosha Pass will also net great Aspen scenery. Kenosha Pass is on the south side and down Hwy 285 a bit further from where Guanella Pass is and can be connected from a trip to Georgetown.

Point is, don't just limit yourself to areas in and around Estes Park because it is the closest to Longmont/Loveland. If you're not a big fan of crowds, I would probably steer clear of Estes around that time, it will be a "zoo".
__________________

__________________
RedRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 05:58 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
marknpeg's Avatar
 
Newmar Owners Club
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Somewhere out west
Posts: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busskipper View Post
Will you be in Yellowstone First?



If so coming in through Cody?



Might look at Wind River Canyon as a neat day drive - along with Red Lodge and the Beartooth - Chief Joseph is another - Just sooooo much to see and do in the area, just never enough TIME.



Just a thought,


Actually we will be visiting friends in Missoula before Yellowstone so we will be coming in from the west side. I think we will have one or two weeks to get from Missoula to Yellowstone so we're trying to plan that leg now.
__________________
Mark, Peggy and Samson on the road full time
2016 Newmar Ventana 3709 and a 2016 Subaru Crosstrek
Real Life in the Cloud
marknpeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 06:01 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
marknpeg's Avatar
 
Newmar Owners Club
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Somewhere out west
Posts: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocket View Post
Hmmm, completely understand the desire to go to Estes Park since it really is close from Loveland, but that time of year, Estes will be even more crazy with chaos and tourists because of the Aspens and Elk rut. I've personally lost any desire to go to Estes any longer as it has become so much about the money there, it truly has lost its CO charm.

It would definitely be a longer day trip, but consider heading out to the Buena Vista/Salida area.

If that is too far, Georgetown and up over Guanella Pass will net some awesome Aspen scenery. Georgetown had (not sure if it's still there) a cafe that was featured on a ghost hunter type show. They have the video there and will put it on for you to watch while you're enjoying lunch. Story is about a Georgetown local who was accused of murder and there was a vigilante mob who lynched him without a trial. It is said his ghost haunts that building. Haunted Colorado Mysteries: Georgetown lynching, Silverheels and a black hole of death

Up through Idaho Springs to Echo Lake, there is a nice hike one can take which goes up Chicago Creek. Additionally, there is also the paid entrance to drive to the top of Mt Evans right next to Echo Lake... if it is still open when you're there.

Hwy 285 to Kenosha Pass will also net great Aspen scenery. Kenosha Pass is on the south side and down Hwy 285 a bit further from where Guanella Pass is and can be connected from a trip to Georgetown.

Point is, don't just limit yourself to areas in and around Estes Park because it is the closest to Longmont/Loveland. If you're not a big fan of crowds, I would probably steer clear of Estes around that time, it will be a "zoo".


Awesome suggestions! We will be there for a month so the more places to see the better. We have been to Estes before and loved it, but love to know about different places, especially if the crowds are smaller. Thank you!
__________________
Mark, Peggy and Samson on the road full time
2016 Newmar Ventana 3709 and a 2016 Subaru Crosstrek
Real Life in the Cloud
marknpeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 08:01 AM   #19
Crash Test Blonde :-)
 
Stripe34's Avatar


 
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: In transit :-)
Posts: 2,042
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by marknpeg View Post
Actually we will be visiting friends in Missoula before Yellowstone so we will be coming in from the west side. I think we will have one or two weeks to get from Missoula to Yellowstone so we're trying to plan that leg now.
Take RT 191 south from Bozeman, then. Hike beehive basin: rated as one of the top ten hikes in the WORLD (near Big Sky). Lava Lake is a beautiful hike, also. Samson can do both hikes.

HTH

- CC
__________________
CC, Paul, & Duckie (ACD)
'17 DSDP4018, Wrangler toad
Stripe34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 01:40 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
marknpeg's Avatar
 
Newmar Owners Club
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Somewhere out west
Posts: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripe34 View Post
Take RT 191 south from Bozeman, then. Hike beehive basin: rated as one of the top ten hikes in the WORLD (near Big Sky). Lava Lake is a beautiful hike, also. Samson can do both hikes.

HTH

- CC
Perfect, I'm planning on both of them! Looks like they are both 5-7 miles long, so Samson will probably have to stay home. He's done a lot of hikes with us over the years but at 12 years old, while he's still in great shape, he hits a limit at 2 miles these days. He still loves to get out though! This is on the Green Mountain Trail in Mammoth Cave NP.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3521.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	540.4 KB
ID:	167128  
__________________
Mark, Peggy and Samson on the road full time
2016 Newmar Ventana 3709 and a 2016 Subaru Crosstrek
Real Life in the Cloud
marknpeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 11:49 AM   #21
Senior Member
 
Superslif's Avatar
 
Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: NE. Ohio USA
Posts: 4,529
Quote:
Actually we will be visiting friends in Missoula before Yellowstone so we will be coming in from the west side. I think we will have one or two weeks to get from Missoula to Yellowstone so we're trying to plan that leg now.
Coming into Yellowstone from the Gardener / Mammoth the route going down the western flank of the park between Mammoth and Norris is narrow the first 5 miles and there is a 3-5 mile construction zone with pilot cars about half way.
__________________

__________________
Jim, Diane & Robert ~ NE. OH.
2013 Aerolite Hybrid #232 ES
2014 Toyota Tundra Limited 5.7L
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Grand Junction, CO to Loveland tomorrow jdocter7 iRV2.com General Discussion 7 05-30-2012 06:52 PM
YELLOWSTONE, GLACIER & GRAND TETON PARK INFO OpaRon Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports 3 06-01-2008 03:13 AM
Grand Teton gordonandpatti Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports 2 08-18-2007 04:23 PM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.